• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Ellis- Stormwatch/The Authority

175 posts in this topic

Rob, good plan. I hate to be a copycat, but I think I'll match your standing bounty offer of $200 for a 9.8 #37 (with you getting the first crack at the first one available)

Though I guess this post should just go in a WTB thread.

The bummer is that there was no #37 in the run I just bought which produced the above books and a few others that are on the way to CGC next week.

37 is going to be a harder book to source. The interest in Midnighter (an active character) might turn the tide for it, but I think v2 #4 is an easier book. The stock on the 37 seems very picky. The #4, even with the black cover, seems more forgiving.

Yep, I think the #4 may be THE Stormwatch/The Authority book to own. 2c
it is !

$52.50 for a raw copy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301853200201

I bought a big lot of Stormwatch the other day. No #4 but almost everything else was in there. Stormwatch, The Authority, and Planetary fill box after box in my house. My wife thinks its a sickness. lol

There was a time when there were lots of Stormwatch variants. Anybody know which issues had them and if they were printed in equal ratios ? I can't remember...a lot of things. :grin:

Yep, I think the #4 may be THE Stormwatch/The Authority book to own. 2c
it is !

$52.50 for a raw copy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301853200201

I bought a big lot of Stormwatch the other day. No #4 but almost everything else was in there. Stormwatch, The Authority, and Planetary fill box after box in my house. My wife thinks its a sickness. lol

There was a time when there were lots of Stormwatch variants. Anybody know which issues had them and if they were printed in equal ratios ? I can't remember...a lot of things. :grin:

Of the ones I'm collecting there are just three issues with variants- 44 ("watchmen" cover and a Gil Kane cover) V2 #1 (Travis Charest cover) and #5 (Midnighter and Apollo)

Stormwatch 44 had 3 covers.

Stormwatch 1 had 2 covers.

Stormwatch 5 had 2 covers.

Wildcats Aliens 1 had 2 covers. Wildcats Aliens was part 2 of an arc that went in between Stormwatch 10 and 11.

That's all I know of. Don't know print run or ratio #'s.

AFTER GRADING 6-7 COPIES AND BUYING ANOTHER 20 RAW COPIES I I FINALLY GOT IT

Latest Sub:

Authority 9 1/00 D.C./Wildstorm Modern 9.8 WHITE Bryan Hitch & Paul Neary cover & art

Authority 23 8/01 D.C./Wildstorm Modern 9.8 WHITE Dustin Nguyen art

Stormwatch 37 7/96 Image Comics Modern 9.8 WHITE Tom Raney & Randy Elliott art

Stormwatch 43 12/96 Image Comics Modern 9.6 WHITE Tom Raney cover & art

I've got another copy that's got 9.6/9.8 potential so I might be able to help someone else out in a month or two.

I also completed the Authority volume 1 run, although I'd like to upgrade 3 of those.

Edited by rob_react

Latest Sub:

Authority 9 1/00 D.C./Wildstorm Modern 9.8 WHITE Bryan Hitch & Paul Neary cover & art

I've got another copy that's got 9.6/9.8 potential so I might be able to help someone else out in a month or two.

I also completed the Authority volume 1 run, although I'd like to upgrade 3 of those.

Very well done Sir!

Congrats - after running WTB ads and looking for years - that's one hell of an achievement.

I'm amazed this book isn't selling for waay more - it's as hard to find in 9.8 as it gets.

Again, congrats, that's quite an achievement (thumbs u

Latest Sub:

Congrats. Very few will know how tough that book is. The bottom line is that, if they were in a collection, they were read. And they are tough to find unread in the wild!

Latest Sub:

Very well done Sir!

Congrats - after running WTB ads and looking for years - that's one hell of an achievement.

I'm amazed this book isn't selling for waay more - it's as hard to find in 9.8 as it gets.

Again, congrats, that's quite an achievement (thumbs u

I can say with certainty it's a tough book. This one wasn't even a slam dunk. I thought it could make it, but it was by no means a gimme. I've yet to see an "easy" 9.8 of the book. For whatever reason many otherwise perfect copies have a single spine stress (color breaking or not) in the middle of the book.

Latest Sub:

Congrats. Very few will know how tough that book is. The bottom line is that, if they were in a collection, they were read. And they are tough to find unread in the wild!

Yeah, even read carefully they show damage. I think it's just a picky book (see my comment about the spate of spine stress on well cared for copies) because of the fact that it was read by people and the slightly cheap cover stock caused problems. Volume 2 is much easier because the cover stock is more sturdy.

Rob: If you get another one & nobody else has already hit you up for it, I'll absolutely take it off your hands!

(thumbs u

It'll be a while, as the sub hasn't even gone out yet, but if I get another one you've got first dibs.

stormwatch-37-634x1024.jpg

:applause:

I'm surprised more people haven't collected the 'trinity' (IMHO) of Ellis works.

For me Planetary, Transmetropolitan and Stormwatch are 3 'must haves'.

Planetary - easy to find 9.8, and at less than $100 for a slab on ebay, cheap as chips. 43 x 9.8 and a solitary 9.9

Transmet - much harder, probably because so well read! I hit 2 out of 3 9.8's, but was lucky as I found a great seller on ebay who had a couple. Prices fluctuate but is a consistent $300 book. Its important to note that Helix produced the 1st print. Only 18 9.8's on census.

I'm amazed this book isn't more sought after (and no, I don't have one for sale!)

Now Stormwatch #37 by Image. 2 yes TWO 9.8's. That's it.

That's why this slab is so praised. You just can't find a raw that people want to part with. IMHO, it's a $500 book, and god forbid this title ever hits a bit of media heat...look out Walking Dead #1.

So congrats again - only 2 on the census!

Couldn't agree more on Transmetropolitan - it's a great, significant book.

I was relieved to finally get a hold of a slabbed copy last year after an annoyingly difficult search. When I set out to acquire one more than a year prior, I didn't realize it'd be so tough to find a 9.8 raw candidate, let alone an already slabbed copy.

Of course, as I type this there's a universal on the bay, but that's often the way of things. And not to pat myself on the back too much, but it's more than I paid for my signature series / sketch copy. I got lucky with that auction.