• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LUKE CAGE on Netflix
2 2

383 posts in this topic

. This portrayal of Luke Cage just doesn't hit the spot for me. He didn't say "Honky" or "Jive turkey" once. :cry:

This would have had to have been a period piece, set 40 years ago, for those words to not come off as pure camp. lol It would have also been fun to see them make Cage like Joe in Idiocracy. Wake him up Cage after 40 years in cryo-sleep and he could be all "Hey, Momma, You're So Fine" and "Honky" and "Jive Turkey". It would have made a great fish-out-of-water sitcom. lol

Black Dynamite did it about as well as it could be done.

Haven't watched it yet, but surprised by the negative to "meh" reviews. The critics seem to love it, currently at 79% on metacritic and 95% on RT.

My guess in this regard is that it's scoring much higher then it ought to because it would be very unpopular to criticize a show with an almost entirely African American cast. We saw the backlash to the negative reviews of the all female Ghostbusters reviews.

I mean nobody thinks this show is better than daredevil, but daredevil is only scored 86% currently.

2c

My guess in this regard is that it's scoring much higher then it ought to because it would be very unpopular to criticize a show with an almost entirely African American cast.

hm

I doubt that's why it's scoring as high as it is.

My guess in this regard is that it's scoring much higher then it ought to because it would be very unpopular to criticize a show with an almost entirely African American cast.

hm

I doubt that's why it's scoring as high as it is.

He may be on to something...with the high-school play caliber acting and the weak writing, it's a plausible answer to the ratings.

I'm almost done with the series. There a lot of aspects I like about the show, including the homages, the music, the cinematography. The acting is less than stellar, some of the characters are really annoying and the writing falls a little flat in certain scenes. With 4 episodes to go, I'd give it a 7.5/10. It's probably my least favorite Marvel Netflix show, bit certainly still pretty good.

Haven't watched it yet, but surprised by the negative to "meh" reviews. The critics seem to love it, currently at 79% on metacritic and 95% on RT.

I came into it with a prejudice to LOVE this series. I wanted to love it. I've been a fan of this character back to the 70's. I wanted this to be great. Some parts of it are great. Some great moments and performances.

It certainly different in tone and pacing than the other Marvel TV series or films. It's far more serious, intellectual, and goes far more in depth into the background characters than any other series to date....but it's just uneven, and meandering in parts, and diluted in completing plot points. It feels as if they had 10 episodes of story line and needed to get to the standard 13 episodes.

I think it was well cast, I think the performances are fine (with a few exceptions), but it's that lack of tight, cohesive, storytelling and plot that really hold the show back from what it could have been.

I see the wasted screen time, but I am not done with it yet. Maybe they pull out of it in the last couple of episodes. So far the pacing and plot of the first 4-5 episodes is lost in the next 4-5 episodes.

three episodes in now.....wow this show is excellent. best show i've seen in a while. i'm completely hooked.

Please tell me this is super dry sarcasm lol

Wait....did you think the acting was good in Buffy and Firefly? If so, then I believe that you believe Luke Cage is the best show you've seen in a while.

it's called having an opinion. just like you have one, which i don't knock, so don't ever knock mine.

for those of you who don't like the show, or just think it's okay...that's completely fine, but don't ever in your life insult people who happen to love this show.

Edited by Hawkman

If people who generally love everything Marvel does on the big / small screen are not loving this...it must be terrible.

FYI, 2 episodes in and so far it's a little "meh".

I'm almost done with the series. There a lot of aspects I like about the show, including the homages, the music, the cinematography. The acting is less than stellar, some of the characters are really annoying and the writing falls a little flat in certain scenes. With 4 episodes to go, I'd give it a 7.5/10. It's probably my least favorite Marvel Netflix show, bit certainly still pretty good.

I finished it.

Overall, it was good to see some of these characters on the small screen. And seeing Mike Colter as Luke Cage is a version of the character that is good. But the storyline at times was the main drawback for me. Not great - not bad - but enough to make me push on to the end.

Honestly though, this would not be a series I would purchase to rewatch again. That doesn't make it horrible. Like the Jessica Jones series, at least I got to see it one time.

If people who generally love everything Marvel does on the big / small screen are not loving this...it must be terrible.

FYI, 2 episodes in and so far it's a little "meh".

by 2 episodes in, they are still setting everything up. it picks up

I'm at episode 6 and so far it's really good.

Well, it certainly is true that "The Godfather" in this day and age would never get made. lol

I know The Godfather. I've repeatedly watched The Godfather (the two that matter). I've studied film at the feet of "The Godfather". This, my friend, is no Godfather.

Chris, no it def is not. My comment was more in general about how everyone views "slow" in the negative way, much like how this new generation has stopped reading novels lol. And a film, like the Godfathers 1 n 2 would never, ever get made today. And that is a shame. I talked ith James O'Barr bout this very subject last time we chatted, and he agreed.

Just finished the 1st episode and although it's not pulling me like like Daredevil it looking to be a good show. More like Empire then anything else.

three episodes in now.....wow this show is excellent. best show i've seen in a while. i'm completely hooked.

Please tell me this is super dry sarcasm lol

Wait....did you think the acting was good in Buffy and Firefly? If so, then I believe that you believe Luke Cage is the best show you've seen in a while.

it's called having an opinion. just like you have one, which i don't knock, so don't ever knock mine.

for those of you who don't like the show, or just think it's okay...that's completely fine, but don't ever in your life insult people who happen to love this show.

First of all, calm down. I was making a joke, it was meant to be humorous, but my apologies for striking a nerve with you. Humor is tough to relay through online forums, and so is scolding, so how about we avoid both from now on? Cheers, and enjoy the rest of the show.

I finished it. It really took me a bit to get through the end.

Overall I thought it was...okay. It all seemed a bit generic, and again...slow.

It's nowhere near DD season 1 & 2. I haven't seen Jessica Jones yet, but I suppose I could watch it after I'm done with The Cleveland Show.