• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver age Superman appreciation thread

77 posts in this topic

At his height in popularity during the silver age, Superman was appearing in 7 titles regularly, plus the JLA, that's alot of books! I thought I would start a thread to show some cool covers off, maybe some that some folks have never seen before.

I will start by posting this CGC 6.5 Superman 107 that I just got from eBay. The seller listed it twice, and never sold for minimun bid, so I made him a offer, that he took (hey, never hurts!). A nice mid grade book from a very tough period, with a great Wayne Boring cover.

sup107.jpg

At his height in popularity during the silver age, Superman was appearing in 7 titles regularly, plus the JLA, that's alot of books! I thought I would start a thread to show some cool covers off, maybe some that some folks have never seen before.

I will start by posting this CGC 6.5 Superman 107 that I just got from eBay. The seller listed it twice, and never sold for minimun bid, so I made him a offer, that he took (hey, never hurts!). A nice mid grade book from a very tough period, with a great Wayne Boring cover.

sup107.jpg

Nice Cover..... thumbsup2.gif

RJPG, I don't think you understand. See, when Superman is in his secret identity, he wears glasses. How could Jimmy possibly recognize him? It would take some pretty wild technology that only Luthor and Braniac could possibly develop, to recognize Superman behind those glasses.

Also, he hunched his shoulders and spoke in a goofy voice, so clearly, no one could possibly figure out his secret.

look at that cover... looks like DC had Boring do Superman's face! Remember the controversy when they had Curt Swan redo Supes faces over Kirby's??? Seems it was house policy for years and nothing personal against old Jack after all.

Always liked this cover...

superman173.jpg

i dunno, i kinda always liked this one.......... poke2.gif

1108481418649_superman_003.jpg

and your 173 looks way better than an 8.5 - did they downgrade for the numbers below the comic code seal, since it doesn't appear that it's a real date "stamp"....

Not sure why they downgraded the 173. I'll have to take a look at the back cover when I get home tonight. I haven't called for the grader's notes.

other than the penned numbers, and a couple small of spine stresses, i don't see anything wrong with it. could be BC, interior or something that's not showing up in the scan. looks very sharp all around......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As a Marvel-head, it took me awhile to discover the enjoyment of Supes appearances from the late 50s and early 60s. Under Julie Schwartz' guidance, DC really enriched the Superman mythos during that period.

Here's a simple but sweet cover, from a great story. The mylar makes the URC look much worse than it really is:

Supes141.jpg

I thought all DC silver age covers were boring covers? confused.gifgrin.gifpoke2.gif

I thought all DC silver age covers were boring covers? confused.gifgrin.gifpoke2.gif

foreheadslap.gif

As a Marvel-head, it took me awhile to discover the enjoyment of Supes appearances from the late 50s and early 60s. Under Julie Schwartz' guidance, DC really enriched the Superman mythos during that period.

I'd agree with the sentiment, but that period is solidly pre-Schwartz. Mort Weisinger was steering the ship up until 1970 or so. He's the guy who built up the whole supporting cast mythos: Legion of Super-Heroes, Supergirl, Kandor, Phantom Zone, etc. etc. Mort also gave the 13-year old Jim Shooter his first job in comics.

Julie's first Superman issue was #233 in 1971 or so. That Neal Adams classic cover with Superman breaking loose from the Kryptonite chains. Julie's initial innovations were teaming the great Murphy Anderson as Curt Swan's inker, and hiring writer Denny O'Neil to update the character for the 1970s. Had Denny stayed on the book, the John Byrne mid-1980s reboot might never have been necessary.

I'd agree with the sentiment, but that period is solidly pre-Schwartz. Mort Weisinger was steering the ship up until 1970 or so. He's the guy who built up the whole supporting cast mythos: Legion of Super-Heroes, Supergirl, Kandor, Phantom Zone, etc. etc. Mort also gave the 13-year old Jim Shooter his first job in comics.

Julie's first Superman issue was #233 in 1971 or so. That Neal Adams classic cover with Superman breaking loose from the Kryptonite chains. Julie's initial innovations were teaming the great Murphy Anderson as Curt Swan's inker, and hiring writer Denny O'Neil to update the character for the 1970s. Had Denny stayed on the book, the John Byrne mid-1980s reboot might never have been necessary.

Thanks for the info, Zonk thumbsup2.gif