• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LUKE CAGE on Netflix
2 2

383 posts in this topic

three episodes in now.....wow this show is excellent. best show i've seen in a while. i'm completely hooked.

Please tell me this is super dry sarcasm lol

Wait....did you think the acting was good in Buffy and Firefly? If so, then I believe that you believe Luke Cage is the best show you've seen in a while.

I don't know if it's just that Jessica Jones left such a putrid taste in my mouth that it is influencing my impression of this , but Cage is looking like another poor-to-middling effort so far and the Marvel/Netlfix cooperation is looking increasingly like a one hit wonder (Daredevil, Season 1).

-J.

I only did the first episode of Jessica Jones. Didn't hate it but didn't feel

like spending another 11 to 12 hours on it. Since she is somewhat newer to the Marvel Universe I just don't have any connection with the he character. Didn't really care for Cage in that first episode and although a character with more of a history I have honestly not read much stuff with him. My only real exposure to either character is the Daredevil stuff post 2000. Just don't see myself taking the 12 to 13 hour plunge on this and not sure I will with Iron Fist either...in fact I probably won't. Just not enough times I watch and read everything I'd like. Plus Fuller House season 2 is coming up!

Almost over. Thought the first few epidsodes were very slow. But I really liked the origin episode a lot.

Having read the first issue, it follows fairly close to it.

Beyond that.. I thought it was good. Not terrible at all, but a bit slow and cheesy. One thing I'll say, is early on, he came across as extremely powerful and his backstory makes him more believable as a super-hero than some other characters. Nowhere near as entertaining and action packed as Daredevil, but worth watching (unlike say Agents of Shield), IMO.

P.S. Anyone else catch the Stan cameo?

Grocery, right before the robbery with Method Man inside.

2wejgg5.jpg

I am in the middle of the 10th episode

First 5 episodes moved well, seemed to set things up ok. Nice references to the upside down wonder woman tiara he wore in the comics.

Episodes 6-9 and 1/2 of 10...how do I say this?.....holy carp they are slow and painful to watch. Sweet Jeebus!!

More than three full episodes to get that shrapnel out of him? Really? Over a quarter of a super hero show's 1st season with the main hero incapacitated? That's the best use of time you could come up with?

3.5 episodes to go. Sweet Lord I hope they bring this home more like the first 4 episodes as compared to those middle 4-5 episodes.

I agree on the slowness.

Two minutes of Cage, then 10 minutes of boring talky-characters saying things verrrrrry slowwwwwly.

I'm on episode 9 now...enough with the stupid congresswoman already. Another thing that slows everything down.

I also remembered another forum member saying there's too much "normal people getting thrown hard into solid objects and just getting up" (RMA? Chuck?) in the films. That's happened here a few times now.

I agree on the slowness.

Two minutes of Cage, then 10 minutes of boring talky-characters saying things verrrrrry slowwwwwly.

I'm on episode 9 now...enough with the stupid congresswoman already. Another thing that slows everything down.

I also remembered another forum member saying there's too much "normal people getting thrown hard into solid objects and just getting up" (RMA? Chuck?) in the films. That's happened here a few times now.

I'm shocked you even show your face around here. :P

Almost over. Thought the first few epidsodes were very slow. But I really liked the origin episode a lot.

Having read the first issue, it follows fairly close to it.

Beyond that.. I thought it was good. Not terrible at all, but a bit slow and cheesy. One thing I'll say, is early on, he came across as extremely powerful and his backstory makes him more believable as a super-hero than some other characters. Nowhere near as entertaining and action packed as Daredevil, but worth watching (unlike say Agents of Shield), IMO.

P.S. Anyone else catch the Stan cameo?

Grocery, right before the robbery with Method Man inside.

2wejgg5.jpg

:hi:

When they pan to that store, that poster stood out. But not in an 'forced on you' approach. It still fit in with the landscape.

Pretty great show, I'm 5 episodes in now. True to the character and style but without too much "forced fit". The boardie reviews seemed to be mixed, maybe even more so than normal.

I liked Jessica Jones too. Less than daredevil (which is the general theme here - that DD1 season trumps all else Netflix so far), I certainly feel that way.

Joey

Im 4 episodes in. Enjoying it.

Mike Coulter is great as Luke, Better than Charie Cox's Daredevil, but not quite Ritter's Jessica Jones.

Frankie Faison is absolutely great as Pops. Loved him on Banshee over the last few years. And Ron Jones too... wish he had a bigger role. Some of the younger character actors could have learned from those two.

Theo Rossi made some weird acting choices as Shades and is pretty distracting when he's on screen.

It's not a super hero show so far to me. The action is far to street level, just people shooting at Luke and so on. Know that's not a bad thing. I like it. Daredevil is a super hero show. Jessica Jone is a detective/noir show. Luke Cage is a neighborhood show. At least so far.

And that music... so good. Listening to Jidenna right now.

NON-SPOILER REVIEW:

I finished watching season 1 of Luke Cage last night. While I enjoyed it, I did not enjoy it nearly as much as Jessica Jones or Daredevil. I'd give Jessica Jones and Daredevil a 5 out of 5 (enjoyed Jessica Jones a bit more than Daredevil though), while Luke Cage is a 3 out of 5.

I love the overall atmosphere of the show. I was hoping for a Blaxploitation feel, and for me, that feeling did come across. The fantastic 1970's style soundtrack, more than anything else, produced that genre taste. As with Jessica Jones and Daredevil, I love seeing the streets in detail and the interactions with "normal" people of the Harlem neighborhood.

Overall, I thought the acting was decent. The fight scenes on the other hand were not so great (especially when compared to Daredevil). My gripes would come into play when looking at the show's individual details. The biggest one is with Luke Cage. I feel as though Mike Colter's portrayal of Luke Cage is bland, mild-mannered, white bread and noticeably well-spoken. His dialogue was written with the aforementioned traits, so it wasn't all Colter's doing. For me, Luke Cage is supposed to be abrasive, out-spoken, temperamental and uneducated. That's the character's appeal; he's a vigilante like Batman with a personality like Dirty Harry. This portrayal of Luke Cage just doesn't hit the spot for me. He didn't say "Honky" or "Jive turkey" once. :cry:

"Cottonmouth" was as generic a villain as you can get.

Misty Knight has become my most hated character in the Marvel cinematic and television universe. I love to hate her because her level of horribleness is palpable. If their goal was to include a stereotypical, buffoon cop that believes the world should bow to them, they accomplished that goal with flying colors here. While Misty Knight took the gold for biggest loser, the show actually portrayed police in an overall negative light, which I thought was interesting (and enjoyed).

I love the continued appearances of the Night Nurse in the Netflix series'. She is probably my favorite character on Luke Cage. I also love the gangster, Turk. lol He's awesome. Bobby Fischer is another good character. He said a couple really funny lines.

While the casting and writing of the individual character Luke Cage did not impress me, that won't stop me from watching season 2 of the show. I enjoyed season 1, and can't wait for it to continue!

I just finished the Origin episode. Pretty good, but some of the stuff in these episodes is so laughable...I don't think I can continue. It looks like an SNL skit when Cage's unruly hair kept growing during the various fight scenes. The music doesn't match the mood of the scene. And the acting...wow! I think I'm going to read the plot summaries on Wiki and skip to the finale tonight.

NON-SPOILER REVIEW:

Overall, I thought the acting was decent. The fight scenes on the other hand were not so great (especially when compared to Daredevil). My gripes would come into play when looking at the show's individual details. The biggest one is with Luke Cage. I feel as though Mike Colter's portrayal of Luke Cage is bland, mild-mannered, white bread and noticeably well-spoken. His dialogue was written with the aforementioned traits, so it wasn't all Colter's doing. For me, Luke Cage is supposed to be abrasive, out-spoken, temperamental and uneducated. That's the character's appeal; he's a vigilante like Batman with a personality like Dirty Harry. This portrayal of Luke Cage just doesn't hit the spot for me. He didn't say "Honky" or "Jive turkey" once. :cry:

Couldn't agree more with this paragraph. The well spoken, overly articulated dictation that Colter acted with was just all wrong.

Well, it certainly is true that "The Godfather" in this day and age would never get made. lol

I know The Godfather. I've repeatedly watched The Godfather (the two that matter). I've studied film at the feet of "The Godfather". This, my friend, is no Godfather.

. This portrayal of Luke Cage just doesn't hit the spot for me. He didn't say "Honky" or "Jive turkey" once. :cry:

This would have had to have been a period piece, set 40 years ago, for those words to not come off as pure camp. lol It would have also been fun to see them make Cage like Joe in Idiocracy. Wake him up Cage after 40 years in cryo-sleep and he could be all "Hey, Momma, You're So Fine" and "Honky" and "Jive Turkey". It would have made a great fish-out-of-water sitcom. lol