• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

Yeah, definitely a milestone especially in this age of constant renumbering and such. I've actually been catching up on this one lately. It's great. I hope it goes 300 issues.

Calling Bloodshot #1 from the new company "Bloodshot's 1st app" is silly; Almost as silly as calling the first book to get to 25 issues a "key". (X-O #25? Really? lol )

Agreed. "Key" isn't the right word. "Milestone" might be... there were a number of retailers (and loud people in general) who said Valiant won't last 6 months. Issue #25 in a row, on time, every month, was a milestone that many naysayers should have had foot for dinner.

Yeah, definitely a milestone especially in this age of constant renumbering and such. I've actually been catching up on this one lately. It's great. I hope it goes 300 issues.

Calling Bloodshot #1 from the new company "Bloodshot's 1st app" is silly; Almost as silly as calling the first book to get to 25 issues a "key". (X-O #25? Really? lol )

Agreed. "Key" isn't the right word. "Milestone" might be... there were a number of retailers (and loud people in general) who said Valiant won't last 6 months. Issue #25 in a row, on time, every month, was a milestone that many naysayers should have had foot for dinner.

Venditti had never written monthly comics before X-O Manowar. It didn't take long before DC called him to write Green Lantern. lol

Pimping a website that ISN'T mine... lol

Possible key issues from the NEW Valiant Universe books:

http://valiantdatabase.com/books/keys

Does ANYONE count the first (non original) apps of the New Valiant as keys? Like to I care about first Ninjak or Archer and Armstrong? Is it essentially like the first Batman in New 52?

Not sure about that... it does seem like the first Batman in New 52, but there was 15+ years of no Valiant.

Would it be more like Captain America returning to Marvel in Avengers #4? hm

There seem to be three types of "firsts" in Valiant 2012-present

1) First appearance of an all new character (Bleeding Monk)

2) First appearance of an almost completely new character (Livewire)

3) First 2012 appearance of prior character (X-O Manowar)

I guess it's similar to 1992's Valiant Magnus #12 being the first appearance of Turok in the Valiant Universe. His true first appearance was Four Color #596 from 1954, but Magnus #12 was a Valiant key. hm

Yeah, they certainly aren't true first appearances, but the new VEI universe feels very different and seems completely removed from those original incarnations, at least in my mind. There isn't really much of a connection between the original Valiant comics and the VEI comics, other than in name. And as somebody who has been been reading all the new VEI titles published since 2012, I feel the first appearances in the new VEI universe are significant in their own right. While most collectors will probably always go after the original Valiant Comics first appearances, I just don't find myself caring that much about those books. That may be due, in part, to the fact that the original Valiant books are so plentiful that there really is no challenge in collecting them. If you want them there are plenty out there for everybody. But many of the new VEI books, especially some of the rare variant covers, are legitimately tough to get. It's like there are two completely different eras of Valiant comics, both unique, but excellent in their own ways.

Any other books folks are trying to locate right now that haven't been mentioned. My valiant collection just keeps growing, Need more!

As a joke, I was going to suggest some of the highest-printed issues of the original series that weren't #1s. But actually some of those are keys. The most abundant Bloodshot after 1 is the first Ninjak. The most abundant Eternal Warrior is the first full Immortal Enemy. One of the H.A.R.D.Corps members makes a first appearance in the most abundant issue of that series, etc.

Not sure why, but, I bought a bunch of keys for $2-$4 each yesterday.

Well, you know how much you're risking... and it just doesn't seem like there's much downside.

You might make $20+ each someday, but no matter what, you'll never lose more than $4.

Since current issues are on the stands in comic shops for $3.99... it's likely that the (20-plus-year-old) $4 Valiant key books have more potential.

(Unless those current issues have a first appearance, too... in which case, you'll have to be psychic to predict which is the eventual winner.) :grin:

Any other books folks are trying to locate right now that haven't been mentioned. My valiant collection just keeps growing, Need more!

The "other two cosmonauts" appear in Divinity #3. They go further into "the unknown" than Divinity (Abram) did. The 1:20 for #3 is probably 500 copies or so.

Just read this entire thread (took me a couple of days) and thoroughly enjoyed it! One of the most insightful threads I have read in a long time on here. (thumbs u

As someone who is new to the world of valiant, and who has mostly been a Marvel collector, I really enjoyed everyone's insights into publisher and the current resurgence in interest. It really has made me want to explore the universe and see what I have been missing all these years.

I just wished I hadn't passed up on all those copies of Bloodshot #1's and Rai 0's etc I have seen while rummaging through 50p boxes at LCS's and at car boots sales lol

Just read this entire thread (took me a couple of days) and thoroughly enjoyed it! One of the most insightful threads I have read in a long time on here. (thumbs u

As someone who is new to the world of valiant, and who has mostly been a Marvel collector, I really enjoyed everyone's insights into publisher and the current resurgence in interest. It really has made me want to explore the universe and see what I have been missing all these years.

I just wished I hadn't passed up on all those copies of Bloodshot #1's and Rai 0's etc I have seen while rummaging through 50p boxes at LCS's and at car boots sales lol

Welcome, it gets addicting so be careful:)

We got back into comics because walking dead, than it spun off into Marvel / DC and now back to valiant. Valiant was where comics started for us back in the 90's as a kid.

I sold all three of my 9.8 blue Harby #1s. $720,. $720, and $650 (I needed the money.)

My "willing to sell" price was always $500. I refused to sell below that. For several years, no interest....and why should there be, the book was selling for $300-$400.

I'm very glad I waited.

On to the next batch!

Just went up to my parents attic and pulled down my box of Valiant keys from 20 year ago. Here's what I found. All were bought off the shelves!

Archer + Armstrong #8 = EW #8

Bloodshot #1, 6(12), 7(2), 8, 9

Dr. Mirage #1

Eternal Warrior #4(2), 6, 7, 8(4), 9(5), 11, 14, 15

Harbinger #10(3), 14(5), 16, 17(3)

Magnus #24(4)

Rai #0(6), 9(3)

Secret Weapons #1(2)

Shadowman #8(15), 9(3), 10, 11, 12(2), 15, 16(2)

Solar #11, 14(2), 15, 23(3)

X-O #0, 14(2), 15

Just went up to my parents attic and pulled down my box of Valiant keys from 20 year ago. Here's what I found. All were bought off the shelves!

Archer + Armstrong #8 = EW #8

Bloodshot #1, 6(12), 7(2), 8, 9

Dr. Mirage #1

Eternal Warrior #4(2), 6, 7, 8(4), 9(5), 11, 14, 15

Harbinger #10(3), 14(5), 16, 17(3)

Magnus #24(4)

Rai #0(6), 9(3)

Secret Weapons #1(2)

Shadowman #8(15), 9(3), 10, 11, 12(2), 15, 16(2)

Solar #11, 14(2), 15, 23(3)

X-O #0, 14(2), 15

I bet you LOVED seeing them all again! Congrats!

Thanks! I bought most of the key pre-Unity Valiants ahead of the curve and sold them all. Obviously I kept buying until the music stopped and then I just put them up in the attic. I'm very happy that the market on a lot of these has turned around. Guess I'll be sending a big shipment off to CGC next week.

What is considered the true first appearance of Livewire? I'm talking about the Livewire that has become such a prominent player in the current VEI universe. Is it Harbinger (V1) #15 or Harbinger (VEI) #3?

Harbinger (V1) #15 is listed as the first Livewire, but I just read that book and, unless I missed something, there is nobody referred to as Livewire in that book. There is an Amanda who makes a quick appearance, but she's white! The current Livewire (also named Amanda) is African-American. I never read the original Harbinger series so I don't know if that Amanda from Harbinger #15 becomes Livewire and what her powers are. Does she have the same powers as the VEI Amanda/Livewire?

I'm just trying to figure out if the new Amanda/Livewire is an updated version of the same character from the V1 universe, or a brand new character.