• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAGE COUNTING 101!

40 posts in this topic

When it comes to raws I have had a current problem that has been popping up more than I would like and could be avoided if the seller would only "page count"...

This is a simple process that everyone should take part of regardless if you are a buyer or a seller. For most of the late GA to current moderns there are 8 pages from the splash page to the centerfold of the comic and then you inspect the staples and any wear and again 8 pages to the end of the book. If it is a larger GA format just look up the book in GCD and find out the spreads (4 pages on each spread, 2 pages on a flipped page to count to the center of the book). THIS PRACTICE UNCOVERS SO, SO MUCH!

Got a clipped coupon? It comes up the in the page count...

Got a clipped MVS? It comes up the in the page count...

Got a loose centerfold? It comes up the in the page count...

Got rusty staples? It comes up the in the page count...

Got PQ issues - Cream, Tan, Brown, Brittle? It comes up the in the page count...

Got missing pages? It comes up the in the page count...

Got bizarre internal stains, rips or water stains? It comes up the in the page count...

So stop being a rookie! Take the tape off the bag and slap it on the back of your hand (this in and of itself with give you massive props) and Page count that sucka until you make yer momma is proud baby cakes!

To me if a book is over $100 in possible value there is no excuse not to page count.

It saves so much headache!

I had some issue a while back when I sold a couple of issue based off memory, never again.. Now I look through all books if I am going to sell cover to cover.

I can say I have found a lot of books I have brought from dealers/stores locally that have issues( missing coupons. dog earned pages, bad back covers). I know for a fact quite a few never look at anything but the covers and never take the book out to inspect it.

Yeah I can remember back in the early 1980s, I was at the San Diego Comic-Con and I was looking for an FF 48. It was around $25 in the guide at the time. I found one in a dealers box. He had written on the bag in large words "Near Mint $30". I looked at it through the bag and it looked pretty good to me, so I bought it. After the con was over, I sat down to go through the comics I purchased. I took the FF 48 out of the bag and flipped through it to discover the centerfold was missing. From that day on, I never bought another back issue without doing a page count.

When it comes to raws I have had a current problem that has been popping up more than I would like and could be avoided if the seller would only "page count"...

This is a simple process that everyone should take part of regardless if you are a buyer or a seller. For most of the late GA to current moderns there are 8 pages from the splash page to the centerfold of the comic and then you inspect the staples and any wear and again 8 pages to the end of the book. If it is a larger GA format just look up the book in GCD and find out the spreads (4 pages on each spread, 2 pages on a flipped page to count to the center of the book). THIS PRACTICE UNCOVERS SO, SO MUCH!

Got PQ issues - Cream, Tan, Brown, Brittle? It comes up the in the page count...

Got bizarre internal stains, rips or water stains? It comes up the in the page count...

So stop being a rookie! Take the tape off the bag and slap it on the back of your hand (this in and of itself with give you massive props) and Page count that sucka until you make yer momma is proud baby cakes!

To me if a book is over $100 in possible value there is no excuse not to page count.

First thing I do whenever I get a package, count the pages of each book. Same thing at a show, I do a count before a purchase. You'd be surprised how many big-time dealers have books with missing pages they weren't aware of.

First thing I do whenever I get a package, count the pages of each book. Same thing at a show, I do a count before a purchase. You'd be surprised how many big-time dealers have books with missing pages they weren't aware of.

That's for sure......I've had to return two raw SA Marvels in the past year because one had a missing ad page, and another had a ad cut out.

First thing I do when the books get picked up is a page count. I do understand that these things happen to big companies that have a lot of product coming in and out though. But it is an inconvenience, no doubt.

I just sold a reader lot on eBay and am not sure what to do. All the books are kind of ragged out and for that reason, I gave them the TRUE READER label and a very low price (shipping almost double the price of the 4 books). Now this isn't some high dollar transaction, but while packaging the books, I skimmed through one and found out that there were 4 tiny ads torn out -- and they impacted the story. I am basically breaking even (80 cents profit?) doing the transaction at all-- was simply trying to sell off some doubles that were in bad shape to someone who just wanted to read some books.

I feel kind of bad about the interior pieces missing but instead of sending a message to the buyer (who has a 6 feedback), I am going to see what they do once they get the books. But this thread and this recent experience has opened my eyes to making sure I don't repeat this mistake in the future-- be they reader books or excellent copies. The good news is that even if the guy goes nuts about the one book being not as described, I can refund them the entire amount and not be out much money anyway. Maybe it is reverse karma (not intentional) -- as I recently bought some that had a similar issue-- though those were not sold as readers.

There's a helluva difference between something being ragged out and a reader as compared to having things cut out.

You knew it and still sent them anyways?

That stinks.

I did not ship them yet.

in fact, I gave it some thought and decided to write the buyer and give them the options:

I am writing to you as I have found something about my offer that was not known by me when I wrote it up. While I was packing your shipment, I noticed that the issue of Kull 24 has several pieces torn out inside that was not disclosed. Not because I was hiding the fact-- simply because I did not notice the problem until now. The parts that are taken out also impact some of the story line and dialogue. While they are not huge pieces-- they do make the book incomplete. I believe they impact 3 different pages. This particular book was not mine originally as I would not have done this to my own comic. I do not have a replacement to offer for this specific book.

I am writing and telling you about this in case it is a deal breaker for you. The last thing I want to do is send you a book that is not properly described. However you want to proceed is fine with me-- a full refund or I can just send the items as is or you can suggest another alternative.

Sorry for the mistake.

FYI ... This is a very tiny sale (4 books for $1.59 total).

In the past few years, way too many of my GA ebay buys have been plagued with the problem of missing centerfolds. Really every book sold should be checked, but it is especially annoying when spending $100+ on a book for it to arrive with obvious pages missing.

Even without counting pages, a flip to the center will usually make missing pages obvious due to different stories/art styles on the facing pages (page 3 of one story on the left, and page 2 of a different story on the right).

Thanks to ebay buyer protection I've always been able to get a refund (despite some sellers being jerks and a few even accusing me of lying). But when I'm filing the 3rd "item not in condition described" refund request in a month with the same complaint (missing pages), I have wondered if ebay would wrongly suspect that I'm a scammer since I keep filing complaints with "the same problem".

Try collecting Katy Keene :facepalm: Even the "big" on-line shop had missing pages. At least they returned the book but it is scary as even ebay seller could deny it. While you can find great deals on ebay it is really a gamble. I had to settle on a CGC book for one book as the other two ones I got had missing pages.

Personally, the only dealer I know that marked all his books was Terry comics. They always denoted missing pages or clipped coupons, etc. on the back of the boards. I usually pick those up because they are cheap.

Also If you get a book that is missing pages find another copy that has the duplicate page count and age.

Put one in one hand and the missing page copy in the other.

You usually can tell a significant difference in weight of the copies.

Keep that weight difference locked in your brain.

You'll be surprised that once page counting becomes a practice and you train yourself on the weight that you can tell a book is missing something before you even page count it (because it feels lighter).

(thumbs u