• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So my Paypal account got hacked on Sunday...

14 posts in this topic

For starters, it was a little dumb for the hacker to do this on a Sunday as he was using an echeck scam so it gave me 24 hours to work with my bank on Monday.

So I hadn't logged on to Paypal since a transaction on Friday March 6. I pull up my on-line banking and see that I have an echeck pending for a guy I did an ebay transaction (who lives in Canada...I do not know him)...being issued as a full refund. He bought five CGC JIMs for about $1700.

So I call Paypal, talk to some guy from India who's hard to understand and he assured me everything was good and in progress for the refund I was issuing. After about 2 or 3 passes I finally got him to understand I'M NOT TRYING TO ISSUE A REFUND! SOMEONE HAS HACKED MY ACCOUNT AND IS TRYING TO STEAL MY MONEY! :censored::frustrated:

So he finally shuttled me over to Security. I let Security know the problem and the guy puts me on hold for a few minutes and comes back and says "You issued the refund." I said what are you talking about? I checked my Paypal log-on history and I didn't log on between 3.6 and 3.9! He said we show no suspicious activity on our end and we show you issued the refund! At this point I feel like I'm talking to the crooks.

I said I'll get back to you. Man talk about the gaslight treatment! :insane:

So I call my bank, file a claim, and put a stop notice on the echeck. No problem. Bank waived the stop notice fees.

(Got to thinking it was weird that it was an echeck...but after talking to another boardie friend he explained that they had it issued as an echeck so it could be mailed to any address. Why this didn't register with PP Security is a good question. :censored: )

So I'm feeling a little better. I call Paypal back and get another gentleman who speaks much clearer English and is much nicer/more personable than the original guy. I explain the problem and he pulls something up on his end and says "OK...I've got you covered! You've definitely been hacked and the refund was engineered by an outside party." I asked him how the previous Security search didn't arrive at the same conclusion :o and he didn't have an answer but he says it took him about 2 seconds to figure it out. He was very nice and had me change my password and said everything was OK for me.

But he did say I needed to request the original ebay buyer to go into his account and process "CANCEL REFUND" on his end which he hasn't done yet. It's a mystery to me now that PP knows this is fraudulent activity they have no means to scrub the transaction (?) (shrug) Weird!

my Paypal account was hacked once, many years ago. Paypal noticed it and gave me a phone call.

The weird part: The people who hacked it deposited $6500 in my account. (shrug)

Apparently they were trying to use my account to launder money. I was very lucky.

my Paypal account was hacked once, many years ago. Paypal noticed it and gave me a phone call.

Apparently they were trying to use my account to launder money. I was very lucky.

You're Crimebuster - no luck involved.

Did you get to keep the money?

You're Crimebuster - no luck involved.

lol

my card just got hacked this past weekend because i got an email from paypal to update my user agreement then a few days later i had $400 in charges. i went back to the email and they took it down because of phishing. the crazy thing is they already had most of my info in the email and it looked just like paypal. the lady at the bank told me how smart these hackers are now and its just scary.

Paypal will always use your name in emails and ask you to log in separately-those emails that want you to click on a link-avoid.

Always

plus forward the email to spoof@paypal.com

For AOL aol_phish@abuse.aol.com

Most email providers, including Gmail, allow you to report suspicious emails and phishing scams. To report phishing in Gmail, click the drop-down arrow next to “Reply” and select “Report phishing.”