• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

negotiation skills

133 posts in this topic

Few days ago an ebay seller had a book listed for $1550. I offered $700. He countered at $800 and I accepted. You don't know if you don't ask.

A dealer buddy of mine would say,

"would you sell it to me for $700? Go get as many as you can, and bring them to me and ill buy them all at $700."

This year I am going to take the "best price is on the book already" approach...

I know it buck's the established "negotiating" system that's been in place since comics were bought and sold on the secondary market, but I find it to "make sense"...

I know some folks put "loftier" than necessary prices on their books they sell, maybe hoping to find that one person that "needs" that copy and will pay their price, but my experience is that most all dealers have some built in margin to play with...

I'm going to eliminate that need to "play"....starting at megacon, I will have all my inventory priced at "the price I need" at that moment....hopefully will make shopping with me easier for all...

I believe it is human nature for folks to want to "maximize" their profit... my philosophy is that as long as I get on an elevator and get off on a higher floor, I'm good...I don't have to ride to the top every time... :idea:

I'm even making little signs that communicate this to folks that enter my booth....I'm sure I will still have a ton of "talking" to do, but folks that know me, know that is not a weak skill, so I am prepared :)

I really like this idea. I'm sure a lot of the "what's the best that you could do on this book" is due to the huge amount of dealers who price their books at highest GPA * 1.5. Buyers get used to have to ask what the "real" price on the book is. A lot of times the customer is really just asking "is this comic really for sale?"

If I'm going to an LCS that has a comic I want, I always stop at a sub shop first, and pick-up an Italian hoagie.

I've never met a comic book store owner that could turn down a hoagie. I don't care if he's wiping his mouth with a napkin after just finishing his lunch (which also happened to be an Italian hoagie), when you walk in.

"Hey, just stopped off for a bite and they had buy1 get 1 free. And well, even though I can't eat two subs, I took it. I'd hate to throw it in the trash. It's yours if you want for letting me check out some of the wall stock."

Their mood is now 100% better than before you walked in.

You can quickly turn a $100 comic into a $50 one....um, unless you forget the hots.....if you forget the hots, that $100 comic just became a $115 one.

Seriously though. I used to bribe my mechanic shop by showing up with a pizza and a 6 pack. owner + 3 mechs. Not only would they stop whatever they were doing and check out my problem, but never had to pay for it. A little bit of investment in kindness can not only save you money, but time and bad feelings from trying to dicker.

-Terry

If I'm going to an LCS that has a comic I want, I always stop at a sub shop first, and pick-up an Italian hoagie.

I've never met a comic book store owner that could turn down a hoagie. I don't care if he's wiping his mouth with a napkin after just finishing his lunch (which also happened to be an Italian hoagie), when you walk in.

"Hey, just stopped off for a bite and they had buy1 get 1 free. And well, even though I can't eat two subs, I took it. I'd hate to throw it in the trash. It's yours if you want for letting me check out some of the wall stock."

You can quickly turn a $100 comic into a $50 one....um, unless you forget the hots.....if you forget the hots, that $100 comic just became a $115 one.

Seriously though. I used to bribe my mechanic shop by showing up with a pizza and a 6 pack. owner + 3 mechs. Not only would they stop whatever they were doing and check out my problem, but never had to pay for it. A little bit of investment in kindness can not only save you money, but time and bad feelings from trying to dicker.

-Terry

you can make it a $50 comic by getting some hoagie juice on the cover too

I don't understand people who get "insulted" over negotiations. Why?

Could be a lack of empathy, tact, respect, deference, or any of several other completely appropriate adjectives to describe a total inability to communicate in a way that isn't condescending, annoying or otherwise panty twisting.

People (in this hobby and in areas of business transactions really) have a choice as to how to enter into negotiations. There is a wrong way to do it. A way that will guarantee failure.

Could be a lack of empathy, tact, respect, deference, or any of several other completely appropriate adjectives to describe a total inability to communicate in a way that isn't condescending, annoying or otherwise panty twisting.

People (in this hobby and in areas of business transactions really) have a choice as to how to enter into negotiations. There is a wrong way to do it. A way that will guarantee failure.

I probably should have been more specific. Sure, if the other party calls you a dumb arse or something like that. But on price alone makes no sense to me.

I probably should have been more specific. Sure, if the other party calls you a dumb arse or something like that. But on price alone makes no sense to me.

Price alone may not make sense...it's price in context that is more illustrative.

Was it a sales thread where the guy has priced everything fairly the offer is 1/2 of that? Or is it a thread where the seller prices everything fairly and mentions medical, family, or other reasons for selling and the offer is 1/2 of that? Is it a charity fund raiser thread?

I see a difference between a thread where the guy is 50% over market and is offered market and a thread where the guy is crystal clear that he knows he's priced the books fairly or mentions he's firm on price, etc....or the buyer has already negotiated to a number where the seller has said that's as low as he'll go and the buyer makes another very low offer after that point.

Price alone makes no sense, but price in contact tells the story.

Hey, Wombat. I'll give you $5 for your car.

now lets start the haggling process...I will continue to lowball whatever offer you give me...And I will intentionally waste about 30 minutes of your day by making compeletely unrealisitic offers.

But don't be insulted by it. Let us begin.

Your counter-offer, please.

-T

Hey, Wombat. I'll give you $5 for your car.

now lets start the haggling process...I will continue to lowball whatever offer you give me...And I will intentionally waste about 30 minutes of your day by making compeletely unrealisitic offers.

But don't be insulted by it. Let us begin.

Your counter-offer, please.

-T

I would just ignore it. (shrug) Why would someone waste 30 minutes of their day after the first offer showed they were either not serious or would probably never make an offer you would accept?

I still don't get it. Why take it personal? I certainly don't take it personal and get "insulted" when I see something overpriced.

Apples, Oranges.....

Seeing an overpriced book hanging there doesn't have anything to do with you personally.

The context of negotiations, and interaction, with someone attempting to purchase something from you is far different than walking by a booth or thread and seeing a high price.

If a seller comes into a sale and has demonstrated reasonableness from the get go and the person making the offer ignores that, or if the person looks at the context of the sale (charity, illness, death or tragedy) and chooses to make an offer out of the realm of reasonableness (vulture, profiteer, etc), or if the person making the offer interacts with you as a seller and gets to the point of knowing you won't do better but still negotiates so far out of that range that it's, literally, ignorant of everything you've taken the time to explain to him in negotiations, it is hard to ignore that the person has little respect for you or what you tell them. They lack the tact and respect to walk away when you've laid out your final number. They may lack the empathy and humanity to not attempt to profit off of some tragedy or difficulty you are facing and see only an opportunity to "get over" on you at the expense of your problems (it's happened here, more than once).

People can, and do, trample on others to get what they want. The number in the context of the overall interaction is something should not be ignored.

It becomes disrespectful at a certain point, and it's all about context and interaction.

Few days ago an ebay seller had a book listed for $1550. I offered $700. He countered at $800 and I accepted. You don't know if you don't ask.

I guess the caveat and the key variable in this discussion is how the book is priced compared to market initially. If it's a fair price then 50% offers are insulting. If it's starting 3 times too high then 50% is still a great number for the seller.

I think it's is worth around $1000-$1100

I guess the caveat and the key variable in this discussion is how the book is priced compared to market initially. If it's a fair price then 50% offers are insulting. If it's starting 3 times too high then 50% is still a great number for the seller.

I think it's is worth around $1000-$1100

So he was a little high, and you came in a little low, but only about 20% off...that's pretty fair.

-Terry

you can make it a $50 comic by getting some hoagie juice on the cover too

When I first read it, this is what I thought he meant. :shy:

Nothing to get angry at but things happen.

Guy posts $90 or best offer

I offer $70 - declined

I offer $80 - declined

I write "Sooo what's the counter offer?"

Message back - books are hot I'm now raising it $110 and he leaves p#

I offer $90 - auto decline

I wrote I understand but cannot go higher on non NM raw for these. If you change your mind feel free to contact me outside of ebay and perhaps we can do business in the future.

Am I disappointed? Maybe - but life goes on and I do not have nor should there be a grudge.