• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I hit the Trifecta! posted by DBoy

13 posts in this topic

I never thought it would happen but then.........

I actually manged to get all 3 issues of ASM #'s 149, 150 & 151.

It took me almost 3 years to get all 3 of these clone story issues in 9.8 was so difficult and the feeling Of satisfaction that I have finally completed them is pure Utopia. I had picked up the 151 over the summer from Heritage auctions and finally had found the 149 on Comic Link. I know I way overpaid for the 149 & 151 by double compared to what GPA had listed and I'm not surprised due to their rarities in the comic market as of late but it's over now and I am just glad that I have them and will be pulling back on the buying for a while..... I hope.

This addition has really made my ASM collection really stand out but I digress there are way better sets than mine so I can only dream of hitting that #1 spot in the registry some day.

Thanks for reading.

16468.jpg

See more journals by DBoy

Congrats, great books (thumbs u

#140 was the first Spidey I read, I was 5 years old (ok, maybe I just looked at the drawings ;) )- it also took me several years to find it in 9.8 with perfect cover orientation and no miswrap (extremely hard for this book) - and pure white pages:

RADBA64020131021_1435592_zps5wtrek6c.jpg

Beautiful and well done! This is a charge of nostalgia. I loved the Gerry Conway / Ross Andru work, every month those issues were some of the most anticipated to pick up....

I remember 151 especially since I had started a subscription to Spidey, but went on a trip to Minnesota, a 12 hour drive to see my sister. I had not read comics for a month, and had a stack about a foot high, which I read on the way, and on the way back. When I got back after dark, Spidey 151 was waiting in our stuffed mailbox (folded in half of course)

I never thought it would happen but then.........

I actually manged to get all 3 issues of ASM #'s 149, 150 & 151.

It took me almost 3 years to get all 3 of these clone story issues in 9.8 was so difficult and the feeling Of satisfaction that I have finally completed them is pure Utopia. I had picked up the 151 over the summer from Heritage auctions and finally had found the 149 on Comic Link. I know I way overpaid for the 149 & 151 by double compared to what GPA had listed and I'm not surprised due to their rarities in the comic market as of late but it's over now and I am just glad that I have them and will be pulling back on the buying for a while..... I hope.

This addition has really made my ASM collection really stand out but I digress there are way better sets than mine so I can only dream of hitting that #1 spot in the registry some day.

Thanks for reading.

16468.jpg

See more journals by DBoy

.....you didn't overpay, you just set a new benchmark..... GOD BLESS.....-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

A bit on overpaying. It has been my experience that getting what I really want, price be damned, always pays over the long hall. I have a stack of those early nineties X-men 1's with the variant covers that I thought might be in demand in the future... no one wants them including me. About five years ago I decided I had to get a few silver age keys. I did so on eBay and none of them were deals at the time. They were ST110 CGC 6.0 for $500, ASM1 CGC 2.5 for $1100, TOS39 CGC 3.0 for $800 and JIM83 CGC 2.5 for $800. Get what you REALLY want... if you want it, other people probably will too!

p.s. At the same time I made those great buys, I unloaded FF38-47 all CGC 7.0 for about $100 apiece! Ouch!!!

Those books do look great together and it's cool that it completes a storyline. You really can't go wrong with high grade ASM...or X-men for that matter. The blue chip stocks of comics! I try to pick up reading copies of the Silver/Bronze books when I can because I love those stories...and Kraven has been a fun villain.

A bit on overpaying. It has been my experience that getting what I really want, price be damned, always pays over the long hall. I have a stack of those early nineties X-men 1's with the variant covers that I thought might be in demand in the future... no one wants them including me. About five years ago I decided I had to get a few silver age keys. I did so on eBay and none of them were deals at the time. They were ST110 CGC 6.0 for $500, ASM1 CGC 2.5 for $1100, TOS39 CGC 3.0 for $800 and JIM83 CGC 2.5 for $800. Get what you REALLY want... if you want it, other people probably will too!

p.s. At the same time I made those great buys, I unloaded FF38-47 all CGC 7.0 for about $100 apiece! Ouch!!!

....this can be especially true when a book has great centering and eye appeal.... these things can create a premium. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u