• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coollinesartwork Questions

178 posts in this topic

Has anyone used their "price request" checkout system before? Have you gotten more reasonable quotes on pages this way as opposed to emailing them through comic art fans? I tried that and got insane prices that changed from email to email. Through the website they want your phone number before sending price quotes for pages. I'm not really comfortable with that, has anyone here tried it.

Has anyone used their "price request" checkout system before? Have you gotten more reasonable quotes on pages this way as opposed to emailing them through comic art fans? I tried that and got insane prices that changed from email to email. Through the website they want your phone number before sending price quotes for pages. I'm not really comfortable with that, has anyone here tried it.

If you have masochistic tendencies, I'd recommend you give them a go.

:jokealert:

If you have masochistic tendencies, I'd recommend you give them a go.

:jokealert:

. . . I think.

Hey, you could always give them an expensive chat-line number to ring you back on? lol

You dont need to use their price request to find out how much an item it. Its simple, just take an items fair market value range (what it should sell for for every other dealer) and then just times it by 2.5.

So if an item is worth 1000, Donnelly wants 2500. If its worth 5k, he wants 12,500.00. Simple math really.

For additional fun, if he wants an item from you, then you just take its fair market value and mark it down 60 percent. SO if you would get 1000 for it, Coolines/donnelly would give you 400...in trade (which in real terms means its about 150 dollars in value.

The do have some art from 2 comics I have strong nostalgia for. I've only seen 3 other pages from 1 book and none are for sale.

They have the only page from the other book I've seen anywhere and it's THE page. It's not from an iconic issue for the character or the artist but it was one of the first comics I read so it means a lot to me. i can't say it's my grail because it's not from a book with historical importance but it's in my top 5 for nostalgia.

With all the negative things i've read and a suspect experience of my own I'm hesitant about giving my phone number. Is there anyone who has had dealings with them on a positive note?

They are both tough, but one Donnelly is much easier to deal with than the other. Too bad I always mix the names up, but the one who comes to comic art con...call him East Coast Donnelly...will give you prices and call his brother on the phone and give you prices on his stuff too.

Now I must say I have not completed a purchase, just that he is fair in person and the art is priced at comic art con from what I have seen.

They are both tough, but one Donnelly is much easier to deal with than the other. Too bad I always mix the names up, but the one who comes to comic art con...call him East Coast Donnelly...will give you prices and call his brother on the phone and give you prices on his stuff too.

Now I must say I have not completed a purchase, just that he is fair in person and the art is priced at comic art con from what I have seen.

Oh, so the site is comprised of 2 different collections. I don't begrudge a collector or dealer wanting to get maximum value in a sale but I've heard so much negative. You'd be comfortable leaving your phone number and contact info with them?

You dont need to use their price request to find out how much an item it. Its simple, just take an items fair market value range (what it should sell for for every other dealer) and then just times it by 2.5.

So if an item is worth 1000, Donnelly wants 2500. If its worth 5k, he wants 12,500.00. Simple math really.

For additional fun, if he wants an item from you, then you just take its fair market value and mark it down 60 percent. SO if you would get 1000 for it, Coolines/donnelly would give you 400...in trade (which in real terms means its about 150 dollars in value.

that was similar to the situation I ran into during my early days in the hobby. At first i received a price I was advised was high but not insanely so and i was willing to pay. When i replied a different guy responded the price shifted upward by 4 or 5 times.

On the other hand they have quite a few pieces that push the nostalgia button for me from books that i haven't seen elsewhere or otherwise unavailable atm.

i'd suggest unless they have something you just HAVE to have, don't bother.

This seem to be the consensus. There is one piece I'd really love to own and it's hard to reconcile it not happening when i see it "for sale". Sounds like these guys are collectors more than dealers though.

I have purchased and overpaid for a number of things from them. They have turned out to be some of my most favorite pieces but you have to hold your nose and go forward.

If afraid the prior posting of it being 2.5 times actual price it should be is a lie, it's just not the case.

its 3 x at minimum, but I have seen pieces I know they marked up 10x -yes - purchased for $1,900 and then listed for $19,000!

Other dealers don't have luck with them either. A deal told me how he asked about a piece that was listed on eBay for xxxxx and with a straight face they said the price was xxxxx+yyyy - he could have just hit the BIN and got it for less.

Anyway, it's sucks but it is what it is.

They have zero motivation to sell (and by this is mean lower prices), this is not their primary business or at least their only business. I have managed to get slight discounts with multiple things. But basically it's not a great experience.

Other dealers don't have luck with them either. A deal told me how he asked about a piece that was listed on eBay for xxxxx and with a straight face they said the price was xxxxx+yyyy - he could have just hit the BIN and got it for less.

That might have been me. And yes, that is exactly what happened.

When I first started collecting OA they had 2 panel pages from a book I was trying to put together. The price they gave me was perhaps 30-40% higher than other pages from the book that I'd bought elsewhere. I gladly paid their asking price. They weren't significant pages to anyone except me, and they weren't particularly expensive. I'm confident that the 2 pages have more of less doubled in value since then... Not that I have any intention of selling them.

More recently I inquired about a few other pages that had been languishing on their website for a few years, and I experienced their wildly inflated pricing. The prices they quoted were so far out of whack it was beyond humorous. It actually angered me.

I then inquired about doing a trade and was offered about 50% of the market value of the pages I offered in trade.

I replied with a very fair counter offer - knowing full well that it would be rejected - at which point they simply ceased all communication with me. No reply to that email, or to any subsequent emails. Radio silence.

They have a cover I want REAL bad but I haven't pursued it because I figure I have to be ready to pull the trigger with cash. I purchased this piece from them back in 2009. I want to say I paid $1100 for it. Did I overpay (shrug) I have no idea but I looked at it as probably my only chance to own a published page of the Fantastic Four by John Byrne so I am super happy to have it and was okay with the price.

byrne_FF.jpg