• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom Reilly Collection Master List

250 posts in this topic

Mitchell Mehdy here

, Hi, guys my first memory of this collection was at the comic con when those two guys nick and whoever were showing all the dealers a big stack of timelys, also at the con was superman 1-50 from another dealer for about 1200 bucks, it was a great comic con as I bought action 4 from terry stroud for 150 bucks. At that time in 1972 I think or early 73 condition was not that imporatant with mint being double the good price or there abouts, it was all about finding the book. The TR comics were pretty to look at. I think bob you made the exception with me on the Reily books as I remember getting buying 5 or so mid range actions at a time, I probably bought at least 20 or more as well as mystic 3 and 4 and few other books.

I knew the collection was important so I bought trade material from garys as SF comic book company ec collection that we had managed to get and theo gave me more than your trade offer. Both collections were pretty to look at.

At the time in 1973 I knew that Action 1 and Superman 1 were underpriced and up and coming and thats why I paid 3 times guide at the time for the book, and predicted that the book would hit 10K in the future. This was a real deal but for 1800 bucks(and I would paid more) but I said to my self if I add the 1.26 more it would give it more crediability to the sale. It did and I was able to acquire 3 additional copies down the line as a result of the purchase.

I am talk to theo everyday and have done many trades and purchases since that time. At no time that I can recall did ever have more than 2 action 1's, I think he had two when he bought the Larry Bigman copy of action 1. He still to this day has one of the greatest collections alive and is a true visionary in the field. We both saw the future of which has later become "pop culture" and bought everything we could knowing this. Theo paying more attention to condition than I the stores I could tell you about collection finding.

Now that it has become mainstream, I recently saw a newspaper ad buying gold coins and jewerly and a picture of action 1 saying buying comic books, people ask were is this going in the future.

You know we have been right all along and when I tell you that high condition books are the way to go and CGC graded only. It is only a matter of time that museum or tax free foundations will start acquiring top grade copies of books at muiltiple guide prices or no reguard for market prices. PRICES ARE CHEAP still.

The rule now that the secret is out go after the best of the best. The Andy Warhol stuff has hit 30 million or more on good pieces(the record is 80 mill) and action 1 blows that away, and the best condition copy of the book that started it all....10 million is a bargain.....No doubt with my lifetime it will hit ten million and I mean a top graded copy like the mile high which Bob Overstreet told me himself would grade it a 9.0 since he had it in his hands. What people dont know is that there is ever a higher undgraded copy in existence, I dont own that one, but I do know who does and I have seen it with my own eyes.

Where does that leave all of us for the future, I think more than ever you need to be very careful on your choices. I the TR collection, Mile HIgh are no brainers and will provide security down the road every if you overpay by todays standards. Even for something other than the top three. I would much rather own one TR copy of Action 59 than 10 lesser graded copies which would retail for a higher value. In the long run the quality copy will blow them all away out of the water. There are opportunites now to acquire the best of the best condition copies for early issues of action, captian america etc....this is the stuff that down the line will bring 5 and 10 times the price you pay today. Quality........

Action 1 and SUPERMAN 1 are head shoulders above anything else. Mt third most valuable book is Detective 27.....why superman 1 over dect 27.....it is much harder to find superman 1 in top condition...very rare...thats my opinion, its great book that was read by the persons who bought it. You can go wrong with any of the three and with FF one selling for 300k this week at 9.4....you would be safer to go for the gold in the long run.

You see folks, you must understand this concept: YOU CAN NEVER OVERPAY FOR A MASTERPIECE....and even if you do at the time....the value will always catch up.... Quality first Like....Action 1, Superman 1...any TR books........masterpieces good luck, chose well....go for it

Love reading the collecting history :applause: Welcome to the boards, Mitchell.

Mitchell Mehdy here

, Hi, guys my first memory of this collection was at the comic con when those two guys nick and whoever were showing all the dealers a big stack of timelys, also at the con was superman 1-50 from another dealer for about 1200 bucks, it was a great comic con as I bought action 4 from terry stroud for 150 bucks. At that time in 1972 I think or early 73 condition was not that imporatant with mint being double the good price or there abouts, it was all about finding the book. The TR comics were pretty to look at. I think bob you made the exception with me on the Reily books as I remember getting buying 5 or so mid range actions at a time, I probably bought at least 20 or more as well as mystic 3 and 4 and few other books.

edited to add -- Theo Holstein still has a great collection, then? That's fantastic. It's cool to hear about people staying in the field for the long haul.

It'd be fascinating to hear more about stuff that you both have seen, and that first Action 1 you bought for $1800 -- which had previously been the first copy of any comic to break the $1000 barrier I think? What history!

It is only a matter of time that museum or tax free foundations will start acquiring top grade copies of books at muiltiple guide prices or no regard for market prices.

Interesting thoughts, Mitchell. I've considered this as well, particularly as we get closer and closer to 100 years of comics (it's only 19 years to the 2030s). Rare and scarce pop culture items will be increasingly used in Museum exhibits. And, of course, highest graded will be the front runners for such positions...

I have to make a lot more money in the next ten years or certain collecting goals will evaporate on me. Wish I had been buying books in 1972 but I was only a few months old and lacked the discretionary spending capability to really invest. :cry:

It not to late at all, there are great deals everywhere...and the guys that come in 10 years are going say the same thing for you.......ALSO SEE MY POST WHAT GOLDEN AGE COMICS NOT TO BUY