• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ready Player One

148 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2018 at 11:39 AM, comix4fun said:

I like how he handled the characters, for the most part, the changes made them more grounded and important to each other and helped the narrative. 

Some of the changes to the plot, however, didn't seem to be done for purely quality reasons. It was clear he had a group of IP he could use effectively and certain IP he couldn't get his hands on and decisions to change the story were made with those in mind almost exclusively. 

I really enjoyed the movie and it all worked. As a stand alone film, ignoring the book, it was a lot of fun. However, the material changes from the story elements, the challenges especially, from the book didn't seem to be "better" than what was in the book, just different. 

One big opportunity they missed to be faithful, whose absence felt really screen-tested-audience-research-driven, was

Spoiler

Daito not dying. 

I don't disagree that a lot of changes had to be IP driven, and I don't disagree that it is not a bad flick in and of itself.  My takeaway is mixed. 

Just now, Transplant said:

One big opportunity they missed to be faithful, whose absence felt really screen-tested-audience-research-driven, was

Reveal hidden contents

Daito not dying. 

I don't disagree that a lot of changes had to be IP driven, and I don't disagree that it is not a bad flick in and of itself.  My takeaway is mixed. 

Totally agree, that was either test-screen driven or purely Spielberg shying away from it..either way it sucked a lot of gravity from the story. 

Never read the book. Did not understand some of the dark humor, as I never watched horror films like 'Chucky.' Overall, a better immersive 3-D experience than I expected with best 3-D fx to date: even better than Luc Besson's 'Valerian' eye-candy.

Just got back from seeing this toady in 3D, (a MUST for this movie).

Rating it just as a 'stand alone movie' ( as in not having read the book,

I give I a strong 8 out of 10. Now the hard grade, I HAVE read the book,

as such I would give the movie using the book a guide a 6 out of 10.

It is still one of the best movies I have seeing all year and if you were

the least bit interested GO SEE IT. Right from the start you "jump"

right in. It is fast paced, fun, entertaining, and the actors were well

chosen for their roles.

On 31/03/2018 at 8:53 PM, bane said:

This movie is the most fun I’ve had in the cinema in years. I will definitely go back and see this again.

You need to get out more.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, The Brain said:

Just got back from seeing this toady in 3D, (a MUST for this movie).

Rating it just as a 'stand alone movie' ( as in not having read the book,

I give I a strong 8 out of 10. Now the hard grade, I HAVE read the book,

as such I would give the movie using the book a guide a 6 out of 10.

It is still one of the best movies I have seeing all year and if you were

the least bit interested GO SEE IT. Right from the start you "jump"

right in. It is fast paced, fun, entertaining, and the actors were well

chosen for their roles.

I agree they did a good job of explaining the back story in a different way then the book did. Not better just different. I thought the book version
of the introduction was brilliant and grabbed you.

The "IP" is the downfall of this movie and really there is nothing that could be done about it. Its why the book is better. Its not from a lack of effort
they really did do add some great scenes and the changes to the challenges did work well. 

On 3/29/2018 at 6:45 PM, comix4fun said:

Including characters from the 90's, etc. was a little cheap though.

Saw the movie over the weekend, good but not great. I agree they added a lot more "modern" pop culture references than necessary. There were even a couple Overwatch references, that game was released in 2016 I think. 

Although the nod to Terminator 2 is totally acceptable.

Spoiler

When the Iron Giant falls into the lava, he gives a thumbs up just like the ending of Terminator 2.

Edited by Jimbo749

Finally saw it yesterday. I was a bit disappointed with the film. Felt too safe wanted to be too accessible. I’ve never read the book but I’m sure I would like it and plan to read it.

I did like the race scene and enjoyed the shinning part. Outside of that it was ok. The Easter eggs are great but I expect something more than just a who’s who of background character trivia 

Finished the book this afternoon and enjoyed it so much I headed right to the movie.

hated the movie and contemplated walking out halfway through - thought it was poorly cast.  If you are going to have Garth as Halliday at least get Dana Carvey to play him.

Forgot to add my take.  Lifelong Spielberg fan and loved the Cline novel. Very disappointed with the movie.  HUGE let-down. The Shining scene was the only thing I enjoyed about the movie. And the worst part about it is that Spielberg was the only one that could have pulled this off.  Doubtful that it could ever be remade into a faithful version of the novel without his properties.

7 hours ago, Red84 said:

Will the sequel be called, "Select, Player 2"?

Cline says he’s working on a sequel to the first novel and not the movie since there were changes. Next book is called Ready Player Two.