• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I'll Probably Order Never Another Book From Mile High (a Little Long)

115 posts in this topic

1) Get some people in there who know how to grade and can do so with some consistency. I've ordered 5 NM copies of the same book and have had them range from 8.5 to 9.8 candidate. Right now it's basically a crapshoot.

This.

So what kind of effect will it have on the market when all this stuff is liquidated in a few years?

Its all junk though.

Even mile high guy's secret stash is nothing compared to most casual east coasters with warehouses full of what was considered Drek years ago.

its a total sham, sadly.. the writing is on the wall and has been for years.

the guy got lucky and ran into a nice golden age stash back in the day and has been cashing out ever since..

no disrespect to anyone but this guy is pretty bad for the hobby right now

Im sorry to the Original Author of Thread,

Lone Star comics, Newkadia and a few others I cant recall offhand are legit. trust those guys for sure.. but with MHC you have to be careful.

no witch hunt here, use your own judgement when making orders

I have done business with them once. I needed 23 inexpensive comics to complete a collection. Though inexpensive, they were hard to find. I could have either searched through junk bins at conventions for the next five years or buy all but three from Chuck at a 50% off sale. So I overpaid and got them. I don't regret it.

But I wouldn't recommend going there unless the circumstances were as strange as mine.

It's his business plan, shared by My Comic Shop. It works for them.

I have done business with them once. I needed 23 inexpensive comics to complete a collection. Though inexpensive, they were hard to find. I could have either searched through junk bins at conventions for the next five years or buy all but three from Chuck at a 50% off sale. So I overpaid and got them. I don't regret it.

But I wouldn't recommend going there unless the circumstances were as strange as mine.

I feel the same way. I've only ordered from Milehigh once. Milehigh does fill a need in the hobby. Otherwise, how could they stay in business?

The only thing MCS has listed insanely overpriced are the consignments and they don't set those prices. Conan has posted about what to do with those on here before. I do wish they would do something as just looking at their site and seeing insane MHC-looking prices does them a disservice.

at around 6:30 in the TPB back room, he explains the answer, pretty interesting. I have read his other stuff from time to time, and I know he operates from a different underlying principle.

Everything that people view as common and easy to get, he thinks one day will be very hard to get.

Although moderns are preserved from the moment they are printed and everyone views them as easy to get. I think (and there is some merit to it), he views it from two alternative points of view.

1.) The absolute number of comics being printed has essentially declined continuously. What constitutes a top selling series from the Big 2 nowadays is (for the most part) the lowest its ever been and still falling.

2.) Books, overtime, continue to be dispersed. Moving from points of high concentration to low concentration. From retailers, to individuals, etc. Eventually, the stuff printed now, though not rare compared to GA/SA, and preserved much better than in previous years, will be dispersed to the point where it just cant but easily found. There is no more over printing, no warehouse finds of moderns will ever occur, etc.

I think he believes he will eventually be the only place you can find what you are looking for, and its that long term strategy that he operates towards, and is speaking of in the video.

That model is changing quickly and could backfire, as just about any comic book worth reading can be downloaded in a New York minute to a tablet or ordered as a printed version trade paperback/hardcover with Amazon Prime. The urgency to go order a generic comic book that came out is not there like it use to be, unless it`s a hot movie hyped comic.

So in 5 to 10 years most of his generic stuff could be worth less then it is now.

Why spend higher prices on a bunch of his generic comics when I could order the trade paperbacks on Amazon or download comics to my tablet at a much quicker and cheaper price to read?

I think Chuck Rozanski might be missing how quick the landscape is changing on how people read and collect comics.

So what kind of effect will it have on the market when all this stuff is liquidated in a few years?

Its all junk though.

Even mile high guy's secret stash is nothing compared to most casual east coasters with warehouses full of what was considered Drek years ago.

its a total sham, sadly.. the writing is on the wall and has been for years.

the guy got lucky and ran into a nice golden age stash back in the day and has been cashing out ever since..

no disrespect to anyone but this guy is pretty bad for the hobby right now

Im sorry to the Original Author of Thread,

Lone Star comics, Newkadia and a few others I cant recall offhand are legit. trust those guys for sure.. but with MHC you have to be careful.

no witch hunt here, use your own judgement when making orders

It's been decades since selling Church copies was a significant source of revenue for him.

No kidding , whatever a valiant is ,,not interested now or ever,,,

:facepalm:

whats up with a face palm over drek? I mean if drek is somebodies cup of tea that's cool :) I am no longer against that or even slabbing it, more power to them !!

The face palm is likely over your constant belittling comments towards anyone who doesn't collect the same thing you do. It's kinda rude.

whats up with a face palm over drek? I mean if drek is somebodies cup of tea that's cool :) I am no longer against that or even slabbing it, more power to them !!

The face palm is likely over your constant belittling comments towards anyone who doesn't collect the same thing you do. It's kinda rude.

I admire his consistency. :/

I admire his consistency. :/

I admire it's complete lack of class or human decency. I mean, it's purity.

Ash: You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? Perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.

Lambert: You admire it.

Ash: I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Are all modern comic books automatically drek? Because Valiant was the publisher of the year. I guess they have no idea what they're doing. hm

While we're at it... what's the deal with 1950's war comics anyway?

Wouldn't 1940's war comics automatically be better... you know... since there was a pretty big war? (shrug)

[

While we're at it... what's the deal with 1950's war comics anyway?

Wouldn't 1940's war comics automatically be better... you know... since there was a pretty big war? (shrug)

Everybody knows the 1940's war comics are where its at. I'd honestly say anything north of 1949 is a complete waste of time.

But seriously 1950's War Comics, you seem to spend quite a bit of time expressing your disdain for modern comics. That's obviously going irritate people who enjoy modern comics.

I'm amazed anyone here still orders from them at all after Chuck R's plea for business due to those inconvenienced by the New York Flood from Hurricane Sandy who were unable to make purchases during the crisis.

But... ya know... cool books. :eyeroll:

In the video he very calmly states that he isn't at all bothered about turning a profit, which to me was contradicted by his somewhat frantic response during the hurricane.

I'm amazed anyone here still orders from them at all after Chuck R's plea for business due to those inconvenienced by the New York Flood from Hurricane Sandy who were unable to make purchases during the crisis.

But... ya know... cool books. :eyeroll:

(thumbs u

Just one of many reasons