• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

the 1st Harbinger Trade Paperback which also had 2 printings but did not make the extra run on the included issue 0 a 3rd printing, which by all means it should have been.

I have been under the impression that the 2nd printing of the Harbinger Trade Paperback was not bagged, and therefore did not have a Harbinger #0 Blue (or any other book) included.

However, I realize the only way to know if a Harbinger Trade Paperback is 2nd print is by looking inside... which can't be done while it's in the bag.

We'd need to see someone open a bag, find a 2nd print trade inside with a Harbinger #0 Blue... and then study the Harbinger #0 Blue to see if there is any difference at all with the first (and possibly the only) Harbinger #0 Blue. hm

While we're at it... we'd probably want to confirm that nothing is different about the Harbinger #0 Blue which came with the Harbinger trade paperback with the blue bird logo on the cover. lol

I was just about to post that I can definitely confirm that I personally ordered second prints from the diamond star system and got them bagged with a blue zero. But, you have me doubting myself now. I have a second print in my collection, and if it came bagged with a zero I will find them all together (but the bag opened and with the book in mylar). I will double check in my collection the next chance I get.

have I got that wrong? I swore I actually remembered something....

:-(

Here's what I think it is... (I found a 2007 discussion were we tried to figure it out)

Harbinger TPB 1st print - black bird, bagged with #0 blue

Harbinger TPB 1st print - blue bird variant, bagged with #0 blue

Harbinger TPB 2nd print - never bagged

The Blue Bird was an incentive for ordering a certain amount. It's why I still have regular trades that I ordered from diamond in 199whatever.

is there anything special about the Newstand copies of Valiants, I've just found a load

They've been special in the sense that they've been much harder to find than the direct editions.

If they just didn't sell very well and they're all sitting in a warehouse somewhere, that could certainly change. lol

There will always be collectors who do not differentiate between direct edition and newsstand, but it's clear that there are points of time where direct edition was rarer than newsstand (when it was new) and points of time where newsstand is rarer than direct edition (the 1990s, possibly some of the 1980s, and definitely the 2000s).

Not all Valiant titles were sold as newsstand. It's mostly date based, but there are some titles in the correct dates that don't have newsstand.

Since Valiant attempted newsstand sales in 1994-1996, the first Valiant newsstands have a different price (making them somewhat more desirable), and the final issues (which were already desirable due to low print) have newsstand variants which might be more collectible than their direct edition counterparts.

The books in between, which are newsstand with the same price as direct edition, are definitely harder to find, but as with most "variants", if there's nothing special about the regular, there's not a lot to get excited about in the less-common. Still, if a regular is $1, then the Valiant newsstand is probably $3 to $5.... possibly more for strict high grade.

Is there a list someone that shows which V1 characters are now in the Valiant Entertainment era? Also in contrast to that main or semi-main characters that are not or haven't yet appeared in the Entertainment Era.

One of my favorite V1 characters was X-O Commando (Kazuyo Nakadai). I haven't read all of the new stuff by far but am trying to catch up.

Just wanted to know if there were suggestions of reading for classic characters. Also loved Unity and MotherGod (Erica Pierce), now why doesn't CGC recognize Solar #1 as her first appearance? She was the key villain to the entire thing.

Also out the Geomancers, who would you all consider the most important and do any show up in the new valiant era?

Khanit

Buck McHenry

Geoff McHenry

Lucinda Mendez

Yuri Pierce

Ana Kawainui

Rokland Tate

Aram Anni-Padda

Kay McHenry

Is there a list someone that shows which V1 characters are now in the Valiant Entertainment era? Also in contrast to that main or semi-main characters that are not or haven't yet appeared in the Entertainment Era.

That's mostly evident from the titles of the books. Fortunately for new readers no knowledge of the original universe is needed to follow the VEI books, so not necessary to read the classics to enjoy the new books.

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

I am really getting deep here with some of the characters but after re-reading all the pre-unity and unity story line again over the past few weeks, I want to make sure I have those books as well. Is the Lydia in X-O the same character that Shadowman befriended for a few issues?

Any chance that VEI has or will finish the last VH1 Ninjak story?

It was cool, and then suddenly we never got issue 27. :sorry:

I think they're focusing on the new stuff now. Hopefully they'll get to the point where they do annual Yearbooks that feature stories from the original universe.

What are some ways to catch up on classic valiant reading? I got the masters HC books down. Any TPB that aren't super rare or expensive? Is the rai flipbooks from Magnus 5-8 covered in any collected format?

What are some ways to catch up on classic valiant reading? I got the masters HC books down. Any TPB that aren't super rare or expensive? Is the rai flipbooks from Magnus 5-8 covered in any collected format?

The Rai flipbook was really the second chapter in each issue that started on the Magnus side. Chances are slim that those issues will be reprinted, since VEI doesn't have the rights to the Gold Key characters. So, for the Gold Key characters, your best option is to hunt down the back issues, or, with Magnus 5 now going for a premium, look for the second Magnus trade paperback, "Invasion" (although that can be tough to find cheap as well). There are Solar trades that reprint the origin story that was serialized in the first 10 issues, and another for the first arc (issues 1-4). For 5-10, again, the only legal option is to find the original issues. (Fortunately the reprint of 10 can keep the cost down on that story.)

For all other properties owned by VEI, there are a few options. Most of the line is available on Comixology, and they occasionally have .99 sales. They're also started collecting them in hardcovers, although I don't think any series has more than one volume (about 7 issues) so far.