• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mass Delusion and Comic Collecting?

150 posts in this topic

Please I beg of everyone,,, do not commit financial suicide by slabbing moderns rantrant

While I agree it is a crazy, speculator heavy modern comic market... I completely disagree with this sort of thinking.

Slab what you want - I have many slabbed moderns. Not because I think they're worth something, but because I love them.

The argument could even be made for slabbing moderns for financial purposes... some people make a great deal of money doing so.

People buying slabbed moderns-those are the ones gonna feel the pain.

Please I beg of everyone,,, do not commit financial suicide by slabbing moderns rantrant

While I agree it is a crazy, speculator heavy modern comic market... I completely disagree with this sort of thinking.

Slab what you want - I have many slabbed moderns. Not because I think they're worth something, but because I love them.

The argument could even be made for slabbing moderns for financial purposes... some people make a great deal of money doing so.

People buying slabbed moderns-those are the ones gonna feel the pain.

It will only hurt if they bought them for the wrong reason or paid a ridiculous price.

"Ridiculous" is subjective from buyer to buyer. I personally have to think about it for a good while before I'll pull the trigger on a modern slab over $100.

When something is made to be collectible it always crashes. GA and SA comics are a different story.

I don't think GA and SA are completely immune.

That "in grade" element is the zero-double-zero of the roulette wheel. Know what I mean?

A book is as common as table salt below _fill in blank_, but OMG just try and find one at _fill in blank_ or above! You just can't!! (well, you probably can actually, with lots and lots of moola to light your way)

The Lizard people are still around and they they still come up.

These shows are cool if unbelievable Just interesting to listen to. Problem is they come on way too late , like 2AM.

I've been listening via YouTube and my Roku. Always a night behind, but a 4 hour show is roughly 2 with the breaks removed.

What I enjoy most is the 'long format' of the interviews. Plenty of time for someone to fully make their point. As a listener it shifts between "sense of wonder" stuff and critical-thinking exercises. Hogwash :screwy: to Hmmm :think: .

Glad I found Coast to Coast AM. :cloud9:

As long as platinum savings accounts are yielding .02%, people will continue to buy comics, stocks, records, concert posters, coins, pretty much anything that doesn't require 360,000 years to double your money. Will it end well? Who knows, but do you have any better ideas on where to park part of your money? I look at Nasdaq 5000 and remember what happened the last time we got there and 10 year bonds at 1.9% are about as exciting as rubbing one off to a Readers Digest. International stocks look enticing but Europe keeps chasing good money after bad in Greece and oh so many foreign countries are dependent on higher oil prices.

Compared to some of this stuff blue-chip Golden Age Timely's look cheap.

As long as platinum savings accounts are yielding .02%, people will continue to buy comics, stocks, records, concert posters, coins, pretty much anything that doesn't require 360,000 years to double your money. Will it end well? Who knows, but do you have any better ideas on where to park part of your money? I look at Nasdaq 5000 and remember what happened the last time we got there and 10 year bonds at 1.9% are about as exciting as rubbing one off to a Readers Digest. International stocks look enticing but Europe keeps chasing good money after bad in Greece and oh so many foreign countries are dependent on higher oil prices.

My traditional investments have been doing pretty well for the last four years :wishluck:

Rule of 72 my man. Divide your rate of return into 72 and that's how long your money will take to double roughly. 6% interest takes about 12 years to double; 72/6=12. 72/.002%=360,000. It's a bit of an exaggeration but not by much. The old, trusty savings account is not long for this Earth.

My traditional investments have been doing pretty well for the last four years :wishluck:

Makes two of us but I prefer to look through the windshield and not the rear view mirror. If our economy is growing 1-1-5% and our markets are yielding 15%, something has to give. I don't think that something is GSX #1.

10 year bonds are only 1.9%? What a rip off. I'm getting about that as a yearly dividend from my S&P index (and it's up on the year as well). And if Nasdaq at 5000 worries you (with a P/E ratio of about 22) how must comics at all time highs worry you (with a P/E ratio of ∞?).

This Time It's Different™

The formula, while not precise, accounts for compound interest.

Thats a ridiculous return then. Pretty weak.

The formula, while not precise, accounts for compound interest.

Thats a ridiculous return then. Pretty weak.

Speaking of US bonds... The return is that weak because the US dollar is the proverbial safe port in a storm. Massive amounts of money - foreign and domestic were put into the US currency during the recent troubles, so of course, the returns dropped.

The return can be considered the amount that the US has to pay to borrow money.

10 year bonds are only 1.9%? What a rip off. I'm getting about that as a yearly dividend from my S&P index (and it's up on the year as well). And if Nasdaq at 5000 worries you (with a P/E ratio of about 22) how must comics at all time highs worry you (with a P/E ratio of ∞?).

The Nasdaq composite is front loaded with tech giants with P/E ratios (Share Price/Earnings Per Share or profit over earnings-PE ratio) in the mid to high teens. AAPL, INTC, MSFT,CSCO are all massive companies with growth rates not necessarily attractive for PE's at these levels. The average PE for stocks throughout the last 60 years or so is a smidge above 15. So, yes, if you think expensive stocks in a lagging economy is a great place to park new money, be my guest. Just don't say I didn't try to warn you. The stock market is currently expensive.

The Nasdaq composite is front loaded with tech giants with P/E ratios (Share Price/Earnings Per Share or profit over earnings-PE ratio) in the mid to high teens. AAPL, INTC, MSFT,CSCO are all massive companies with growth rates not necessarily attractive for PE's at these levels. The average PE for stocks throughout the last 60 years or so is a smidge above 15. So, yes, if you think expensive stocks in a lagging economy is a great place to park new money, be my guest. Just don't say I didn't try to warn you. The stock market is c :ohnoez: urrently expensive.

Hulk head hurt ....