• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Listen up, newbs!

165 posts in this topic

that's funny cause I heard it's guys like you that is wrong with the boards.

who to believe :ohnoez:

I'm a pretty simple guy Janet, I dont like bullies, I dont like nerds with egos, and I dont like people who try to squelch other people's free speech.

1. "Free speech" only applies to governmental restrictions. It does not apply to private property, such as this board.

2. There are no such thing as "bullies" among adults on the internet who have the power to walk away, and recourse if being harassed. It does those who are actual victims of bullying massive harm by watering down the term to apply to anyone who says things you don't like, resulting in those actual victims being ignored and dismissed because everyone is tired of the overuse and misuse of the concept.

"Someone criticized me on the internet!" is NOT an example of "bullying." In one breath, you decry those who "want to take away free speech", and in the very same breath, you threaten people with being labeled "bullies" because you don't like what they say.

Which is it??

Are you not the exact same thing you complain about...?

Please take whatever agenda you have elsewhere.

Thank you.

You big bully, with your logic and your rhetoric and your inside jokes.

Mom notified.

Whose mom...?

hm

Yo' mom.

You better watch out...she's a politician, and knows how to schmooze.

:cloud9:

A person who joined yesterday, is just as important as a person who joined in 02 and 50,000 posts.

This just isn't correct. Sorry. :sorry:

There are people that have devoted hours and days of their lives to this community. Whether it's charity threads or giving back threads or sharing information/knowledge. Whatever it is. They've been here for years.

Someone that just happened upon this place from eBay trying to find a place to squeeze every last bit of profit from their latest Marvel Variant cover isn't "as important". That's such a BS statement.

:shrug:

It is probably somewhere in the middle. Just because someone has been around for years doesn't necessarily make them a valuable member of the community. Lots of posts don't necessarily indicate contribution - they can show arrogance, egoism and neurotic tendencies just as easily as they can share knowledge, be dedicated to giving threads and other meaningful things. People are "good" for the community because of who they are - whether they have been here 10 minutes or 10 years is really irrelevant. Yes it is easier to demonstrate value with time, but we shouldn't judge until behavior is displayed....repeatedly (everyone makes mistakes).

Off-topic though: not saying you do this Swick, but there is definitely a divide many times between the longer-term members and the newer members that stick around (people with less than 2-3 years or so). If you read through a number of the posts, many of the "strong discussions" are consistently between a newer member and what starts with a single long-term member and eventually ends with a gaggle of them. Not sure if this is intentional, but it certainly can be discouraging.