• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Inputs on Postal Situation

44 posts in this topic

Just to be clear, the package was not opened by me. It came back to me opened up, with all tracking/address info ripped off the package.

Just curious how often all of you get packages back pre-opened by the wrong recipient.

Apologies for being far from clear in my original post.

Just to be clear, the package was not opened by me. It came back to me opened up, with all tracking/address info ripped off the package.

Just curious how often all of you get packages back pre-opened by the wrong recipient.

I have a situation similar to Robot Man. A number of months ago I ordered something from Amazon, and tracking said it would be delivered on Sunday. Wow, I didn't know that was possible, and I discovered they had made a deal for Sunday delivery in certain places. Cool. Late Sunday, I realized I hadn't seen a package, checked the tracking, and it said "delivered." Never showed up, I ended up calling Amazon, and they sent me a new one.

So, a few months later, I bought some comics, books didn't show up when the tracking said they had been delivered, Fedex this time. Called Fedex, they put in a trace. A couple days later, the doorbell rings, guy says, "I think my mother got some of your packages." He had the comics, AND the Amazon package, which was open. He said, "Sorry about the open one, she didn't realize it wasn't for her." His mother lived at 15145 My Street, I live at 15045 My Street.

You should change your street address. The street I live on separates two towns I live in one town and the people across the other side of the street live in another town we both have odd numbers on our houses when I move then I shared the same number as the people across the street I changed it immediately and have had no problems cents

I have a similar problem. I am missing my package. I live on a culdesac. There are 4 of them in a row in my neighbor hood. All 4 streets have the same street numbers just different street. IE: 1234 Main St, 1234 Maple St ect...

I was waiting for my package and never got it. I emailed the seller and he told me it was tracked and delivered last 3/7 Sat. (Thanks for letting me know ahead of time...) Anyway, I saw the carrier deliver my mail and went out and got it. No package but because the seller didn't tell me the tracking number I didn't know to look for it.

Here's the rub. A guy on next street over with the same numerical address dropped off a misdirected package a couple of days ago that was supposed to come to me. My wife got the neighbor's mail from the next street over on Sat.

I went to my post office this past Sat and talked to a clerk who confirmed it was delivered on 3/7 but told me that the post master would call me. He didn't so I called today. Got the "I'll look into it and get back to you". Haven't heard back. I gotta assume the worst and figure my post office !@#$%^ up and I'm left holding the bag I guess.

Sorry for the rant but I'm real bummed and figure I'm just screwed. I have never had post office troubles in a million years dealing thru the mail. My post office people are just incompetent losers. UPS and FedEx are looking better and better...

I have never had post office troubles in a million years dealing thru the mail....

I'm afraid we're all going to have to get used to it. And it will no doubt get much worse before it gets any better (if it ever does).

As I've mentioned elsewhere before, I'm a former USPS employee, and still have friends there, including my old (and excellent) letter carrier who took early retirement a few years ago. The short version of what he told me then goes something like this: the PO is bleeding money and has been for years (for a variety of reasons) and jobs are being cut -- no surprises there. What's not widely known is that veteran employees with decades of experience and expertise are being given incentives to retire early or quit, and that new/recent hires are quite likely being poorly or inadequately trained.

So the decline in service many of us are experiencing is no accident: I've had more mis-directed, mis-delivered, lost, damaged, or other forms of "problem" mail--both sent and received by me--in the past two years than I've had in the 20 or so years that I've lived at my present address. A big mail order dealer likewise told me that in December 2014 & January 2015 he received complaints for more late deliveries for Priority Mail packages than in the previous 12 months combined.

More details are here...

http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RS22864.pdf

...but here's the meat of it:

The size of the USPS workforce has declined over the past two decades. The most substantial declines have occurred since 2007, at which time the USPS began to undertake workforce reductions as a cost-cutting strategy in response to the onset of significant financial challenges.

Since FY2007, there has been a reduction of 168,215 employees (21.4%) from USPS’s workforce. The USPS has indicated that it intends to continue to reduce its workforce size and has established a goal of reducing its career workforce to 400,000 employees by 2017. The USPS has reduced its workforce primarily through attrition and separation incentives to retire or resign. Throughout 2013 and 2014, USPS offered several retirement incentives to its employees, including postmasters, mail handlers, postal clerks, and supervisors.

Not good at all...

I have a similar problem. I am missing my package. I live on a culdesac. There are 4 of them in a row in my neighbor hood. All 4 streets have the same street numbers just different street. IE: 1234 Main St, 1234 Maple St ect...

I was waiting for my package and never got it. I emailed the seller and he told me it was tracked and delivered last 3/7 Sat. (Thanks for letting me know ahead of time...) Anyway, I saw the carrier deliver my mail and went out and got it. No package but because the seller didn't tell me the tracking number I didn't know to look for it.

Here's the rub. A guy on next street over with the same numerical address dropped off a misdirected package a couple of days ago that was supposed to come to me. My wife got the neighbor's mail from the next street over on Sat.

I went to my post office this past Sat and talked to a clerk who confirmed it was delivered on 3/7 but told me that the post master would call me. He didn't so I called today. Got the "I'll look into it and get back to you". Haven't heard back. I gotta assume the worst and figure my post office !@#$%^ up and I'm left holding the bag I guess.

Sorry for the rant but I'm real bummed and figure I'm just screwed. I have never had post office troubles in a million years dealing thru the mail. My post office people are just incompetent losers. UPS and FedEx are looking better and better...

Have you talk you neighbors get their advices?

Yes first thing I did was to go to each house with the same number and inquire about it. No luck. They are all aware especially the guy that got my other package and the one who's Mail I got. They didn't seem too worried about it. I gave them my phone number and said if they get one of my packages to please call me and I would come over to get it.

I have a situation similar to Robot Man. A number of months ago I ordered something from Amazon, and tracking said it would be delivered on Sunday. Wow, I didn't know that was possible, and I discovered they had made a deal for Sunday delivery in certain places. Cool. Late Sunday, I realized I hadn't seen a package, checked the tracking, and it said "delivered." Never showed up, I ended up calling Amazon, and they sent me a new one.

So, a few months later, I bought some comics, books didn't show up when the tracking said they had been delivered, Fedex this time. Called Fedex, they put in a trace. A couple days later, the doorbell rings, guy says, "I think my mother got some of your packages." He had the comics, AND the Amazon package, which was open. He said, "Sorry about the open one, she didn't realize it wasn't for her." His mother lived at 15145 My Street, I live at 15045 My Street.

If it were an Amazon product it would be easily replaceable. Not so much on a near one of a kind collectible item...

You should change your street address. The street I live on separates two towns I live in one town and the people across the other side of the street live in another town we both have odd numbers on our houses when I move then I shared the same number as the people across the street I changed it immediately and have had no problems cents

Huh? How can you change your address other than moving? Both sides of my street are in the same town.

I have never had post office troubles in a million years dealing thru the mail....

I'm afraid we're all going to have to get used to it. And it will no doubt get much worse before it gets any better (if it ever does).

As I've mentioned elsewhere before, I'm a former USPS employee, and still have friends there, including my old (and excellent) letter carrier who took early retirement a few years ago. The short version of what he told me then goes something like this: the PO is bleeding money and has been for years (for a variety of reasons) and jobs are being cut -- no surprises there. What's not widely known is that veteran employees with decades of experience and expertise are being given incentives to retire early or quit, and that new/recent hires are quite likely being poorly or inadequately trained.

So the decline in service many of us are experiencing is no accident: I've had more mis-directed, mis-delivered, lost, damaged, or other forms of "problem" mail--both sent and received by me--in the past two years than I've had in the 20 or so years that I've lived at my present address. A big mail order dealer likewise told me that in December 2014 & January 2015 he received complaints for more late deliveries for Priority Mail packages than in the previous 12 months combined.

More details are here...

http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RS22864.pdf

...but here's the meat of it:

The size of the USPS workforce has declined over the past two decades. The most substantial declines have occurred since 2007, at which time the USPS began to undertake workforce reductions as a cost-cutting strategy in response to the onset of significant financial challenges.

Since FY2007, there has been a reduction of 168,215 employees (21.4%) from USPS’s workforce. The USPS has indicated that it intends to continue to reduce its workforce size and has established a goal of reducing its career workforce to 400,000 employees by 2017. The USPS has reduced its workforce primarily through attrition and separation incentives to retire or resign. Throughout 2013 and 2014, USPS offered several retirement incentives to its employees, including postmasters, mail handlers, postal clerks, and supervisors.

Not good at all...

Yeah, new mailman. My old one was an older guy that was real cool. We knew each other's names. The real problem is accountability. The postmaster is going to take the side of the carrier and probably just blow me off. Escalating it would probably do me no good either. If that happened at my job someone would get fired! Oh, now that I have complained, I'm sure I haven't made any points with my mailman...

Huh? How can you change your address other than moving? Both sides of my street are in the same town.

Go to your town hall and tell them you want to change your house number. As long as there are gaps available (if your house is 1234 and 1232 is on one side and 1236 on the other you cannot change as the numbers need to remain consecutive) you should be able to do so. You fill out a form and buy new numbers at Lowes or whatever, put them on the house and voila, new home address. I changed from 109 to 111. Tell them mail is lost regularly due to the similar numbered houses in the area. After you get approval and offical paperwork you have to change with your mortgage and utilities but that should not be a problem either.

If it were an Amazon product it would be easily replaceable. Not so much on a near one of a kind collectible item...

Exactly. That's why I kinda shrugged my shoulders and got Amazon to send me another one, but worked to track down the second package.

First off, anybody opening mail not addressed to them is a federal offense. You could turn in the people who it was delivered to who opened it.

Second, USPS is a no-fault company. They will not take responsibility for their worker's damaging, losing, misdelivering, etc. I recently bought off of Amazon a small electronic cord that one of the delivery drives who delivers on the day off of our regular swears that she delivered to my box. I was making calls and followups for a week and got no where. I was eventually told that after they deliver it there is nothing they can do about it. I was so close to picketing my local post office. :frustrated:

It might be one of those crimes that's never actually enforced. Like I could have a beef with my neighbor and open my mail then say my neighbor opened it and returned it to me.

Wow. "'The lady watched for sometime and was ashamed, disgusted and upset and my client accepts that."

First off, anybody opening mail not addressed to them is a federal offense. You could turn in the people who it was delivered to who opened it.

Second, USPS is a no-fault company. They will not take responsibility for their worker's damaging, losing, misdelivering, etc. I recently bought off of Amazon a small electronic cord that one of the delivery drives who delivers on the day off of our regular swears that she delivered to my box. I was making calls and followups for a week and got no where. I was eventually told that after they deliver it there is nothing they can do about it. I was so close to picketing my local post office. :frustrated:

I sent a package to SC comics in South Carolina,two day priority. It didn't show up for two weeks. Man was that a nail biter. :eek:

I imagine it would be pretty much impossible to find someone guilty of this if the mail was delivered to their address by mistake.