• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver age Superman appreciation thread

77 posts in this topic

As a Marvel-head, it took me awhile to discover the enjoyment of Supes appearances from the late 50s and early 60s. Under Julie Schwartz' guidance, DC really enriched the Superman mythos during that period.

Here's a simple but sweet cover, from a great story. The mylar makes the URC look much worse than it really is:

Supes141.jpg

Is this the story where Superman finds himself back on Krypton, falls in love, tries to keep the planet from being distroyed, but fails? If it is, I believe it is a Jerry Siegal story, one of his first back on the title & a classic. Anyone know for sure? I believe I read this in "Men of Tomorrow". Anyone,...anyone,...Bueler,...???893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wow, BB!!! Those are awesome books!!! I just don't seem to come across high grade copies of Superman very often. Does anyone else have thet problem?

Here's one of my favorites...

709416-Superman143.jpg

This cover should get "Classic Cover" statis!

That one's exactly one year older than Showcase #4, but who's counting? takeit.gif

I'll add another cover to the thread. though I am not positive that this is Silver

709773-sm100.jpg

too bad they didnt pick the 4 BEST Superman covers... Arent those just issues 1, 25, 50, and 75?

That one's exactly one year older than Showcase #4, but who's counting? takeit.gif

I'll add another cover to the thread. though I am not positive that this is Silver

709773-sm100.jpg

too bad they didnt pick the 4 BEST Superman covers... Arent those just issues 1, 25, 50, and 75?

Well, that's probably what the No. 1, No. 25, No. 50, and No. 75 on the cover mean... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

Seriously... some nice covers on display here! thumbsup2.gif

here are some more that i had handy. these didn't get to make the trip to Sarasota as they're a notch below what i'm trying to get graded. still probably in the VF range. notice how #164 and #171 were so similar only 7 issues apart......

1107066479869_1109589885334_superman_009.jpg

1107618722914_superman_008.jpg

1105617021534_superman_007.jpg

1108568930026_superman_005.jpg

164 is great, as is 167, and together they turn Luthor into a somewhat-sympathetic character, unusual for DC Silver Age when characters were generally black & white. Somewhat marred by a disappointing resolution in #168 from what I remember.

Someone had a thread last year when Burntboy first posted his great issues that the Superman 161-170 run is probably the best the character saw in all the Silver Age. I'd have to agree. thumbsup2.gif

I remember getting all of them.. and on 164, what I remember thinking was how did old fat Luthor suddenly get so muscular all of a sudden? Woulda been more 'shocking' to see poor weak Supes getting pummelled by FAT out-of-shape Luthor to accentuate how >choke< helpless he had become..... sob

Hmmm....where are the Action Comics 893scratchchin-thumb.gif covers ....

I have always liked this one, it's one of the first ones I bought when I started to collect silver age:

act222.jpg

Braniac covers have always been a favorite of mine:

act280.jpg

This is a major classic cover:

act285.jpg

Here is a cool Superboy cover with a Superman appearance. Note that the book is from 1956, and Superboy stories are set 15-20 years PRIOR to Superman stories... so the Kents had a nice big TV in the late 30's .... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

sb53.jpg