• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics With Balls - Golden Age Sports Comics

148 posts in this topic

I was going to post, but I realized I posted all the baseball ones I had in bucket in my tribute to spring training thread yesterday. He's a cool toy though from the 1920's. Got a lot of other sports books but I'm too lazy to dig the box out again so I will let you guys dazzle me!

baseballgame_zpsg9nslb1s.jpg

What a game! Since we're going far afield from comics for a moment...

153351.jpg.ec99a6d1c0d02f96ac60e2075ee77ab6.jpg

Great stuff guys. Thx for the hockey cover pics especially. Didn't really know there were any GA hockey covers (aside from Active 20 and funny animal titles). I don't have a copy :( but Here's an image

71383-11961-104381-1-active-comics.jpg

I was going to post, but I realized I posted all the baseball ones I had in bucket in my tribute to spring training thread yesterday. He's a cool toy though from the 1920's. Got a lot of other sports books but I'm too lazy to dig the box out again so I will let you guys dazzle me!

baseballgame_zpsg9nslb1s.jpg

What a game! Since we're going far afield from comics for a moment...

Nice machine! I deal in those when I can find them. Never seen that one!

As you can probably guess, my favorite Golden Age title is Boy Comics. And no title combined hard boiled crime stories with sports quite so well - or so often - as Boy Comics. Actually, I'm not sure it occurred to anyone else to try it.

Some of these images are pretty bad, which I apologize for; some of the comics themselves look really bad, which is just the nature of my collection:

Boxing!

7035503_orig.jpg

3378913_orig.jpg

5511843_orig.jpg

Golf!

8179957_orig.jpg

Basketball!

8707877_orig.jpg

2252336_orig.jpg

Hockey!

2346553_orig.jpg

1924859_orig.jpg

Auto racing!

4642015_orig.jpg

Jousting?!

4544545_orig.jpg

Football!

9408060_orig.jpg

Baseball!

9916110_orig.jpg

Cross Country, even!

7975229_orig.jpg

Fencing!!

5209336_orig.jpg

I forgot about BOY. Losts of sports in those. I love the #23 and the #99 is real action packed and violent!

What sport are you talking about here Cat? Cross country decapitation? Crack that puppy out and show what I know you want us to see or take it over to the EC thread! Show us that playing field!!!

Cracking it out ain't necessary, ...I can just go to Barney (Google), find the right image, upload & repost:

The-Baseball-Game_zpsksjj6khw.jpg

Budda-bing, budda-bang, budda-boom! :grin:

And, I hereby argue that BILLIARDS is a balls-based sport....yes, a sport

It requires great skill, concentration, practice, competition...

...and, they show it on ESPN. :acclaim:

I have more billiards covers that I need to scan up, but this'll get me started:

Look how exhausted this guy is who is sitting down, wiping his face, cig dangling out of his mouth:

mrdistrictatty52f.jpg

What sport are you talking about here Cat? Cross country decapitation? Crack that puppy out and show what I know you want us to see or take it over to the EC thread! Show us that playing field!!!

Cracking it out ain't necessary, ...I can just go to Barney (Google), find the right image, upload & repost:

The-Baseball-Game_zpsksjj6khw.jpg

Budda-bing, budda-bang, budda-boom! :grin:

That's the ticket Cat! Wow that story was so wrong in such a good way. Only Jack Davis could do that story. Oh, awsome copy!!!