• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

negotiation skills

133 posts in this topic

As with most things in life, it all depends on the situation. If I'm at a show and by the third day, within a few hours of close, there are still some wall books I'm interested in, I'm not shy at all about asking if the prices are firm, noting that I have cash and would likely pick several books up. This works to my favor more often than not, and the dealers are happy as well.

However, there are exceptions. Sometimes it's best to just accept that you're getting a good deal, and pay the asking price. Like last weekend, one vendor was having a low/mid-grade silver liquidation. These were $20-$50 books he was selling for $2-$10. In that case I just paid what was asked, and kept my mouth shut. The deal was already sweet. No reason to be a about it.

Man, I wish everyone would do this. I suspect that there are a lot of dealers that would sell more books to me if they did this.

Just about everyone has their books priced assuming some discount will be given to get the sale, but everyone has a different idea of what that discount will be. I really don't feel like having to make offers to get an idea of what ballpark their real price actually is in. So I generally only engage on books that are already priced where I am comfortable with them, and ask for the obligatory modest discount simply because it is expected.

I suspect you will improve your sales with this pricing strategy, although re-training people to understand that the price is pretty much the price may be challenging.

This year I am going to take the "best price is on the book already" approach...

I know it buck's the established "negotiating" system that's been in place since comics were bought and sold on the secondary market, but I find it to "make sense"...

I know some folks put "loftier" than necessary prices on their books they sell, maybe hoping to find that one person that "needs" that copy and will pay their price, but my experience is that most all dealers have some built in margin to play with...

I'm going to eliminate that need to "play"....starting at megacon, I will have all my inventory priced at "the price I need" at that moment....hopefully will make shopping with me easier for all...

I believe it is human nature for folks to want to "maximize" their profit... my philosophy is that as long as I get on an elevator and get off on a higher floor, I'm good...I don't have to ride to the top every time... :idea:

I'm even making little signs that communicate this to folks that enter my booth....I'm sure I will still have a ton of "talking" to do, but folks that know me, know that is not a weak skill, so I am prepared :)

This would work if everybody had the same expectation of what "Fair" is to them.

I could price my books to what I would take prices and people would still ask for discounts.

Here is what I would like to get and this is how I price.

I've been doing it since I've opened my business.

15% off raw, 10% off CGC with the exception of keys but I've been known to knock 10% off.

Any more than that requires negotiation.

Yup, I think your strategy is reasonable and pretty effective.

As a previous catrick339 lowball offer taker, there is nothing like having heard nothing but crickets in a sales thread to motivate a seller. :D

I have made a good number of lowball offers here on the Boards, and have made many of them into deals.

BUT! I wait at least a full day after an item is posted, giving the seller a fair shot at selling the item at their asking price.

This seems to work well for me.

If I want it badly enough and the price seems fair I fly the flag, no negotiations

I was setup at a local comic show. A guy offered me $100 for a comic I had priced at $250.00. I said " I can't do that but how about $200?" After some back and forth negotiating I eventually I said I would take $150.00 ( offering it at $100 off is a great deal in my opinion ). He said "let me think about it" and walked away. He returned 5 minutes later and said " I will take it at $150.00....BUT you have to include..." and he proceeded to add a $100.00 worth of extra stuff. I Declined the sale.

He then walked over to my Savage Sword of Conan magazine box that were already priced at 50% value and he offered me $50.00 for all of the magazines ( which totalled over $200 at the 50% off price ) and I said "Why would I do that?" and I took the magazines from his hands and put them back in my box.

I no longer deal with the guy at all as he no longer stops at my table at the local con. No loss.

Let's say I am selling a fixed price item and I have multiples. My price is $10 each and now comes an offer and its $7. My favorite negotiating technique at this point is to say yes, I will do $7 for you, if you buy 3 of them. It shows that I am willing to work with you and sell at your price, but I to have to benefit from the sale too in some way. I end up most often selling 3 for $21

This would work if everybody had the same expectation of what "Fair" is to them.

I could price my books to what I would take prices and people would still ask for discounts.

Here is what I would like to get and this is how I price.

I've been doing it since I've opened my business.

15% off raw, 10% off CGC with the exception of keys but I've been known to knock 10% off.

Any more than that requires negotiation.

that's the trick and the challenge bob...changing the markets perception of pricing...

and you are right, your pricing is straightforward and easy...a 2500 book I buy from you I pretty much know (based on past deals) you will give to me for 2250... that's the way you've trained your clientele... not sure I've ever asked for more...it works well (Thumbs u

but my source of inv is often times from you, and other dealers and auctions and I just don't have margins to even discount 10%...so either I raise my prices t o 20% over cost so I can "discount" 10% down, or I just come out and say "here's the price, no negotiations nec"....

I suspect it won't be well received initially, but if I have a book someone wants, and I've priced fairly to begin with, if they do a little research, I Think it will catch on... at least I hope it does!

And this is the kind of pricing I find challenging. I have to think that pricing a book 66% higher than the price you are actually willing to take reduces the number of people willing to even start a negotiation.

I suspect that there are people willing to pay that much (or more) walking by and thinking it isn't worth trying to negotiate you down that far. Sure, you occassionally might get someone to pay more when they don't talk you down much, but I wonder sometimes if an initial pricing strategy a little closer to your required sales price might ultimately work better.

Note, I know that wasn't the point of the story about the annoying buyer, but I think that it is worth discussing.

I was setup at a local comic show. A guy offered me $100 for a comic I had priced at $250.00. I said " I can't do that but how about $200?" After some back and forth negotiating I eventually I said I would take $150.00 ( offering it at $100 off is a great deal in my opinion ).

And this is the kind of pricing I find challenging. I have to think that pricing a book 66% higher than the price you are actually willing to take reduces the number of people willing to even start a negotiation.

I suspect that there are people willing to pay that much (or more) walking by and thinking it isn't worth trying to negotiate you down that far. Sure, you occassionally might get someone to pay more when they don't talk you down much, but I wonder sometimes if an initial pricing strategy a little closer to your required sales price might ultimately work better.

Note, I know that wasn't the point of the story about the annoying buyer, but I think that it is worth discussing.

I was setup at a local comic show. A guy offered me $100 for a comic I had priced at $250.00. I said " I can't do that but how about $200?" After some back and forth negotiating I eventually I said I would take $150.00 ( offering it at $100 off is a great deal in my opinion ).

For more information the book had a value of 250 based on current market. I was willing to sell the book at a loss. A loss means I am making nothing there is no aggressive mark up at all. Why? For good will and positive word of mouth.

I did not mention what I paid for the book sorry about the missing info. I paid 175 for it 2 years earlier.

Unless I'm spending like under $20 I always negotiate deals. It's part of the fun when buying. I never really lowball, just make reasonable, concrete offers. I am not shy about putting out the first number to get things rolling. For example, a stack of books with a sticker price of $360, I will offer between $260-$300. I tend to go back to dealers who are flexible with their prices. I have developed long-term relationships with many dealers, and I will spend $$$ almost exclusively with them at cons or shops year after year. If there is no wiggle room, then I will put that in my Commodore 64 for future reference. Whether or not a deal can be worked out, just being respectful and friendly can go a long way (I don't like the "auto-decline" approach - it just shows I'm not worth your time).

Nothing to get angry at but things happen.

Guy posts $90 or best offer

I offer $70 - declined

I offer $80 - declined

I write "Sooo what's the counter offer?"

Message back - books are hot I'm now raising it $110 and he leaves p#

I offer $90 - auto decline

I wrote I understand but cannot go higher on non NM raw for these. If you change your mind feel free to contact me outside of ebay and perhaps we can do business in the future.

Am I disappointed? Maybe - but life goes on and I do not have nor should there be a grudge.

Sometimes when I get an offer I look at comparable sales before making a counter offer (or accepting / declining). Several times I have discovered through such research that my asking price was too low. In such cases I decline the offer and raise the asking price to the market value.

Those buyers missed the opportunity to get the books below market value because they got cute and tried to get a further discount. Pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered.

On the buying side of things I try to find a stack of books that I want instead of buying just one book from a dealer. If you are spending more money / taking more inventory sellers will usually be more reasonable about offering a discount than they would over a single low value book.

This year I am going to take the "best price is on the book already" approach...

I know it buck's the established "negotiating" system that's been in place since comics were bought and sold on the secondary market, but I find it to "make sense"...

I know some folks put "loftier" than necessary prices on their books they sell, maybe hoping to find that one person that "needs" that copy and will pay their price, but my experience is that most all dealers have some built in margin to play with...

I'm going to eliminate that need to "play"....starting at megacon, I will have all my inventory priced at "the price I need" at that moment....hopefully will make shopping with me easier for all...

I believe it is human nature for folks to want to "maximize" their profit... my philosophy is that as long as I get on an elevator and get off on a higher floor, I'm good...I don't have to ride to the top every time... :idea:

I'm even making little signs that communicate this to folks that enter my booth....I'm sure I will still have a ton of "talking" to do, but folks that know me, know that is not a weak skill, so I am prepared :)

Thanks for this post. I think it makes a lot of sense and I know I have often sought to get my elevator to the top floor. But this is a better approach; better for sales I bet, better customer service, better ethically, better for my stress level and overall mental health, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. I could go on and on but instead I am off to my sales thread in copper/modern to cut most of the prices in my sales thread!

If people could remain professional and not get huffy about offers they might be better salesmen-why get huffy at someone offering 50%? I've had such offers accepted before. Just remain detached and counteroffer. Hell you might sell some other items too or build up a rapport and have a repeat customer.

Getting huffy has never accomplished anything good-ever.

If a book is fairly priced, 50% is more of an insult than an offer.

If I have a consignment listing I just outright reject offers of 50% or less instead of bothering with a counter offer.

A lot of buyers see a counter offer and seem to think that a seller will split the difference and meet them half way between the asking price and the offer.

I can be flexible on some prices but handing out 25+% discounts like candy is just not possible without seriously overpricing the books to begin with.

Usually if I get a "best offer" that is really low, my counter offer is barely below the listed price. You'll get a better counter offer from me if you are reasonable.

Along the lines of what Bob and G.A.tor were saying, it drives me crazy that there are so many people who seem to be more willing to by a book that is $150 with a 20% discount rather than a $100 book with no discount.

When I first started dealing, My strategy was to offer low prices with no discount but I just got hassled by customers who would walk away if they didn't get discount even though they were being offered a good deal initially. The end result was that I had to put my prices up to a point where I could afford to offer a discount and still make a profit.

If I'm going to an LCS that has a comic I want, I always stop at a sub shop first, and pick-up an Italian hoagie.

I've never met a comic book store owner that could turn down a hoagie. I don't care if he's wiping his mouth with a napkin after just finishing his lunch (which also happened to be an Italian hoagie), when you walk in.

"Hey, just stopped off for a bite and they had buy1 get 1 free. And well, even though I can't eat two subs, I took it. I'd hate to throw it in the trash. It's yours if you want for letting me check out some of the wall stock."

Their mood is now 100% better than before you walked in.

You can quickly turn a $100 comic into a $50 one....um, unless you forget the hots.....if you forget the hots, that $100 comic just became a $115 one.

Seriously though. I used to bribe my mechanic shop by showing up with a pizza and a 6 pack. owner + 3 mechs. Not only would they stop whatever they were doing and check out my problem, but never had to pay for it. A little bit of investment in kindness can not only save you money, but time and bad feelings from trying to dicker.

-Terry

you can make it a $50 comic by getting some hoagie juice on the cover too

:signfunny:

And hoagie is a funny word on its own.Grinder,chuckwagon,torpedo,delicious

Nothing to get angry at but things happen.

Guy posts $90 or best offer

I offer $70 - declined

I offer $80 - declined

I write "Sooo what's the counter offer?"

Message back - books are hot I'm now raising it $110 and he leaves p#

I offer $90 - auto decline

I wrote I understand but cannot go higher on non NM raw for these. If you change your mind feel free to contact me outside of ebay and perhaps we can do business in the future.

Am I disappointed? Maybe - but life goes on and I do not have nor should there be a grudge.

Sometimes when I get an offer I look at comparable sales before making a counter offer (or accepting / declining). Several times I have discovered through such research that my asking price was too low. In such cases I decline the offer and raise the asking price to the market value.

Those buyers missed the opportunity to get the books below market value because they got cute and tried to get a further discount. Pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered.

Seller wrote me and apologized in a way. Wrote him back that nothing occurred that would preclude me from shopping with them in the future. I think I have a decent buying reputation around our community. I honestly do not believe the books were worth the price point in the condition shown. So, I do not think I lowballed, but I also do not fault the seller for trying to max out their product if, from their perspective, they have a solid grade and price point.

To tell the truth. I HATE haggling. When I run a sales thread here, for the most part the price listed is the price I am selling it at, especially when I know that I can raise the price, throw it on eBay and eventually get full ask there after fees.

Along the lines of what Bob and G.A.tor were saying, it drives me crazy that there are so many people who seem to be more willing to by a book that is $150 with a 20% discount rather than a $100 book with no discount.

When I first started dealing, My strategy was to offer low prices with no discount but I just got hassled by customers who would walk away if they didn't get discount even though they were being offered a good deal initially. The end result was that I had to put my prices up to a point where I could afford to offer a discount and still make a profit.

There, everyone's happy.

There, everyone's happy.

Yeah, it works.

Don't know why they weren't happy before though because they would've been paying the same price. (shrug)