• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coollinesartwork Questions

178 posts in this topic

I don’t have a premium membership but I might if it provided a way to block their listings from showing up in my search results. Rant over.

oh, you wish! Just the opposite: you have access to more searches, sent to your inbox more frequently, but with not a single bit of control over the collector involved/content generator, with no way to block out specific content generators. I got into it with Bill, made my displeasure with the whole thing known, especially the gaming of the system that was blatantly occurring, and in the end I had to stop the emails because they were flooded with Donnelly results.

CAF is like boardgamegeek, the architecture is old but functional. The key interested parties are already members who understand, and most importantly, are now used to the systems and tech. There is no incentive to undergo a costly make over, but the value of the user generated content is constantly increasing. BGG is just biding time until someone makes a purchase offer, which is smart business sense. In the meantime sell as many ads as you can and reap whatever passive income you can.

What a refreshingly different perspective than the typical Bill-lovefest. Thanks for the directness and honesty!

I don’t have a premium membership but I might if it provided a way to block their listings from showing up in my search results. Rant over.

oh, you wish! Just the opposite: you have access to more searches, sent to your inbox more frequently, but with not a single bit of control over the collector involved/content generator, with no way to block out specific content generators. I got into it with Bill, made my displeasure with the whole thing known, especially the gaming of the system that was blatantly occurring, and in the end I had to stop the emails because they were flooded with Donnelly results.

CAF is like boardgamegeek, the architecture is old but functional. The key interested parties are already members who understand, and most importantly, are now used to the systems and tech. There is no incentive to undergo a costly make over, but the value of the user generated content is constantly increasing. BGG is just biding time until someone makes a purchase offer, which is smart business sense. In the meantime sell as many ads as you can and reap whatever passive income you can.

What a refreshingly different perspective than the typical Bill-lovefest. Thanks for the directness and honesty!

I don't think those that appreciate how much Bill has transformed this hobby and made it possible for many of us to appreciate, find and acquire artwork we may have never seen otherwise are any less direct and honest.

Cool, don't want anybody to feel left out (because complimenting one person does not automatically imply anything about others) - pat on the shoulder to EVERYBODY and a special shout-out for directness and honesty to Chris and Malvin (too). YEA TEAM!

Cool, don't want anybody to feel left out (because complimenting one person does not automatically imply anything about others) - pat on the shoulder to EVERYBODY and a special shout-out for directness and honesty to Chris and Malvin (too). YEA TEAM!

Thank you! :acclaim:

Has anyone spoken to Coollines directly about their business or invited them on a forum to address issues people may have with them? I've emailed Steven in the past about an item I was will to pay over market for that they had and still have. He was very forthright and pleasant to chat with. Speaking with him I got the impression they were collectors first and if they sold something fine otherwise they were happy to keep it.

Has anyone spoken to Coollines directly about their business or invited them on a forum to address issues people may have with them? I've emailed Steven in the past about an item I was will to pay over market for that they had and still have. He was very forthright and pleasant to chat with. Speaking with him I got the impression they were collectors first and if they sold something fine otherwise they were happy to keep it.

I don't think anyone would begrudge them that. But the altering of artwork with, um, optimistic claims and shoddy worksmanship is a bird of a different feather.

I'm not sure about the Superman piece, but I assume all the overlays they use were removable/ did not damage the work. The piece that I like which they have own has a overlay for a magazine that it not meant for, but the story it conveys is in that magazine issue. It was more of a what if/ looks cool that way overlay. Steven was very open and honest about it.

I am not defending them. I personally don't know them, but there are two sides to every story and it would be nice to hear them speak about all the complaints regarding their business practices.

I'm not sure about the Superman piece, but I assume all the overlays they use were removable/ did not damage the work. The piece that I like which they have own has a overlay for a magazine that it not meant for, but the story it conveys is in that magazine issue. It was more of a what if/ looks cool that way overlay. Steven was very open and honest about it.

I am not defending them. I personally don't know them, but there are two sides to every story and it would be nice to hear them speak about all the complaints regarding their business practices.

Quote from a page or two page, supposedly from Steve himself, notes they put those statted images directly on the Swan art they purchased. There's no mention of an overlay and it implies fairly strongly that they're essentially changing the original art to meet some standard of a cover that they believe this represents.

I don't think anyone would begrudge them that. But the altering of artwork with, um, optimistic claims and shoddy worksmanship is a bird of a different feather.

For me this is a case where their actions speak louder than words. Nothing they could say, nothing, would ever excuse the actions in obvious service of ulterior profit motive. It's just blatant, no grey area. I don't do business with them, and I wouldn't with anybody that does the same thing. That includes "cutters".

For me this is a case where their actions speak louder than words. Nothing they could say, nothing, would ever excuse the actions in obvious service of ulterior profit motive. It's just blatant, no grey area. I don't do business with them, and I wouldn't with anybody that does the same thing. That includes "cutters".

cutters? do you mean destroying the art to separate the panels?

He was very forthright and pleasant to chat with. Speaking with him I got the impression they were collectors first and if they sold something fine otherwise they were happy to keep it.

The most graceful scam artists are often very personable to those they wish to use or take advantage of. Snake oil salesmen always greeted their "clients" with a smile and handshake, too, you know.

As to either of them coming here to discuss their "business model," if that were of any interest or importance to them, I'm sure they'd have done so by now. I'm sure they have been made well aware of threads like this, on numerous boards, on numerous occasions. That they have never addressed any of the complaints of their treatment towards others, pretty much tells you what they think of the complaints (and most likely the people they did these underhanded things to). Besides, no con man ever wants to be in a situation to have to defend their actions. Easier, by far, to just brush off the complaints and move on to the next "sucker." Also, a long-standing trait of the snake oil salesmen. So, if you want to "hear both sides," you are in for one very long wait.

cutters? do you mean destroying the art to separate the panels?

Yes. But it's also anything with multiple images like sketchbook pages and promotional/marketing art that sellers separate to "add" value.

You most likely didn't mean to imply anything about others, but that's how it could have been read.

Not defending Vodou, but I took Vodou's original post in the vein of complimenting someone for what Vodou was saying was a view not often expressed, not a dig that other aren't honest or direct.

Same here...