• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 March Madness Comic Grading Tournament - Final Round

83 posts in this topic

Clearly I was WAY too tough on all of these.

Captain Marvel

I really hit it hard for the pencilled letters and the micro tear on the right side, but even moreso for the bend that slightly breaks colour in the bottom left corner, and the very small colour breaking crease in the bottom right corner.

Iron Man

I hammered it for the staining/foxing on the back. Despite how nice the rest of the book was (and I would have pegged it as a 9.4) I didn't think the major staining would let it get more than 7.5.

Mystery Tales

With those major staple pulls, other lengthy tears, and the staining on the back, I thought this was a classic 2.0 or 1.8.

X-Men

A dozen major spine creases, three bad corners, and that awful staining/foxing on the bottom front and back. Maybe 6.5 or 7.0 without the staining, but I hammered it much too hard for the staining.

Congrats to both drewincanada and comicdey for making the FINALS. :applause:

Congrats to THREE-TIME WINNER COMICDEY for winning it all once again. :applause:

Thanks to everyone who participated. May the ball bounce your way next year! :acclaim:

Be sure to tip your Master of Ceremony, BlowUpTheMoon, without whom this tournament would not be possible. (And a nod to NostalgicAttic for starting this tournament in its current format.)

Thanks to NostalgicAttic for letting me run this Tournament.

Thanks to all 128 who signed up to compete. It was fun chatting with all of you via PM.

Thanks to sckao for creating the spreadsheets and brackets. With his help, this was the smoothest March Madness I've been a part of.

Thanks to thehumantorch for organizing the prize thread.

Thanks to Dropbox for storing the raw scans, especially when my laptop (with the scans) died two days before the seeding round.

Thanks to my $2 hpscanjet 7400c for banging out the scans.

Miscellaneous notes:

I recalled a JIM from a round. The grading notes listed interior rust. Along with an odor. :(

The Round of 128 had an ASM 19 and an ASM 129. I had two of each book that I had planned to use, but forgot to scan the second copies of each. I thought a round with two ASM 129s and two ASM 19s would have been fun. :D

I thought the Avengers #4 CGC .5 should have been a 1.0

I would like to thank BlowUpTheMoon and his $2 scanner for putting this tournament together.

If you don't mind me asking, what grade did you expect the ASM #300 to receive, BlowUpTheMoon? That book gave me my one (imaginary because I was eliminated) technical foul of the (no longer in it) tournament.

Great tourney.

It's all about the head to head.

Realistically I think I only won two rounds with the highest score. The first and the last.

No major fouls were made and I was generally consistent enough to pull through.

I grade what I think CGC will grade which isn't always how I personally grade :lol:

Thanks again

Great books. Great banter and competition

I would like to thank BlowUpTheMoon and his $2 scanner for putting this tournament together.

If you don't mind me asking, what grade did you expect the ASM #300 to receive, BlowUpTheMoon? That book gave me my one (imaginary because I was eliminated) technical foul of the (no longer in it) tournament.

I had that book at 7.0 because of the moisture damage on the bottom center of the front cover. I spent $2 for it at a garage sale so I was OK with getting it graded.

An absolute blast... despite the embarrassing finish. :facepalm:lol

It was good to be back.

Thanks to BlowUpTheMoon, sckao and thehumantorch!!

Hardly an embarrassing finish. It's not an accident that you made it to the final round. Congrats on making it to the final round and outlasting all but one.