• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Ellis- Stormwatch/The Authority

175 posts in this topic

Plus as SeanFingh noted, Stormwatch (Vol 1) 37-50 & Stormwatch (vol 2) 1-12 and the Wildcats/Aliens crossover (seriously, it's SUPER important for the evolution of Stormwatch into the Authority)

Yeah, these books are where they put together the blueprint for what will be in The Authority (Stormwatch 37 intros Jenny Sparks and Jack Hawksmoor) Plus, Rose Tattoo! Plus... it's awesome to see Ellis mold the title to his will. He starts with one thing (Stormwatch as it had been) and ends up with something very different (eventually, The Authority) The journey is just phenomenal. The Authority is a more polished vision of what he wanted to say about superheros, but the Stormwatch stuff is mad science.

Rose Tattoo :o and :cloud9:

Yeah, what a character.

What's interesting... Many of the books in that sub are the only copies in the census.

What sucks? Most of those books were from a "1-29 MINT" run I bought on ebay that CLEARLY had never been read and bagged when bought. If the guy had packed them better, I would have had another 5-10 9.8s/9.6s.

What's interesting... Many of the books in that sub are the only copies in the census.

What sucks? Most of those books were from a "1-29 MINT" run I bought on ebay that CLEARLY had never been read and bagged when bought. If the guy had packed them better, I would have had another 5-10 9.8s/9.6s.

I can't believe there aren't more of them out there.

It was too early for people to make Registry sets, but it seems like people would go back and build them.

I can't believe there aren't more of them out there.

It was too early for people to make Registry sets, but it seems like people would go back and build them.

Yeah, most books are pretty thinly graded.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/title/:authority:/label/all/variants/yes/census/150414/censusprior/150414/

I just ordered full runs of both (and I'm currently working my way through Planetary a second time). Ellis was at the top of his game at the time, and these three titles along with Transmetropolitan are all among my absolute favorite series.

I just want to say that this is one of my favorite threads in a long time. I get as caught up in the spec game as anyone, but it is great to have a thread to talk about story and characters that really mattered at the time they were being produced, and still resonate today.

By the way....if you all enjoyed Ellis' work on Stormwatch, I might suggest Doom #2099, starting with issue #24, co-written with John Francis Moore, and continuing until #39. It's really quite good. There are actually quite a few hidden gems in the 2099 line.

Also, pick up Ruins #1 and #2, also excellent, an alternative vision of Ross' Marvels.

I just ordered full runs of both (and I'm currently working my way through Planetary a second time). Ellis was at the top of his game at the time, and these three titles along with Transmetropolitan are all among my absolute favorite series.

I've never read Transmetropolitan... Looks like I need to put it on my list.

I'm currently on The Authority vol 2 after reading Planetary, all of his Stormwatch, and The Authority vol 1.

They are all just so so good... Planetary has been my favorite though. I was sad when there was nothing left to read, lol .

I've never read Transmetropolitan... Looks like I need to put it on my list.

I'm currently on The Authority vol 2 after reading Planetary, all of his Stormwatch, and The Authority vol 1.

They are all just so so good... Planetary has been my favorite though. I was sad when there was nothing left to read, lol .

Transmetropolitan is ridiculously good.

Transmet is wonderful. Hunter S Thompson circa Fear & Loathing, in the future, running around with a bowel disruptor gun. Pretty much a journalist's fever dream fantasy. And oh so very very funny.

I just want to say that this is one of my favorite threads in a long time. I get as caught up in the spec game as anyone, but it is great to have a thread to talk about story and characters that really mattered at the time they were being produced, and still resonate today.

Truth. These books shaped the 21st century superhero genre from the Big 2. When Marvel was dying in the early 00's & needed a creative infusion, they found Bendis doing crime comics at Image & they saw what the Wildstorm creators were doing over there & grabbed up as many of them as they could. Millar, Ellis, Quitely, Hitch, Raney, Brubaker, Philips, Casey and others. Every time they had a formerly-middling title that needed a launch team, a Wildstorm creator was on it. 3 of the 4 tentpole Ultimate titles were Ellis or Millar with Hitch involved. X-books need a revamp? Quitely & Casey each on one of the titles. Want to make Captain America into a top-20 book? Brubaker.

And Ellis was the granddaddy of them all by starting that swing with Wildstorm changing from (sometimes) pretty looking books with junk writing into a book that pushed the envelope & redefined superhero comics for the 21st century.