• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LUKE CAGE on Netflix
2 2

383 posts in this topic

Watched another episode...not sure why they felt the need to butcher the origin of the character. Cop? Former military? Oy freaking vey.

I disagree.

Finding out Copperhead was the person that had impacted his life in a negative way, and making him into an escaped convict, seemed to make Luke Cage that much more sympathetic. And Copperhead that much more loathsome.

I really didn't have an issue with that.

Watched another episode...not sure why they felt the need to butcher the origin of the character. Cop? Former military? Oy freaking vey.

I disagree.

Finding out Copperhead was the person that had impacted his life in a negative way, and making him into an escaped convict, seemed to make Luke Cage that much more sympathetic. And Copperhead that much more loathsome.

You may not have a problem with it, but it completely changes the character.

And I'm not talking about the headband or chain belt or yellow shirt. I'm talking about the essence of the character. Making him an ex cop is a pretty far departure.

Absolutely!

I loved DD Season 1, but for me Season 2 was far superior.

Same Here. I was surprised that a few posters thought 1 was better. While 1 was outstanding, I felt 2 was even superior.

I loved Season 2 also but for me Kingpin was where it's at. The moment I heard D'Onofrio was playing the role, I was hooked. First time I saw him was on the film Adventures in Babysitting when I was 7. I remember that one of the kids in the film thought he was Thor because he had a hammer & the Thor helmet. I loved watching him on Law & Order: Criminal Intent also. I was happy to see him get the role of Kingpin, so I guess I just felt more of a connection to the 1st Season. Punisher & Stick were great but Elektra was ok for me.

I think I enjoyed the 1st season more, even though I enjoyed the 2nd season, I was really disappointed how they handled Elektra.

I loved season 2, but was also a bit disappointed with how the Elektra story ended.

This will go against a lot of the opinions here, but I wasn't a huge fan of the way they handled Fisk in the first season.

Absolutely!

Same Here. I was surprised that a few posters thought 1 was better. While 1 was outstanding, I felt 2 was even superior.

I loved Season 2 also but for me Kingpin was where it's at. The moment I heard D'Onofrio was playing the role, I was hooked. First time I saw him was on the film Adventures in Babysitting when I was 7. I remember that one of the kids in the film thought he was Thor because he had a hammer & the Thor helmet. I loved watching him on Law & Order: Criminal Intent also. I was happy to see him get the role of Kingpin, so I guess I just felt more of a connection to the 1st Season. Punisher & Stick were great but Elektra was ok for me.

I think I enjoyed the 1st season more, even though I enjoyed the 2nd season, I was really disappointed how they handled Elektra.

I loved season 2, but was also a bit disappointed with how the Elektra story ended.

This will go against a lot of the opinions here, but I wasn't a huge fan of the way they handled Fisk in the first season.

Did Fisk seem a little...I dunno, whiny to you?

DD1 was much much better then season 2 in my opinion. Fight scenes were better - Kingpin was better - whole season was better in my opinion.

Absolutely!

Did Fisk seem a little...I dunno, whiny to you?

Yes. I'm hoping that is cause it was sort of his origin and when he comes back he'll be a hardened crime lord.

DD1 was much much better then season 2 in my opinion. Fight scenes were better - Kingpin was better - whole season was better in my opinion.

Now you're going to force me back to watch both seasons all over again to remind myself.

:whee::whee:

I disagree.

And I'm not talking about the headband or chain belt or yellow shirt. I'm talking about the essence of the character. Making him an ex cop is a pretty far departure.

Although the Savannah, Georgia part seems to be a change - in addition to his becoming a cop to better his life and contribute to his community - I'm not sure if Season 1 revealed many of the details from his teenage years.

Could it be this is saved for a later episode, leading to us finding out what directed his to become a police officer? Possibly.

http://marvel.com/universe/Cage,_Luke

Born and raised in Harlem, Carl Lucas spent his youth in a gang called the Bloods. With his friend Willis Stryker, he fought the rival gang the Diablos and committed petty thefts, often on behalf of deformed crimelord Sonny Caputo, a.k.a. Hammer. In and out of juvenile homes throughout his teens, Lucas dreamed of becoming a major New York racketeer until he finally realized how his actions were hurting his family; he sought to better himself as an adult, finding legitimate employment. Meanwhile, Stryker rose through the ranks of crime, but the two men remained friends. When Stryker's activities angered the Maggia (a.k.a. the Syndicate), he was badly beaten in a mob hit, saved only by Lucas's intervention. When Stryker's girlfriend, Reva Connors, broke up with him in fear of his violent work, she sought solace from Lucas. Convinced that Lucas was responsible for the breakup, Stryker planted heroin in Lucas's apartment (that he stole from drug kingpin Cornell Cottonmouth) and tipped off the police. Lucas was arrested and sent to prison; contact with his family was sparse due to the resentment of his brother James, Jr., who intercepted Lucas's letters to their father James and eventually led each to believe the other was dead.

In prison, Lucas was consumed by rage over Stryker's betrayal and his father's supposed death, engaging in frequent brawls and escape attempts. Eventually transferred to Seagate Prison off the coast of Georgia, he became the favorite target of sadistic guard Albert "Billy Bob" Rackham, whose brutality ultimately led to a demotion that he blamed on Lucas. Later, research scientist Dr. Noah Burstein recruited Lucas as a volunteer for experimental cell regeneration based on a variant of the Super-Soldier process he had previously used to empower Warhawk. Burstein immersed Lucas in an electrical field conducted by an organic chemical compound; when he left Lucas unattended, Rackham misused the experiment's controls, hoping to maim or kill Lucas. Lucas's treatment was accelerated past its intent, inducing body-wide enhancement that gave him superhuman strength and durability. He used his new power to escape Seagate and made his way back to New York, where a chance encounter with criminals inspired him to use his new powers for profit.

Oddly enough, even the Marvel site lists his place of birth as New York City. Why change this to Savannah, Georgia?

I disagree.

Although the Savannah, Georgia part seems to be a change - in addition to his becoming a cop to better his life and contribute to his community - I'm not sure if Season 1 revealed many of the details from his teenage years.

Could it be this is saved for a later episode, leading to us finding out what directed his to become a police officer? Possibly.

http://marvel.com/universe/Cage,_Luke

Born and raised in Harlem, Carl Lucas spent his youth in a gang called the Bloods. With his friend Willis Stryker, he fought the rival gang the Diablos and committed petty thefts, often on behalf of deformed crimelord Sonny Caputo, a.k.a. Hammer. In and out of juvenile homes throughout his teens, Lucas dreamed of becoming a major New York racketeer until he finally realized how his actions were hurting his family; he sought to better himself as an adult, finding legitimate employment. Meanwhile, Stryker rose through the ranks of crime, but the two men remained friends. When Stryker's activities angered the Maggia (a.k.a. the Syndicate), he was badly beaten in a mob hit, saved only by Lucas's intervention. When Stryker's girlfriend, Reva Connors, broke up with him in fear of his violent work, she sought solace from Lucas. Convinced that Lucas was responsible for the breakup, Stryker planted heroin in Lucas's apartment (that he stole from drug kingpin Cornell Cottonmouth) and tipped off the police. Lucas was arrested and sent to prison; contact with his family was sparse due to the resentment of his brother James, Jr., who intercepted Lucas's letters to their father James and eventually led each to believe the other was dead.

In prison, Lucas was consumed by rage over Stryker's betrayal and his father's supposed death, engaging in frequent brawls and escape attempts. Eventually transferred to Seagate Prison off the coast of Georgia, he became the favorite target of sadistic guard Albert "Billy Bob" Rackham, whose brutality ultimately led to a demotion that he blamed on Lucas. Later, research scientist Dr. Noah Burstein recruited Lucas as a volunteer for experimental cell regeneration based on a variant of the Super-Soldier process he had previously used to empower Warhawk. Burstein immersed Lucas in an electrical field conducted by an organic chemical compound; when he left Lucas unattended, Rackham misused the experiment's controls, hoping to maim or kill Lucas. Lucas's treatment was accelerated past its intent, inducing body-wide enhancement that gave him superhuman strength and durability. He used his new power to escape Seagate and made his way back to New York, where a chance encounter with criminals inspired him to use his new powers for profit.

Oddly enough, even the Marvel site lists his place of birth as New York City. Why change this to Savannah, Georgia?

That's what I'm talking about. Some of the changes seem odd and unnecessary.

I think we can agree that growing up on the mean streets of Harlem is a lot different than growing up in the deep south.

Its DD1 > Jessica jones > DD2 > Luke cage for me, which as me worried about Iron Fist, since Netflix/Marvel have done nothing but go downhill since DD1 in my book.

As to the question about amount of action, its not the action that hooks or loses me, its the plot. Too much obvious, too many stupid holes, and I just cant do it. I will say Luke Cage had some surprises mixed in with the bad and obvious, which along with the sweet soundtrack made it work for me. Still, dead last of the Marvel Netflix offerings to date for me.

Its DD1 > Jessica jones > DD2 > Luke cage for me, which as me worried about Iron Fist, since Netflix/Marvel have done nothing but go downhill since DD1 in my book.

As to the question about amount of action, its not the action that hooks or loses me, its the plot. Too much obvious, too many stupid holes, and I just cant do it. I will say Luke Cage had some surprises mixed in with the bad and obvious, which along with the sweet soundtrack made it work for me. Still, dead last of the Marvel Netflix offerings to date for me.

Part of me wonders if part of the appeal/success of DD1 was the novelty of it. How many people have tried to rewatch it? It feels like a slog the second time around.

Six episodes in. It's okay. Do all of the baddies have a snake name? Real tired of the councilwoman. Will Misty lose her arm? Little disappointed in Scarfe's treatment. Was hoping to see the scene from Powerman 50 where Misty tries to blow Stiletto's head off. Oh, well. My main problem is the n-word being used so much. Don't really feel it's necessary. Then again, I'm not from the streets. Decided to turn it into a game. Every time I heard it , I took a drink. Got really buzzed when the Amish guy was singing at the club. :D