• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Paul" comics club

236 posts in this topic

Was there a USA 7 in that collection? I just bought a USA 7 on the bay. Not only did someone write "Joe Simon" on the cover. Someone also wrote "paul" in a style similar to many of the "pauls" in this thread, but I have no idea if it's the same paul.

(image is clickable)

th_USA7_paul_zpsdwmxozkz.jpg

I didn't see a USA #7 or you wouldn't have it! There were VERY few Timelys. All I know of were about 5 Caps in the #60s that Ed got. Joe, the buyer of the collection, put a bunch of books on eBay before I met him. The only ones I know of for sure we're nice copies of MM #26 & 55. I didn't get any Timelys. I will ask Joe next time I see him. He's pretty good at remembering these books. Might be one he sold on EBay before I met him.

The pencil signature does look a little similar to the early books. I think it might have been his mom who did those. The later ink ones are his for sure. The thing that concerns me is the Joe Simon marking. Looks like some one was trying to imitate Simon's signature. But it is in ink and his name is pencil. Hard to tell. I do know that these two Babe Ruth's are the only ones I have seen with any writing other than his name. The CC Beck is interesting. He seemed to know the artist's work and he had a lot of Fawcetts so he was a fan.

....yeah, this adds a dimension to the "Paul" books that makes them even cooler than they already were.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I know,doesn't it!? After seeing so many of Bills and Robots...I'm emotionally attached to this collection even though I've not a one....BangZoom...do you remember what 'zine?Feels historic to me...

our%20gang%2037%20bc_zpssicrtoul.jpg

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the fact that Paul Mittelbuscher was a member of SF fandom in the 1950's and was the editor of at least one fanzine that I can remember.

From time to time he also used to write letters to the editors of pulp magazines.

Here are a couple I found in Weird Tales.

May 1953

paulletter1.jpg

January 1954

paulletter2.jpg

I think you are right Bang. The name and location match perfectly. I know he was a BIG sci fi fan. He had a ton of Pulps (especially Weird Tales). In his hord was also a ton of fanzines dating back to the early '40's. He had a lot of books, archam editions and beatnik poetry stuff. I was broke just buying comics so I got very few pulps. I will talk to Joe about what he has left. I know all the comics and pulps are gone but I'm sure he probably has some fanzines and misc sci fi stuff left to sell. He likes eBay. Maybe I can get him to put up some more stuff with the "Paul" name in the description if there is any interest.

....yeah, this adds a dimension to the "Paul" books that makes them even cooler than they already were.... GOD BLESS...

I know,doesn't it!? After seeing so many of Bills and Robots...I'm emotionally attached to this collection even though I've not a one....BangZoom...do you remember what 'zine?Feels historic to me...

There are a lot of them spread to the 4 winds. I recently got one in the wild on Fleabay. They turn up here once in a while because the buyer sold a lot at shows here. I know Harley, Jamie Graham and Brian Peets from A1 got a bunch from my friend Jim Maley who was one of the biggest buyers of this collection.

There's actually a lot of google hits on the name Paul Mittelbuscher.

Lots of his letters in pulps are documented here and there, one fanzine he was involved in was "Fan To See", and I wonder if somebody in in this thread snapped up this item signed TO Paul rather than BY Paul, on ebay last week. ;)

edit -- spoke too soon, looks like it's relisted...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIGNED-Galleon-Of-Dream-LIN-CARTER-1953-Poems-Fantasy-Science-Fiction-Fanzine/111615667840

153743.jpg.b0abd110cceec48bde1ac9440ab81881.jpg

Edited by markseifert

I didn't see a USA #7 or you wouldn't have it! There were VERY few Timelys. All I know of were about 5 Caps in the #60s that Ed got. Joe, the buyer of the collection, put a bunch of books on eBay before I met him. The only ones I know of for sure we're nice copies of MM #26 & 55. I didn't get any Timelys. I will ask Joe next time I see him. He's pretty good at remembering these books. Might be one he sold on EBay before I met him.

The pencil signature does look a little similar to the early books. I think it might have been his mom who did those. The later ink ones are his for sure. The thing that concerns me is the Joe Simon marking. Looks like some one was trying to imitate Simon's signature. But it is in ink and his name is pencil. Hard to tell. I do know that these two Babe Ruth's are the only ones I have seen with any writing other than his name. The CC Beck is interesting. He seemed to know the artist's work and he had a lot of Fawcetts so he was a fan.

About the USA 7 - the "p" in paul is very tough to make out, as it is under the store stamp, and it may not be there at all. There are markings there though. It might make a "p" or it might not. I'm just not sure what other letter would make sense there. If there is a "p" there, it appears to be upper case non-cursive.

Also, there is another name written across the star in captain america's chest. It's also four letters. The first letter could be a capitalized cursive "F" or a "J". The next two letters appear to be lower case cursive "an", and the last letter looks like a lower case cursive "s". Does that ring any bells?

(image is clickable)

th_USA7-thirdname_zpshordoryp.jpg

Edited by cousin itt

There's actually a lot of google hits on the name Paul Mittelbuscher.

Lots of his letters in pulps are documented here and there, one fanzine he was involved in was "Fan To See", and I wonder if somebody in in this thread snapped up this item signed TO Paul rather than BY Paul, on ebay last week. ;)

edit -- spoke too soon, looks like it's relisted...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIGNED-Galleon-Of-Dream-LIN-CARTER-1953-Poems-Fantasy-Science-Fiction-Fanzine/111615667840

Man, you guys are sharp!!!

I'm pretty sure Joe has a lot of books left. Paul liked to write stuff inside his books. He documented where, when and the amount he paid for them. Joe showed me one where Paul wrote "purloined" (stole) as the price!

I would have wanted that! Hilarious!

Was there a USA 7 in that collection? I just bought a USA 7 on the bay. Not only did someone write "Joe Simon" on the cover. Someone also wrote "paul" in a style similar to many of the "pauls" in this thread, but I have no idea if it's the same paul.

(image is clickable)

I suspect this puppy was one of 'em... :insane:

b390adc5-dc33-46f8-919e-abad6b2fce7b_zpsca5d3322.jpg

Classic key (last Bucky; 1st Golden Girl) and a very tough book in the run. :cloud9:

our%20gang%2037%20bc_zpssicrtoul.jpg

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the fact that Paul Mittelbuscher was a member of SF fandom in the 1950's and was the editor of at least one fanzine that I can remember.

From time to time he also used to write letters to the editors of pulp magazines.

Here are a couple I found in Weird Tales.

May 1953

paulletter1.jpg

January 1954

paulletter2.jpg

Thanks BZ, I didn't really do any research on Paul, so I was unaware of his place in fandom. But it is not surprising due to the length of time he collected, and he was at the right age to contribute to early fandom. Cool stuff

(image is clickable)

Classic key (last Bucky; 1st Golden Girl) and a very tough book in the run. :cloud9: [/quote)

Yep, that came from Ed's buy. Would have loved to have gotten those too but I can't be greedy!

Welcome to the "Paul" club Cat. Nice one to break your cherry on. Mind me asking where you got it? I'm trying to trace the lineage on these. (You can PM me if you want) or just tell me none of my business too!

(image is clickable)

Classic key (last Bucky; 1st Golden Girl) and a very tough book in the run. :cloud9: [/quote)

Yep, that came from Ed's buy. Would have loved to have gotten those too but I can't be greedy!

Welcome to the "Paul" club Cat. Nice one to break your cherry on. Mind me asking where you got it? I'm trying to trace the lineage on these. (You can PM me if you want) or just tell me none of my business too!

Thanks. It's no big secret that I snagged that puppy off the boards. My buddy Roy (Vintage Comics) listed it in the sales thread. Either Roy or someone else gave me the heads-up knowing that HG Caps were in my wheelhouse. I was just a little quicker on the trigger than other boardie's that day. Sorry, I can't provide more help on the provenance. You'll have to ask him. (thumbs u

This is awesome.... or I am just completely misunderstanding what's really going on here.

So there's really a guy named Paul who's these books were? The one and same Paul and you guys seek out and collect his old books?

Being named Paul myself, this is just too cool to me. I want some Paul books too..... does it count if I make some of my own? JK :)

Edited by AshKenziePaul

This is awesome.... or I am just completely misunderstanding what's really going on here.

So there's really a guy named Paul who's these books were? The one and same Paul and you guys seek out and collect his old books?

Being named Paul myself, this is just too cool to me. I want some Paul books too..... does it count if I make some of my own? JK :)

M'thinks it only counts if you buy some of your own. Otherwise, it would just be a-Pauling. hm

I know,doesn't it!? After seeing so many of Bills and Robots...I'm emotionally attached to this collection even though I've not a one....BangZoom...do you remember what 'zine? Feels historic to me...

Lots of his letters in pulps are documented here and there, one fanzine he was involved in was "Fan To See",

That's the one I was thinking of. :)

(image is clickable)

Thanks. It's no big secret that I snagged that puppy off the boards. My buddy Roy (Vintage Comics) listed it in the sales thread. Either Roy or someone else gave me the heads-up knowing that HG Caps were in my wheelhouse. I was just a little quicker on the trigger than other boardie's that day. Sorry, I can't provide more help on the provenance. You'll have to ask him. (thumbs u

Well it looks like that one went from "Paul" to Joe (the buyer of the collection), to Ed Robertson to Roy? to you! But Somehow I think it has found a final resting place! Wonder where the other 4 beauties are now... Awesome book Cat!