• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LUKE CAGE on Netflix
2 2

383 posts in this topic

I thought it was Marvel's most ambitious Netflix show to date. To me, it played out as an ode to the Marvel comics of the 60s, when the company wasn't afraid to tackle social issues head on.

Why would a 1970s character be an ode to the 1960s?

He wouldn't be, but you're correct, to clarify: I should have said 60s/70s. The point being that it feels like a throwback to the days when Marvel publishing took on more social issues.

When did they stop taking on social issues? They've been pushing high-profile female, gay, and minority characters for most of the last two decades.

I didn't say they stopped, however, I do believe Marvel, as a publisher, was more proactive to making social change in those decades than they currently are. I think they are a bit more reactive now, rather than being at the forefront.

When did they stop taking on social issues? They've been pushing high-profile female, gay, and minority characters for most of the last two decades.

I didn't say they stopped, however, I do believe Marvel, as a publisher, was more proactive to making social change in those decades than they currently are. I think they are a bit more reactive now, rather than being at the forefront.

I think Marvel was more inclined to TALK about social issues back then, instead of the force-feeding of those topics approach that they're taking today where they leave nothing open to discussion.

I think this whole issue is just a matter of historical context. It feels like back then Marvel was hitting the social issues harder mainly because comic books hadn't done that much before then (with the notable exception of those morality tales by EC in the 50s). So back then, when racism, drugs, protests etc. initially got "airtime", it was really noticeable..

I think this whole issue is just a matter of historical context. It feels like back then Marvel was hitting the social issues harder mainly because comic books hadn't done that much before then (with the notable exception of those morality tales by EC in the 50s). So back then, when racism, drugs, protests etc. initially got "airtime", it was really noticeable..

It was also always isolated back then to minor characters, not major ones. Putting a supporting character in like Black Panther or having Harry Osborn get addicted to drugs and violate the Comics Code in the process isn't the same as risking the popular opinion and financial viability of your most important character as they did by replacing Peter Parker with the black/Hispanic Mike Morales in Ultimate Spider-Man. That was bold enough to draw international media coverage.

I don't know what some of you are smoking, but I thought it was awesome. It was exactly what I was hoping for. Probably the blackest show I've seen in a while (besides The Get Down, which I also loved & highly recommend if you enjoy black culture, which had an even better score than Luke Cage did) & very well-done. It was the modern take on the 70's Blaxploitation style that I was hoping for.

Yes, i love that it's unapologetically black.

It was also always isolated back then to minor characters, not major ones. Putting a supporting character in like Black Panther or having Harry Osborn get addicted to drugs and violate the Comics Code in the process isn't the same as risking the popular opinion and financial viability of your most important character as they did by replacing Peter Parker with the black/Hispanic Mike Morales in Ultimate Spider-Man. That was bold enough to draw international media coverage.

So you believe that Marvel recently changing their characters was out of bravery and that they believed they were risking something financially?

At first I thought the Luke Cage from reactions from here on the boards was going to reveal to me this series was going to be Iron Man 3 trash, but after seeing the chatter around the country from the general public as well as my non-comic book friends this was a success for Marvel.

The fact of the matter is Netflix/Marvel besides DD and the Punisher are turning B cover boy/girl throw away characters into million of dollars.

Luke Cage I was hoping for more, and I am expecting to enjoy Iron Fist probably more so, but I get why a good portion here were kinda bored with it, but I also understand why so many civilians (or muggles haha) are eating this show up.

For me it' s all about Punisher season 1! (thumbs u

What the hell happened to Marvel in all this? This is Hero For Hire?

Now I am only halfway through E1. I will watch E1 to the end. But so far - WTH? I just hope it gets better.

BTW - I stopped DD S2 about 4 eps in. Same with the 1st season of Jessica Jones, which I really wanted to like. Netflix just could not make me care. Which was really sad because I loved the first DD season.

Something is going awry with Netflix, and it is showing up in LC as well. :(

I guess for me I don't understand if you enjoyed DD S1 how in god's earth did you not enjoy DD S2. :ohnoez:

Good lord the punisher scenes alone are some of the best in comic book on screen history, especially the prison scenes.

Because I felt absolutely nothing for the Punisher. I felt much more empathy for Kingpin (Fisk) and D’Onofrio’s performance probably spoiled me. He was relatable. He had empathy. He made that season as much Fisk as it was Murdoch.

Castle was an exercise in machismo with little redeeming quality and pretty wooden acting. He didn't, for me, carry the scenes and I just lost interest. Do you think I wanted to? I really didn't. I wanted to enjoy DD as much as S1 and wanted to enjoy Luke Cage as much as well. I mean, getting SA and BA heroes on Netflix is really something but... :(

You should finish season 2. Fisk shows up, and the scene where Murdoch visits him in jail is VERY powerful.

What the hell happened to Marvel in all this? This is Hero For Hire?

Now I am only halfway through E1. I will watch E1 to the end. But so far - WTH? I just hope it gets better.

BTW - I stopped DD S2 about 4 eps in. Same with the 1st season of Jessica Jones, which I really wanted to like. Netflix just could not make me care. Which was really sad because I loved the first DD season.

Something is going awry with Netflix, and it is showing up in LC as well. :(

I guess for me I don't understand if you enjoyed DD S1 how in god's earth did you not enjoy DD S2. :ohnoez:

Good lord the punisher scenes alone are some of the best in comic book on screen history, especially the prison scenes.

Because I felt absolutely nothing for the Punisher. I felt much more empathy for Kingpin (Fisk) and D’Onofrio’s performance probably spoiled me. He was relatable. He had empathy. He made that season as much Fisk as it was Murdoch.

Castle was an exercise in machismo with little redeeming quality and pretty wooden acting. He didn't, for me, carry the scenes and I just lost interest. Do you think I wanted to? I really didn't. I wanted to enjoy DD as much as S1 and wanted to enjoy Luke Cage as much as well. I mean, getting SA and BA heroes on Netflix is really something but... :(

You should finish season 2. Fisk shows up, and the scene where Murdoch visits him in jail is VERY powerful.

Absolutely!

I loved DD Season 1, but for me Season 2 was far superior.

Absolutely!

Same Here. I was surprised that a few posters thought 1 was better. While 1 was outstanding, I felt 2 was even superior.

I loved Season 2 also but for me Kingpin was where it's at. The moment I heard D'Onofrio was playing the role, I was hooked. First time I saw him was on the film Adventures in Babysitting when I was 7. I remember that one of the kids in the film thought he was Thor because he had a hammer & the Thor helmet. I loved watching him on Law & Order: Criminal Intent also. I was happy to see him get the role of Kingpin, so I guess I just felt more of a connection to the 1st Season. Punisher & Stick were great but Elektra was ok for me.

Absolutely!

Same Here. I was surprised that a few posters thought 1 was better. While 1 was outstanding, I felt 2 was even superior.

I loved Season 2 also but for me Kingpin was where it's at. The moment I heard D'Onofrio was playing the role, I was hooked. First time I saw him was on the film Adventures in Babysitting when I was 7. I remember that one of the kids in the film thought he was Thor because he had a hammer & the Thor helmet. I loved watching him on Law & Order: Criminal Intent also. I was happy to see him get the role of Kingpin, so I guess I just felt more of a connection to the 1st Season. Punisher & Stick were great but Elektra was ok for me.

I think I enjoyed the 1st season more, even though I enjoyed the 2nd season, I was really disappointed how they handled Elektra.

Watched another episode...not sure why they felt the need to butcher the origin of the character. Cop? Former military? Oy freaking vey.

Getting the audience on the side of an ex gang member and drug dealer might take longer than an episode or two. lol

Watched the first three episodes. They were okay, but felt drawn out without much real suspense, and somewhat weak plotting. I'll check out the origin episode at least, and then decide if I want to watch the rest. I like Colter as Cage, and the rest of the acting varies from pedestrian to quite good.

What I appreciate most is the attempt at realism tin both this series and DD season #1. DD ended a bit weak for me, and I didn't really care for D'Onofrio's Kingpin, so I didn't bother with season 2 or Jessica Jones, but Cage was a childhood favorite of mine, which is probably the only reason I'm giving it a try.

The missus and I watched about ¾ of episode 2 last night until streaming pooped the bed; we still like it. I still have no problems with the plot or acting. Do some of you folks dislike the lack of action? I’m feeling like I’m reaching the saturation point with slam-bang superhero movies and have been enjoying the low-key approach.