• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coollinesartwork Questions

178 posts in this topic

See, they just won one of my auctions (Silvestri Uncanny X-Men page). If anyone complains later that it is priced 3x of what it went for on ebay, you could have bid on it yourself when it was on ebay! :)

Malvin

Yeah, or you could have simply blocked them from being able to bid on it, thereby denying them the ability to mark it up 3X FMV. Just sayin....

See, they just won one of my auctions (Silvestri Uncanny X-Men page). If anyone complains later that it is priced 3x of what it went for on ebay, you could have bid on it yourself when it was on ebay! :)

Malvin

Hope, at some future time, you don't get 'seller's remorse' and look towards buying it back! lol

:jokealert: . . . I think.

Malvin

Yeah, or you could have simply blocked them from being able to bid on it, thereby denying them the ability to mark it up 3X FMV. Just sayin....

err... ok, that's an idea, but it doesn't make any sense. Why would I block someone who is willing to pay the most and doesn't give me any problems as a buyer?

Malvin

Malvin

err... ok, that's an idea, but it doesn't make any sense. Why would I block someone who is willing to pay the most and doesn't give me any problems as a buyer?

Malvin

Because you know that buyer to be a blight on the hobby and you don't want to enable them any further to continue to be so? I mean, if you actually care about this hobby/business being done fairly. If not, then I guess you wouldn't do that.

I merely pointed out that you could have done something to prevent them from continuing to charge 3X FMV on stuff, since you pointed out that fact yourself.

Malvin

Malvin

You shouldn't have to; you've done nothing wrong. (shrug)

Even if they mark the pages up 3 x FMV, do they readily have buyers on hand . . . have you seen them shift any of the art bought from you?

Malvin

Malvin

Please turn in your badge. (:

morality_police_badge_by_tepheris-d5o6vww.png

You shouldn't have to; you've done nothing wrong. (shrug)

Even if they mark the pages up 3 x FMV, do they readily have buyers on hand . . . have you seen them shift any of the art bought from you?

I don't really track the art I sold to them. I have seen stuff from their website making it onto other CAF galleries, so they do have sales.

Malvin

Malvin

In an auction environment, the marketplace dictates the value, so if they won it, they did so fair and square and that's what it was worth at the time of the sale, whether they mark it up and hold it hostage for what's perceived as an unreasonable ransom within the hobby is up to them, as at the end of the day the Coollines guys subscribe to the philosophy of "He who dies with the most toys wins" and will take the majority of their artwork to their graves since they clearly price their merchandise not as retailers nor sellers or dealers, but as collectors with a "it'll take $$$ in order for me to part with this piece from my collection" mentality.

You're 100% right, anyone who complains about any mark-up or even those unaware of the acquisition price is just blowing off steam which appears to be hot air at times. Look at the way some buy comics like "Edge of Spider-Verse #2" a few months ago for $25 (and most other comics for that matter) and then get it CGC graded then turn around and price it more than 3x what they paid. So, it really doesn't matter what a person paid originally, that should have nothing to do with the discussions of a sale between buyer and seller. A potential buyer can know that in the back of their mind if they know the acquisition price when making a fair offer, providing the seller with a certain % mark up, but once they say "Hey, you only paid $, why are you selling it for $$" it becomes adversarial and the tempo of the conversation becomes negative, and as a seller, I'd probably turn down all offers from a buyer with that approach.

Just figure the hobby will see a majority if not all of the Coolines possessed Artwork for sale, probably via Heritage or some auction house in their estate sale in the future after they pass away, since I doubt if their heirs are interested in the artwork nor are so greedy to continue holding it, rather than divide it and liquidate their ancestors treasure into tangible cash. Nobody can own anything forever.

I would also say that when asking about different covers they have repeatedly said things like "I have been offered over 20K for this and turned it down"

..umm. no you haven't.

this is like an early New Mutants cover that is not even worth 10K and there is no way they have been offered that and then turned it down

I would also say that when asking about different covers they have repeatedly said things like "I have been offered over 20K for this and turned it down"

..umm. no you haven't.

this is like an early New Mutants cover that is not even worth 10K and there is no way they have been offered that and then turned it down

Your speculation is probably on target, and the offers they receive and values they place are all within a very distorted and greedy perception of the value and an opportunity to maximize sales opportunity. I'd speculate their inquiry to sales close rate is under 5% (with over 95% of inquiries passing on their pricing)

..umm. no you haven't.

imfgw.jpg

I talked with rich for a good hour with a buddy of mine, I didn't ask the prices of the things that caught my eye....I guess I'm a bit hesitant from past experiences. Although two friends of mine did ask on a couple things and prices were fair.

They have the only page from the other book I've seen anywhere and it's THE page. It's not from an iconic issue for the character or the artist but it was one of the first comics I read so it means a lot to me. i can't say it's my grail because it's not from a book with historical importance but it's in my top 5 for nostalgia.

They do have the best and most amazing stuff in there! :cloud9:

9bf1fc6090f72d1dbb9d78ec4b8c27d25df8e693eb7186438e0b87b5.jpg.1000x754_q85.jpg

Ok , I did read all posts in this thread, but to slightly expand the perspective I just checked their EBay store - nearly 5000 feedbacks and 100% positive. That is not bad (although only 114 of 5000 feedbacks in the last 12 months, seems low). The most inexpensive pieces start at only $55 and of course there are prices on all pieces:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=valnstevez.aol&_sop=15

I can see they also use CLink (some of their pieces can be found there), and of course their EBay store only contains a fraction of their pieces, but maybe an idea to stick to that store hm I never bought anything from them - but did end up writing a few mails with Steve once I bought a cover on CLink that he unfortunately could not deliver (it was sold, he forgot to remove it on CLink - quite annoying after having paid for it and greatly looking forward to receive it :censored: )

I talked to Rich at the Secaucus art show last week. He wanted 10,000.00 for a sandman interior page. Not a title splash of historic page, just a nice representative page. He also had a jackson guice tryout page I sold for 200 on CL in January he was now asking 950.00 for a few weeks later. That pretty much told me while he is a nice guy im gonna have just write them or wait for when they eventually go to auction.

I talked to Rich at the Secaucus art show last week. He wanted 10,000.00 for a sandman interior page. Not a title splash of historic page, just a nice representative page. He also had a jackson guice tryout page I sold for 200 on CL in January he was now asking 950.00 for a few weeks later. That pretty much told me while he is a nice guy im gonna have just write them or wait for when they eventually go to auction.

From which artist?

Ok , I did read all posts in this thread, but to slightly expand the perspective I just checked their EBay store - nearly 5000 feedbacks and 100% positive. That is not bad (although only 114 of 5000 feedbacks in the last 12 months, seems low). The most inexpensive pieces start at only $55 and of course there are prices on all pieces:

The one time I bid on one of Steve's auctions was for a colour prelim (for, I think, a paperback cover painting).

The item didn't reach reserve and, afterwards, I received an e-mail offering me the piece (outside of eBay) at a fixed price that was way above what I considered the art to be worth.

I politely declined, saying that my maximum bid was just that.

Heard afterwards (from other collectors in the hobby) that this was a practice Steve employed at the time (i.e. unrealistic reserve prices, with outside-of-eBay offers of direct sale to the highest bidder/s).