• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver age Superman appreciation thread

77 posts in this topic

Here's another of my favorites: Action #300, Northland copy, CGC 9.2. Took twenty years to find a decent copy of this comic.

720115-action.jpg

Another classic, I thought about posting this one...sweet copy! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Silver Age DC rules!!! cloud9.gif

Joe

Joe, you are so right !

DC's don't get the respect they deserve, they are constantly compared to Marvel's and that's just "Apples to Oranges" !

I started reading DC's as a youngster. I discovered Marvels and grew to like them more, but I will never forget though how completely entertaining the DC stories were. DC's may have been in a world of their own (as opposed to Marvel's approach to huminize the characters), but their world was way cool !

All those Superman Kryptonite stories, different color Suns, Time Travel, Miniture City, Bizzaro's, ect,.......The Atom, Green Lantern & The Flash were also some of my favorite reads.

DC's have a special place in the collecting world !

thumbsup2.gif

I just came across a beautiful Superman collection from a dealer that I buy from regularly. I picked this beauty up from him today (although the scan isn't the best, it's a gorgeous book!!!). He's holding a few more for me. All of them (except this one) are from the "Ohio" collection and are stunning. I'll post those later, but here is one of my favorite Superman covers...

720519-Superman125.jpg

720519-Superman125.jpg.b5b8a44c070efa22313aaa72ed684a1c.jpg

Wow!

I've never seen #125 in high grade before!

Fuelman, I'm glad to find someone who likes this stuff as much as I do. It's the only part of my collection I'm still working on is 50's and early 60's DC.

And, now, how's this for a "bizarre" cover (from April 1960) ???

720233-action263.jpg

Thanks. I've never seen this book in high grade before either. I also "put on hold" issues 128, 129, 130 (all Ohio copies). Others that I'm looking at are 123, 132, 133, 140,142 & 143. The dealer also had some beautiful copies of Action, but I just can't afford all of those and the Superman. I really struggled on wheather to put down some big bucks on Brave & Bold #'s 31 & 32 in highgrade condition. The 31 was at least 8.0 (maybe better) and the 32 was a 9.0. These Cave Carson books are just non-existent in high grade and I've only seen one copy of the #31 in HG (CGC 9.0, which I own!). Anyway, I felt lucky to come across these. I'm going to take out a second mortgage on the house and go see the dealer next weekend!! Wish me luck.

I just came across a beautiful Superman collection from a dealer that I buy from regularly. I picked this beauty up from him today (although the scan isn't the best, it's a gorgeous book!!!). He's holding a few more for me. All of them (except this one) are from the "Ohio" collection and are stunning. I'll post those later, but here is one of my favorite Superman covers...

720519-Superman125.jpg

VERY lovely copy of a ten center thumbsup2.gif. all of mine this old were loved way-too-much!! great find - good luck with the rest of it...... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

i have virtually everything from 101 - 171, but only the last few years are in really nice shape.

Valiantman ran a list for me of early -mid SA DC's with at least 5 submissions but with NO 9.2's. the list is 232 books long!!!!!!!!!

the Supes titles are; #'s 102, 104, 105, 106, 111, 112, 113, 124, 136, 140, 143, 144, 153, 155, 185. this book (#125) isn't on the list because there have only been 3 subs and the highest is a 9.0.............i think this book is right at or near the top of the census........ cloud9.gif

Thanks, BB. Talk about undervalued books!! These early DC's are almost non-existent in HG. I was at a small convention this weekend and bought this and some others. I'm heading down to the dealers store this weekend to pick up some more books. The way I figure it (and please tell me if I'm wrong about this), if you have the chance to pick up one of these books in HG, you'd better do it while you can, because no telling when the opportunity will arise again. I saw lots and lots of Spideys and X-Men this weekend, but very, very few HG silver DCs.

I think we're getting a little Superman/Superboy heavy, even though I love seeing those books. Here's a Batman with a great Catwoman cover.

Batman #84:

Funny that such a thing should happen in a "Silver age Superman appreciation thread," eh Jeff? screwy.gifpoke2.gif

I think we're getting a little Superman/Superboy heavy, even though I love seeing those books. Here's a Batman with a great Catwoman cover.

Batman #84:

Funny that such a thing should happen in a "Silver age Superman appreciation thread," eh Jeff? screwy.gifpoke2.gif

27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gifI figured as much. I was just happy to catch the goof-up before you fixed it. yay.gif

[#@$%!!!]!! At least I eliminated you from the grading contest. poke2.gif

I would rather have been eliminated than give a 9.6 grade to that piece of [#@$%!!!]. poke2.gif