• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver age Superman appreciation thread

77 posts in this topic

Hey Burntboy-

I have some high grade (9.0-9.4) DCs (Action, Supes) from the same time period that I want to send off to Sarasota....Under which tier did you submit your books? (Economy or Standard?) I am trying to decide which tier I will use.

Numbers...numbers please! insane.gif

Great thread! Some of the later issues in this run are among my all-time favourite comics. I'm afraid my contributions aren't as pretty as the others (those marks on the cover are creases, not scanner artifacts), but if I only bought high grade then I wouldn't own many books.

First up a cover that pre-dates FF1 by 3 years, but uses a very Marvel style word box. If they could only have started the sentence "True Believer", I could imagine it on an early issue of the Avengers.

Without giving the plot away, I doubt anyone ever guessed what Superman's new 'power' was from looking at that cover. I always thought those rainbow beams looked really ugly and it's a shame that they never kept issue by issue sales figures to see what effect a particular cover had on sales.

I have a feeling this was reprinted somewhere, maybe in one of the Annuals?

superman125.jpg

I love the colours on this one, but I picked it because it's a cover that never seems to get reprinted or shown. It also seems to encapsulate exactly what Superman was about at this time.

superman136.jpg

This is an amazing cover. Fandom was hardly a major force in 1961, but DC chose to do a tribute to the Adventure 247 cover, the first appearance of the LSH, from three years earlier. The LSH were big even then, but this cover must have been done for the benefit of a comparatively tiny number of people at the time. Was the issue 147 another nod in the direction of 247 or a complete fluke?

superman147.jpg

Finally, an imaginary story cover. Someone should start a thread on these as imaginary stories were very big at DC at this time. Early 60's Supermans must have had 1 or 2 per year and the title was only published 8 times annually. Not only that, but these stories frequently took up 2 or even 3 of the 8 page story segments, something quite rare in other stories from this period.

Many people consider this to be the best imaginary story ever written and it's definitely a contender.

superman162.jpg

Hey Burntboy-

I have some high grade (9.0-9.4) DCs (Action, Supes) from the same time period that I want to send off to Sarasota....Under which tier did you submit your books? (Economy or Standard?) I am trying to decide which tier I will use.

i decided to "price" them all at full guide for 9.2's and sent them in economy. any 9.4's would certainly be worth more but i'm not sure which, if any, will get that grade.

my past experience with submissions has been that scott talmadge will give me a jingle once the books are graded and ask for more dough on the few that would certainly exceed the upper end of whatever tier i was using.

i've always said - that phonecall is "music to my ears".......... cloud9.gif

keep in mind, you don't get any refunds if you either overgrade a book or if a book turns out to be restored...................

EXCELLENT

MY FAVORITE

sup1497jr.jpg

WEBHEAD

The 149 is THE imaginary story. It is simply the best. It's the "if your only ever going to read one silver age Superman book, this is the one you should read" book. acclaim.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

In the past I've sent them through Standard, and it's frusterating to have a silver age book (that had some unseen minor color touch or unseen crease) come back PLOD or mid grade that I spent $49 grading! Does anyone know if there are different graders for different tiers...I feel like books that could go through standard tend to have a more lenient grade when sent through economy...Maybe I'm just imagining things..

In the past I've sent them through Standard, and it's frusterating to have a silver age book (that had some unseen minor color touch or unseen crease) come back PLOD or mid grade that I spent $49 grading! Does anyone know if there are different graders for different tiers...I feel like books that could go through standard tend to have a more lenient grade when sent through economy...Maybe I'm just imagining things..

don't know if different teams handle different tiers - good question.

not sure i understand the comment about standard tier eligible books getting graded more leniently if submitted economy. (because the economy "team" is easier on average??) confused.gif

ok, a new post for today. I just got this in. 1956, retelling of Superman's origin, and a early silver age Luthor cover:

sm106l.jpg

sm106.jpg

NICE looking book for a 7.5. i guess all the little spine stresses added up, but a beauty nonetheless.......... thumbsup2.gif

"technically" this book pre-dated the SA by a couple of months....... poke2.gif

i have a copy which is very similar to yours. i graded it an 8.0 in the old days, so it's almost certain to be no better than a 7.0............. grin.gif

Great comics so far! For no reason other than personal taste, this is one of my favorites:

664444-adv.jpg

cloud9.gif

Joe

Did you just get that book? Cause I was second highest bidder on a 6.5 about two weeks ago! frustrated.gif

Nice book!

Great comics so far! For no reason other than personal taste, this is one of my favorites:

664444-adv.jpg

cloud9.gif

Joe

Did you just get that book? Cause I was second highest bidder on a 6.5 about two weeks ago! frustrated.gif

Nice book!

and that's a MIGHTY nice looking 6.5............. thumbsup2.gif

Danny, I've had this for about a year and a half. I did post of a picture of it on the forums about a month ago, so you may have been bidding on a fraudulent auction where someone lifted my post. Either that or it's another 6.5. (And let me tell you, it's the nicest 6.5 I've ever owned!)

Joe