• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You make the call.......

159 posts in this topic

Sorry, no sympathy for the seller here. Anyone who has done this for any amount of time knows that the PO is famous for doubling over envelopes into mailboxes. All the cardboard in the world will not prevent this.

It does not matter what the official policy of the PO is, or whether someone writes instructions on the package. It happens and almost everyone here has had it happen to them.

I have shipped/received hundreds of books in boxes and have never had a problem.

I have received maybe half a dozen books in the envelope/cardboard setup and probably half of those ended up doubled over in my MB.

I have actually received a couple (ebay) that did not have cardboard, and they were in better shape than the ones with cardboard because they could be folded more loosely without forcing a crease.

Things boardies are snobbish about:

1) The strictness of their grading. They will actually compete to be the one who estimates the lowest grade for a given book.

2) The quality of their packaging. Oh, you only use ordinary cardboard? I thought everyone used triwall... And it goes without saying that was wrapped in enough bubblewrap to make the whole package spherical... When I asked if it was in a box, I of course meant was the boxed bubblewrapped triwall cardboard sandwich in a box...

1) The strictness of their grading. They will actually compete to be the one who estimates the lowest grade for a given book.

2) The quality of their packaging. Oh, you only use ordinary cardboard? I thought everyone used triwall... And it goes without saying that was wrapped in enough bubblewrap to make the whole package spherical... When I asked if it was in a box, I of course meant was the boxed bubblewrapped triwall cardboard sandwich in a box...

:roflmao: So true.

:signfunny: But this only seems to happen in please grade my book threads. Doesn't translate to selling threads all that much, with a few notable exceptions.

:roflmao: Perfect :applause:

"Cut a hole in a box", 2: "Put your junk in that box", 3: "Make her open the box... and that's the way you do it!".

Wait... what were we talking about again?

If I ship something much over $20, it goes in a box. As a percentage of the total cost, the extra shipping should barely be commented on by the buyer I'd think.

The other side of it is... I want to conserve whatever it is that I'm shipping. If it is rare, or valuable in some way, I personally don't want to see it damaged so I'll take extra steps to avoid that if I can.

I don't care what I'm buying. Anything damaged in transit is the seller's responsibility. The only exception would be if I have chosen on my own to go with a cheaper shipping option. Then that is on me.
even choosing a cheaper shipping option, its not on you. Seller has a responsibility to get it to you undamaged, no matter what the shipping cost was.

I can't believe this became a thread like this (okay maybe I can lol)

I was the buyer in this thread. I Get hundreds of packages to my PO box and this was the first time they tried to shove an envelope in.

I wrote the seller and explained, and that I was very upset with the post office person, but they told me (after apoligizing) that there was no "fragile" or "do not bend" anywhere and that didn't help.

When I saw this, I still have the PO heck and then wrote the seller when I got home. I was looking for an apology or atleast some empathy. I offered him the idea of throwing me some sort of $50 concession book as a favor to him because when he was selling the books he old me he really needed the money and I thought that meant he would be hard pressed to refund. It wasn't an ultimatum, it was a suggestion. In fact I noted in the PM that if he really wanted, he could not send me any money and Id keep the books (and it wasn't a guilt trip!)......as an aside the books low grade so the impact was limited, and I was trying to be a nice guy.

In the sellers eyes, this was everyone else's fault, but his. I agree the post office really eff'd up here, but shipping with an envelope (and then not marking anythjng on the package, and then being nasty with the buyer?)

The cost to use a priority box is like $2 more, by the way.

I'm so over this now :facepalm:

I don't care what I'm buying. Anything damaged in transit is the seller's responsibility. The only exception would be if I have chosen on my own to go with a cheaper shipping option. Then that is on me.
even choosing a cheaper shipping option, its not on you. Seller has a responsibility to get it to you undamaged, no matter what the shipping cost was.

+1

Although shadrock feels it is the buyer's choice to insure a package, if any of shadroch's buyers chose not to insure their shipment, Paypal would still refund the buyer out of shadrock's account, for items lost or delivered damaged (not as described), when buyer files a claim.

Kid nap his dog and hold it for a hefty ransom....

Today's word on Mr. Robinson's neighborhood is ransom.

Can you use the word ransom in a sentence boys and girls?

I ran some dog out the yard and now its mine.

No offense if Party A is reading, but once the buyer hints that I can make a problem go away by sending them a gift/discount, I mark them down as a scammer and assume they've been lying from the start.

If something goes wrong you return for a full refund. That's it. Any suggestion that you aren't happy but could be shut up with a few notes is extortion and I won't fall for it.

hm

When a seller gets merchandise returned for "not as described", they have the potential to sell it to someone else, who might be quite happy with it, for the same, or more than, the amount they got from the original buyer.

If a buyer returns merchandise for "not as described", they are out the cost of return shipping, and have no means of recouping that loss.

Doesn't seem very fair, does it...?

Frankly, it's one of the scummier aspects of refunds, and I nearly always ask for a partial refund to avoid precisely this scenario. I have a real problem with it.

And no, contrary to the opinions of some, this isn't a sign that the buyer is trying to "scam" the seller, though I understand it's hard to prove.

No offense if Party A is reading, but once the buyer hints that I can make a problem go away by sending them a gift/discount, I mark them down as a scammer and assume they've been lying from the start.

If something goes wrong you return for a full refund. That's it. Any suggestion that you aren't happy but could be shut up with a few notes is extortion and I won't fall for it.

hm

When a seller gets merchandise returned for "not as described", they have the potential to sell it to someone else, who might be quite happy with it, for the same, or more than, the amount they got from the original buyer.

If a buyer returns merchandise for "not as described", they are out the cost of return shipping, and have no means of recouping that loss.

Doesn't seem very fair, does it...?

Frankly, it's one of the scummier aspects of refunds, and I nearly always ask for a partial refund to avoid precisely this scenario. I have a real problem with it.

And no, contrary to the opinions of some, this isn't a sign that the buyer is trying to "scam" the seller, though I understand it's hard to prove.

A full refund is a full refund, including return shipping. That's how it works, whether I am buyer or seller. I was thinking in particular of a time I sold a cheap slab on ebay and the buyer claimed it had a crack in the case. "Oh no, I'm so sorry, I had no idea. Please send me a picture." I said, but the buyer couldn't send a picture. Claimed you could see the crack in my original picture. Er, no, it's perfect, like I thought. Send it back anyway and I will refund everything. But no, the buyer wanted it, he just wanted a little something to make up for the crack... meh

That's the type of buyer I had in mind when I posted that!