• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Ellis- Stormwatch/The Authority

175 posts in this topic

stormwatch-37-634x1024.jpg

:applause:

I'm surprised more people haven't collected the 'trinity' (IMHO) of Ellis works.

For me Planetary, Transmetropolitan and Stormwatch are 3 'must haves'.

Planetary - easy to find 9.8, and at less than $100 for a slab on ebay, cheap as chips. 43 x 9.8 and a solitary 9.9

Transmet - much harder, probably because so well read! I hit 2 out of 3 9.8's, but was lucky as I found a great seller on ebay who had a couple. Prices fluctuate but is a consistent $300 book. Its important to note that Helix produced the 1st print. Only 18 9.8's on census.

I'm amazed this book isn't more sought after (and no, I don't have one for sale!)

Now Stormwatch #37 by Image. 2 yes TWO 9.8's. That's it.

That's why this slab is so praised. You just can't find a raw that people want to part with. IMHO, it's a $500 book, and god forbid this title ever hits a bit of media heat...look out Walking Dead #1.

So congrats again - only 2 on the census!

I've got two of the all 3. I've owned all three (previously) , but sold a Transmet #1 9.8 many years ago. I've been thinking about looking for it again. I think you just sealed the deal on that (time to go update my WTB thread time to go buy one on My Comic Shop)

Planetary #1 is really easy compared to the other two, Still, a great book.

Edited by rob_react

(That was easy.)

I'm glad someone else had an easier time! It's a bit odd how some books, people don't even bother to put them out there, or they're hoarding them but there's no strong demand? I don't know. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not.

There haven't been many sales, so I clearly got lucky getting it on the first try. I remember buying it the first time and it was a bear, so I guess it all evens out.

I picked up the planetary omnibus and loved it and got the authority TPB Ellis. What is the right reading order for the run, starting with Ellis's work. Stormwatch first? Then where do I end? Thanks.

Stormwatch before Authority. Read Ellis Stormwatch, including all of Vol 2, and don't forget WildC.A.T.s/Aliens. which Ellis wrote and involves Stormwatch, then go to Authority.

So stormwatch vol 1 Ellis #37 until 50? Then Stormwatch vol 2, how many issues? Then planetary followed by authority? Right order?

Planetary and Authority are not linked.

Reading order:

Stormwatch - vol 1 37 - 50

Stormwatch - vol 2 1 - 11

WildCATS / Aliens - one shot (if memory serves me right this should be read between Stormwatch vol 2 10 and 11)

Then Authority

and ENJOY

Edited by Waylander

Well that's not entirely true. There is the Planetary/The Authority: Ruling the World crossover., which you have read if you have the Planetary Omnibus, as it's included in there too.

Well that's not entirely true. There is the Planetary/The Authority: Ruling the World crossover., which you have read if you have the Planetary Omnibus, as it's included in there too.

:foryou:

I knew I would forget something

They're also linked in a more subtle way as Jenny Sparks and Elijah Snow (and many of the other heavy hitters in Planetary) are Century babies.

The Jenny Sparks mini was written by Mark Millar, I believe. That automatically makes it at least a step below the Ellis stuff. While I liked Millar's Authority, it wasn't quite as good as Ellis run.

I enjoyed the Sparks mini, and I enjoyed Millars Ultimates send-up tremendously. I remember a few issues thereafter, and then I think it went on a multi-year hiatus. I may not have even read the last several issues. :blush:

...and somebody somewhere lost a heck of a book cheap.... :sorry:

I've worked almost constantly for the last week and a half - been so busy I simply forgot to bid on it :lol:

It went to someone that'll definitely appreciate it so I don't feel too bad about it. Hopefully the seller doesn't feel too bad either.