• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Predictions??

66 posts in this topic

shield-

If I were you I would cancel any plans I had and be sitting at the 'puter when that one is about to close. Max out at the last possible minute. "Auction theory" would suggest that in a proxy bidding situation you don't want to involve your money until you absolutely have to. Let someone else max out on it first. If your response max bid doesn't take it, it just wasn't meant to be. Good Luck!

PS- Hello 300 for me!

One word: Auctionsniper.com

The amount I am willing to pay for a book CAN DEPEND on the amount OTHERS are willing to PAY.

That's why automatic sniping would not necessarily work for me.

Assume that I consider $1,000 as the most I wanted to pay for a book (and it's a rare book, not often seen for sale).

In the last few minutes the price goes to $1,000, then another bidder goes to $1,050 and a third bidder goes to $1,100.

Will I consider bidding higher? YES. Simply because the DEMAND shows me that there are several other bidders interested. I now realize that $1,000 probably will never get that book, because if another comes up for sale, there could still be several interested parties who didn't win it the first time.

Just my thoughts.

The only reason I mention it is that I like to be able to go out and do other things rather than watching the seconds tick by on an auction. It also allows you to enter a bid without getting emotionally caught up in last minute bidding. Just my philosophy.

Yeah, but you wouldn't even bid on the book in question as it's not an 8.0.

Usually not, but I have to admit that I'm getting tempted on a few GA books in the (DARE I SAY), VG to FN range. If I'm lucky I'll pick up my first one today. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

yer shootin' for the Great #3 after all?

Actually, No. But I do like the cover a lot.

I'm not tipping my hand at this point, but as much as I do like the Great #3, it would hard for me to spend that much on a mid-grade book, unless it was a key (i.e. first appearance of a well known character).

The more I stare at the back cover, especially with the chips out of the top and bottom of the spine, the less I want this copy. I just don't think it's that much better than the copy someone else showed in this thread...

The more I stare at the back cover, especially with the chips out of the top and bottom of the spine, the less I want this copy. I just don't think it's that much better than the copy someone else showed in this thread...

That'd be my copy, Shield, and yes I'd have to agree with you. Although the spine on mine has some tatty bits, I didn't think this 5.5 looked that much better than my 3.5 to justify the expenditure. So I passed...but if a nice f/vf comes along, look out!

Wow, sf, I'm impressed! Awesome book, and not a bad price either. Those early Fantastics deserve premiums, even in lowgrade let alone mid and highgrade.

Very nice pickup. thumbsup2.gif And proof that you have taste beyond the label. stooges.gif