• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COLLECTOR MATT STOCK!! PLEASE PAY YOUR 5 YEAR DEBT!!!

151 posts in this topic

These are extremely serious allegations.

Does anyone on this thread know this guy? If so, you should draw his attention to this ASAP. I think that it behooves him to get on this thread immediately and explain his side of the story.

I'm glad that the community is small and forces people to keep their name and reputation in good standing.

Yes. But does it? Matthew's got the usual interesting fare up on eBay right now, are those bids being withdrawn to put pressure on him to make Mike whole? I hope so! My experience is many (but no, not all) collectors put art before ethics, it's sad, but it has been my experience.

Oh don't get me wrong, I've called you out on being overly vocal, but I actually think you also have a point.

It's just labouring said point negates it's impact somewhat.

Yeah everything being equal the guy should cough up.

But to say the seller was wrong to give the art before total payment was completed just isn't how a lot of deals go about. I've myself purchased a piece of art that was £3,500, which is around the same figure and the seller gave it to me with only a single £500 payment down.

Did he do it to ensure the deal went through? Possibly, but it's equally possible he did it as he knew I wanted the piece and would pay up in full.

The take home from this could be... treat your friends as strangers when it comes to business and treat strangers like friends, in that always be professional, polite and with customer service personality, so that includes price negotiations, but when it comes to payments and the exchange of merchandise, use escrow systems for layaways and as a seller, never surrender the merchandise 'til final payment is made and as a buyer, always get in writing the agreed upon price and receipts for all payments made, so there's less opportunity for dispute.

The thing is. The selling practices are irrelevant. Someone agreed to terms and hasn't paid. Period full stop.

The selling practices ARE relevant. I`m not saying that Romitaman doesn`t have legally enforceable rights against this Matt fellow, or that he shouldn`t do whatever he needs to in order to collect payment, including publicly shaming him here (although I do wonder why he doesn`t just pursue it in small claims court, which doesn`t cost legal fees).

I just think he was foolish for putting himself in this situation in the first place. He was essentially making an unsecured loan. Credit card issuers and payday lenders make unsecured loans too, but they charge high interest rates to compensate themselves for the risk they`re taking.

The take home from this could be... treat your friends as strangers when it comes to business and treat strangers like friends, in that always be professional, polite and with customer service personality, so that includes price negotiations, but when it comes to payments and the exchange of merchandise, use escrow systems for layaways and as a seller, never surrender the merchandise 'til final payment is made and as a buyer, always get in writing the agreed upon price and receipts for all payments made, so there's less opportunity for dispute.

Exactly.

The thing is. The selling practices are irrelevant. Someone agreed to terms and hasn't paid. Period full stop.

The selling practices ARE relevant. I`m not saying that Romitaman doesn`t have legally enforceable rights against this Matt fellow, or that he shouldn`t do whatever he needs to in order to collect payment, including publicly shaming him here (although I do wonder why he doesn`t just pursue it in small claims court, which doesn`t cost legal fees).

I just think he was foolish for putting himself in this situation in the first place. He was essentially making an unsecured loan. Credit card issuers and payday lenders make unsecured loans too, but they charge high interest rates to compensate themselves for the risk they`re taking.

If mike and Matt lived in the same county in the same state, which they don't , then small claims doesn't cost any legal fees.

Exactly.

If you ask me the take away is that its a small community, pay your debts. Not sure why you want to blame the seller Tim (shrug)

Exactly.

If you ask me the take away is that its a small community, pay your debts. Not sure why you want to blame the seller Tim (shrug)

Not blaming the seller so much as using this deal as an example to highlight the risks of such a bad deal structure to all the other sellers here (or people who might someday sell).

I honestly can`t even understand why a seller would allow such a situation to arise. As a seller, I would never offer such terms to anyone, even a longstanding customer. If the buyer asked me for such terms (and people have), I would say "Sorry, no."

If the buyer INSISTED on such terms, my Spidey-sense would be going full blast and I would absolutely not agree to such a deal.

Just think about it--if you allow such terms, there are only 2 possible outcomes, and one of them is bad. I don`t like taking 50/50 risks unless I`m compensated adequately for such risks, and even then I don`t like it.

If mike and Matt lived in the same county in the same state, which they don't , then small claims doesn't cost any legal fees.

Okay, you`ve convinced me Chris. Even more reason why Mike should never have given Matt the art before he got full payment.