• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

negotiation skills

133 posts in this topic

I was at Heroes Con a few years ago and made a $60 offer on a book with an $80 sticker. The dealer looked at the book, looked at me, then looked at the book again, and kind of sighed before saying "okay."

When I got back to the hotel to look over my books, I realized that the sticker price wasn't $80 but $180.

How's that for negotiation?

:blush:

Along the lines of what Bob and G.A.tor were saying, it drives me crazy that there are so many people who seem to be more willing to by a book that is $150 with a 20% discount rather than a $100 book with no discount.

When I first started dealing, My strategy was to offer low prices with no discount but I just got hassled by customers who would walk away if they didn't get discount even though they were being offered a good deal initially. The end result was that I had to put my prices up to a point where I could afford to offer a discount and still make a profit.

There, everyone's happy.

Yeah, it works.

Don't know why they weren't happy before though because they would've been paying the same price. (shrug)

As long as buyers think they are getting a break, even though they're paying $20 more than what your true ask is, they will be happier than not getting any break at all. The fine line is determining a price point that enables you to afford a discount from a price that doesn't scare off a potential buyer.

Nothing to get angry at but things happen.

Guy posts $90 or best offer

I offer $70 - declined

I offer $80 - declined

I write "Sooo what's the counter offer?"

Message back - books are hot I'm now raising it $110 and he leaves p#

I offer $90 - auto decline

I wrote I understand but cannot go higher on non NM raw for these. If you change your mind feel free to contact me outside of ebay and perhaps we can do business in the future.

Am I disappointed? Maybe - but life goes on and I do not have nor should there be a grudge.

Sometimes when I get an offer I look at comparable sales before making a counter offer (or accepting / declining). Several times I have discovered through such research that my asking price was too low. In such cases I decline the offer and raise the asking price to the market value.

Those buyers missed the opportunity to get the books below market value because they got cute and tried to get a further discount. Pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered.

Seller wrote me and apologized in a way. Wrote him back that nothing occurred that would preclude me from shopping with them in the future. I think I have a decent buying reputation around our community. I honestly do not believe the books were worth the price point in the condition shown. So, I do not think I lowballed, but I also do not fault the seller for trying to max out their product if, from their perspective, they have a solid grade and price point.

To tell the truth. I HATE haggling. When I run a sales thread here, for the most part the price listed is the price I am selling it at, especially when I know that I can raise the price, throw it on eBay and eventually get full ask there after fees.

I hate haggling too. I know it's a game to many people but it can just anoying after a while. As a buyer, I would just rather look at the price and if I feel it's fair just pay the man. If it's too high I just walk on. And when someone quotes me a fair price, I usually just buy it and go away happy.

And this is the kind of pricing I find challenging. I have to think that pricing a book 66% higher than the price you are actually willing to take reduces the number of people willing to even start a negotiation.

I suspect that there are people willing to pay that much (or more) walking by and thinking it isn't worth trying to negotiate you down that far. Sure, you occassionally might get someone to pay more when they don't talk you down much, but I wonder sometimes if an initial pricing strategy a little closer to your required sales price might ultimately work better.

Note, I know that wasn't the point of the story about the annoying buyer, but I think that it is worth discussing.

I was setup at a local comic show. A guy offered me $100 for a comic I had priced at $250.00. I said " I can't do that but how about $200?" After some back and forth negotiating I eventually I said I would take $150.00 ( offering it at $100 off is a great deal in my opinion ).

For more information the book had a value of 250 based on current market. I was willing to sell the book at a loss. A loss means I am making nothing there is no aggressive mark up at all. Why? For good will and positive word of mouth.

I did not mention what I paid for the book sorry about the missing info. I paid 175 for it 2 years earlier.

Yep, he was low balling you. He's cheap and there's no price too low that he can't offer less. I had to go all Grizzly Adams and pull you off him.

I was at Heroes Con a few years ago and made a $60 offer on a book with an $80 sticker. The dealer looked at the book, looked at me, then looked at the book again, and kind of sighed before saying "okay."

When I got back to the hotel to look over my books, I realized that the sticker price wasn't $80 but $180.

lol, what's the dealer's name. I like his negotiating style.

This is all well, and fine for books, that are sold regularly, or at least on a somewhat common basis, but how do you price, and negotiate on books that are scarce, or don't have much if any of a selling history? If its the only one you've seen do you by asking price since there's nothing to compare to. I would also think the seller would have the upper hand since they know you can't just go to one of the other dealers and buy the same book.

Comic art is also like this since you're always dealing with one of a kind items especially when considering all the factors that go into prices, not just artist, and comic title, but what is the character doing?Also you have to consider what type of page is it, cover panel splash, can all differ in price, from page to page.

I get atleast a couple a week with the mega low ball (like offer of $50 on $25,000 book, or $3 on $5,000 book).

sometimes they come along with a story (i'm broke and really want to buy this for my deaf, blind, and dumb 3rd cousin on my great granduncle pappies' side.

did ya really need the 9.8 copy (when I have half a dozen various copies up there) in order to "be happy"?......

I love responding to those with "I'm so sorry, I was going to give it you, but it just sold. have a nice day"

You might have just "negotiated" that dealer from ever coming back next time. I know it's his fault but sounds like he might have been having a bad day. I'd rather be a little more fair with dealers so they come back and I have somebody good to shop with...

This is all well, and fine for books, that are sold regularly, or at least on a somewhat common basis, but how do you price, and negotiate on books that are scarce, or don't have much if any of a selling history? If its the only one you've seen do you by asking price since there's nothing to compare to. I would also think the seller would have the upper hand since they know you can't just go to one of the other dealers and buy the same book.

Comic art is also like this since you're always dealing with one of a kind items especially when considering all the factors that go into prices, not just artist, and comic title, but what is the character doing?Also you have to consider what type of page is it, cover panel splash, can all differ in price, from page to page.

This is a good point. For me, I learned early on that first access (or early access) to new collections, rare books or high end books, is more important than the pure price paid.

I will haggle within a very small range if I feel a deal can be struck. If the price is too far off, then I don't make an offer at all. I also don't look a gift horse in the mouth. If I see a book stickered way below value, I just buy it, no questions asked and move on.

I want the dealers (big or small) to know that I'm a buyer with a good amount of money who is willing to spend, and that they want to deal with because it's easy, and who pays (in some cases) aggressively or at a minimum, fairly.

This has served me very, very well in obtaining first (or very early look) from many major national dealers as well as many, many stores across the country.

I know getting the "best deal" is about price for many, but for me, it's about relationships and not being known as a low-baller -- If I give up $250 or $500 on a $10k deal, I'm not going to worry either way, and I don't want the dealer to feel disappointed either or they really had to compromise in order to make the deal.

Sure, I want to do a little negotiating, but there are plenty of guys that as Gaz points out, price fairly to begin with, no need to bargain down further. Most follow the model of building in a discount, which is why I always feel the need to ask now. With that said, I'd much rather have a guy who gives a smaller discount with realistic prices than a guy who prices sky high and gives 50% off.

I hate the offer auto-denial function. Many times I will bid within 10% of their asking prices and it will get auto denied as they wont accept anything other than full price it seems. They are gaming the system under the guise of "make an offer." It is really frustrating.

I also dislike it when someone won't negotiate at all, but says "offers are welcome." I offer 90 day GPA or 10% off GPA high as a starting point versus their price of 30% over GPA and I just get a flat decline. No negotiation, no back and forth, no counter-offer. I expect a little give and take to come to an agreeable price, but they have no intention of accepting anything less than full price (even though they acted otherwise). These disengenous people suck.

Yes that is stupid and futile on those seller's part.

Nothing wrong with your strategy. In fact I wish more buyers did that.

Few days ago an ebay seller had a book listed for $1550. I offered $700. He countered at $800 and I accepted. You don't know if you don't ask.

I guess the caveat and the key variable in this discussion is how the book is priced compared to market initially. If it's a fair price then 50% offers are insulting. If it's starting 3 times too high then 50% is still a great number for the seller.

Yeah that is the crux of the problem in general. Its all in the mind of that buyer. Really when I get the 20-30% of my asking price as an original offer I am quite glad I use the auto decline function. Its not worth the time because your negotiation will not bear fruit 90% of the time.

Some are confusing how they think compared to how the majority of buyers think.

And the next day you went back and gave him some more money, right?

You might have just "negotiated" that dealer from ever coming back next time. I know it's his fault but sounds like he might have been having a bad day. I'd rather be a little more fair with dealers so they come back and I have somebody good to shop with...

I misread the price sticker. My offer for that book was ridiculous, in retrospect. I purchased a number of books from that dealer that weekend so it evened out (a little more) in the end. All is good. :)

If that transaction leads the dealer to not coming back he probably shouldn't have been there is the first place.

I'll take this in a little different direction -- I'd rather be fair with the dealer so that he remembers I'm someone fair to deal with and we can do more business. Again, I really value relationships and finds it bears more fruit in the long run. But maybe I'm just a sucker.

Just get hot cosplay chick to do the negotiating. Bang-problem solved.

What if you don't have a bang-problem? hm

Get one

This is a good point. For me, I learned early on that first access (or early access) to new collections, rare books or high end books, is more important than the pure price paid.

I will haggle within a very small range if I feel a deal can be struck. If the price is too far off, then I don't make an offer at all. I also don't look a gift horse in the mouth. If I see a book stickered way below value, I just buy it, no questions asked and move on.

I want the dealers (big or small) to know that I'm a buyer with a good amount of money who is willing to spend, and that they want to deal with because it's easy, and who pays (in some cases) aggressively or at a minimum, fairly.

This has served me very, very well in obtaining first (or very early look) from many major national dealers as well as many, many stores across the country.

I know getting the "best deal" is about price for many, but for me, it's about relationships and not being known as a low-baller -- If I give up $250 or $500 on a $10k deal, I'm not going to worry either way, and I don't want the dealer to feel disappointed either or they really had to compromise in order to make the deal.

Sure, I want to do a little negotiating, but there are plenty of guys that as Gaz points out, price fairly to begin with, no need to bargain down further. Most follow the model of building in a discount, which is why I always feel the need to ask now. With that said, I'd much rather have a guy who gives a smaller discount with realistic prices than a guy who prices sky high and gives 50% off.

With the respect to the infrequently sold book situation, I've gotten some nice bargains (in the 40% to 45% off range) just by making a lowball. Sometimes dealers have books that have been sitting for dog's years and they just want to free up the cash that's in them when they come across one of the relatively few people actually interested in the book.

Other times, those kinds of offers get a Bronx cheer. :D