• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leonard Nimoy passed away this morning...

126 posts in this topic

RIP. :(

R.I.P. Mr. Nimoy,

I remember the very first Star Trek episode I ever saw, The Devil In The Dark, about the Horta, a creature who ate through rock and was attacking a mining installation. I remember it clearly, I was about six years old and ST TOS had just started in re-runs in the early 70s. I remember how cool the show was, and especially how cool Mr. Spock was. I remember admiring the intellect of the character, I was captivated by the "Vulcan Mind-Meld" and I immediately connected with the "logical" Science Officer of Mr. Spock - and I was never the same since. Mr. Spock was an IMMENSE influence on my childhood.

I also remember eagerly watching his TV show "In Search Of..." every week in the mid70's - and in fact, the title of my doctoral dissertation included an homage to Leonard Nimoy's "In Search Of..." TV show title.

And now that I have a son, he's a young teenager who is also entirely captivated by "Mr. Spock", and has absorbed the logical, analytical mindset of the classic Vulcan character. He too is a deeply-hooked fan of all-things-Star-Trek and especially all-things-Spock related.

Mr. Nimoy, your contributions to American culture are legendary.

Go boldly sir.....