• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LUKE CAGE on Netflix
2 2

383 posts in this topic

Oddly enough, even the Marvel site lists his place of birth as New York City. Why change this to Savannah, Georgia?

Because of Mike Colter's thick southern accent. :insane:

lol

I do like him in the role, though.

Watched the first two episodes last night. I like it.

One of the things that doesn't resonate with me is the "reluctant hero" theme that permeated JJ and now LC. I think part of the reason that it seems slow to hardcore comics fans is that we know the backstory. We don't need any set-up; we need less characterization, because we already "know" the characters. They spend a lot of time "world-building," and it feels slow moving.

I don't get the bashing on the acting or the writing. Looking forward to getting further in!

One of the things that doesn't resonate with me is the "reluctant hero" theme that permeated JJ and now LC. I think part of the reason that it seems slow to hardcore comics fans is that we know the backstory. We don't need any set-up; we need less characterization, because we already "know" the characters. They spend a lot of time "world-building," and it feels slow moving.

I don't get the bashing on the acting or the writing. Looking forward to getting further in!

The slow comes later.

If you think the first two episodes are slow, oh boy, wait until you get to episodes 7-8-9-10.

The slow comes later.

If you think the first two episodes are slow, oh boy, wait until you get to episodes 7-8-9-10.

I'm only 5 in and I wish you were joking, but I know you're not :(

I'm up to episode 10, been binge watching it the last 2 days and and I'm really digging it, unlike Jessica Jones which was horrible and so hard to get through. It's not as good as Daredevil as a whole, but it's not too far behind. There's plenty of "Oh S----t!" moments and I'm interested in seeing which characters make it out alive at the end.

I'll say that Mama Mabel is ice cold!

The whole series is slow. I'm not a big fan of it. I like the style of it, but it fails with its dumb bad guys and silly side characters.

You mean like:

a mob boss coming to a meeting alone and without protection, to meet a dirty cop who he doesn't trust, which turns into a shootout, where the mob boss wounds and disarms the cop, then leaves him wounded and unarmed without finishing him off, so he can then plot to kill the cop that he could have finished off in the first place.....that kind of dumb bad guy?

The whole series is slow. I'm not a big fan of it. I like the style of it, but it fails with its dumb bad guys and silly side characters.

You mean like:

a mob boss coming to a meeting alone and without protection, to meet a dirty cop who he doesn't trust, which turns into a shootout, where the mob boss wounds and disarms the cop, then leaves him wounded and unarmed without finishing him off, so he can then plot to kill the cop that he could have finished off in the first place.....that kind of dumb bad guy?

Exactly, except:

the mob boss also has daddy issues. Which is why he hates the cop so much. He's jealous.

You mean like:

Exactly, except:

the mob boss also has daddy issues. Which is why he hates the cop so much. He's jealous.

So, then

why did he not finish Scarfe off, after shooting him, leaving him unarmed, and bleeding on the street? That's a witness that puts him inside for 25 years and he sent people out to kill him afterwards anyway.

It was a poorly constructed plot device, to get Scarfe to find Cage, to tell Cage where his record book of all the dirty dealings was, to have Cage and Scarfe reenact a poor man's "Gauntlet" trying to get Scarfe to police HQ.

Still muscling though this so I don't miss and broader Marvel Netflix plot points....still laughing at how horrible the acting and writing is....got a question:

So Luke has bent dozens of guns throughout the show, rendering them useless; was anyone else bothered by the fact that he didn't bend the one gun that contained bullets that could actually hurt him?!? Episode 8 was an absolute dumpster fire. Never was there an easier opportunity to bend a gun barrel than there was with injured Diamondback in the theatre :facepalm:

I give it a B, there was enough in it that I would watch it again, which can't be said for Jessica Jones.

I'd rate the series higher if not for the last episode going all Rocky V with the street fight scene. That was just awful

I finally plowed through this. It was not easy. So much hype from critics and video blogs that I feel is greatly undeserved. As so many of you here have stated, the dialogue is not only lame, but it does very little to develop the story.

The almost constant flashbacks simply dramatize the exposition that has already been firmly stated again and again. I believe the back story should either be expounded on OR flashback it, but doing both just drags out the show making 13 hours of show feel like 36 hours.

It literally took me 8 days to get through this all, like trying to consume a giant plate of overcooked-unseasoned veggies. Unlike Daredevil that I gobbled-up in a day and a half period of time.

And for some other thoughts:

I sort of like the diamond back costume. (It could have used more "armor" imo). I think he should have been wearing it from first appearance. It would better support the fact that Luke didn't hand him his @ss, when he got his hands on him the first time. He had access to hammer industries tech from the start, and the "big reveal" was anti-climactic.

Overall, I find the lack of actual "super" villains in the entire story arc; which should be a challenge for a super strong, bullet-poof Luke; to be unsuspensful.

They turned Cottonmouth into a gangster who doesn't even have the fangs, which I think they could have given him a grille or something or explained he had implants to make him like Jaws (james bond ref). He winds-up getting offed (not run out of town, or arrested) by a normal unsuper-powered woman who he gets mad.

If his backstory had been that he was beaten so bad as a teen that they knocked-out all of his teeth, and eventually had implants, it would have been better, IMO.

I actually liked the cottonmouth actor and the character had so much potential, but he fell completely flat..His motivations seemed disconnected to me.

I was hoping after a few episodes that Cottonmouth would be shown to be a gangster for unwilling reasons. Like him actually wanting to be seen as a prestigious hero to the community, a role that Luke Cage was actually taking-on despite his own unwillingness to be seen that way.

And that cottonmouth would prove to be a more diabolical person with Machiavellian wheels turning in all sorts of places.

I won't even comment on the unsuper-powered shades. I can't even begin to expound on what is wrong with the iteration.

-Terry

I finished the series last night. I think I will stick with my 7.5 score I gave earlier. I think my expectationss were too high (I was expecting something close to the The Wire) and maybe skewed my perspective a little bit. I think the writing got progressively worse as the series went on, the last episode especially was a cringeworthy. I appreciate the message the series was going for (the Method Man montage was great) and the use of music and even the cinematography was good. Like the other Netflix Marvel series, i think the series felt 2-3 episodes too long (maybe it's just the result of me binging). I would still recommend the series but I think the other Marvel Netflix shows were better.

Made it up to episode 6 this weekend and I'm really enjoying it. Loved, loved the Luke Cage origins episode and all the stuff that only comic book fans would appreciate. I'm in no rush like Stranger Things to see the end but it is keeping me watching.

cage is after my time as a kid collector, and hasn't been part of my adult revival in collecting, SO, i watched with no background bias. i liked it very much. love the rosario dawson character, and thought shades was pretty cool.