• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck explains his Mile High pricing

906 posts in this topic

Why do people assume that any remarks made about Chuck imply he is hated?

I wouldn't say "any", but when the response seems disproportionate to the action or statement, it doesn't seem that far off.

I have seen the video but I still need to finish reading all the posts here. His reasoning makes sense to me. He wants to offer as many comics as he can, and this costs a fortune in terms of storing, managing, processing, etc. This cost is reflected in a higher price of his comics.

Chuck does not force you to buy comics from him. You buy comics from Mile High and you are willing to pay the premium if you are interested in keeping the store open and having such a broad availability of titles.

I have seen the video but I still need to finish reading all the posts here. His reasoning makes sense to me. He wants to offer as many comics as he can, and this costs a fortune in terms of storing, managing, processing, etc. This cost is reflected in a higher price of his comics.

Chuck does not force you to buy comics from him. You buy comics from Mile High and you are willing to pay the premium if you are interested in keeping the store open and having such a broad availability of titles.

His grading is and his prices are to justify his own arrogant approach to appear as the superior comic dealer in the market.

Sure, your choice to buy from him when the Internet exists and you can getter better quality product at a lower price with ease.

Other than an over-priced show room, he is only bad for the hobby (poor grading and unnecessary high prices do not attract new collectors or help keep the ones we have).

:shrug: Your choice to support his megalomania.

Now that I think about it, what really drives me crazy about Chuck is the way he prices new comics. They are always at a $1 premium. You want to get comics released this week? Pay $1 premium! But why???? When most of the online stores offer new comics at 15% off.

Now that I think about it, what really drives me crazy about Chuck is the way he prices new comics. They are always at a $1 premium. You want to get comics released this week? Pay $1 premium! But why???? When most of the online stores offer new comics at 15% off.

Because he has costs like the overpriced hard where store so you are gonna pay more

Only problem with that logic is that for any loan over $30,000 the bank is going to actually want some kind of outside appraisal, not just taking the loan applicants word for it. So they would send in an actuary or appraiser to go through his inventory and tally it up.

See his purchase of MH2.

At first I was surprised by the sheer number of posts this thread generated, but upon further review, I see almost a third are by two people, spewing their usual nonsense. Wouldn't it be easier to simply state you hate Stan and Cuck in your signatures?

This forum needs a "like" button.

A few responses to my posts have been a bit .... sharp? I've made it clear I've purchased from both places a few times. I've purchased more - and more recently - right here. And lots more on CL and eBay.

I don't really care how big Chuck's inventory is. Or how he arrives at his prices. I feel the same way about MyComicShop. If (almost) anyone has a book I want at a price I'm willing to pay, then I'm a potential customer. I'm not interested in their personality. Just the comics.

I think I'll just quit on this thread. Really isn't important enough to me to want to irritate other boardies.

I can't wait for his next video #5 when he takes on comic connect and ha and cl

I can't wait for video #6 ware he explains what a hard where store is.

Only problem with that logic is that for any loan over $30,000 the bank is going to actually want some kind of outside appraisal, not just taking the loan applicants word for it. So they would send in an actuary or appraiser to go through his inventory and tally it up.

See his purchase of MH2.

O I know the wonderful story of that purchase....

Lets say Chuck has five million dollars in inventory at Overstreet, and fifteen million at his prices. If he tried to get a loan on his inventory, banks would be reticent to use either of those numbers. But suppose a company was to come along and buy his entire inventory for $8,000,000 payable in 80 payments of $100,000. The same bank that might not be willing to lend the capital using the inventory as collateral will happily lend the money using the Promissory Notes as collateral.

On a similar note, we were recently in talks with a company called Cabbage. In a nutshell, they will front you 85 to 90% of last years credit card sales, in return for 100% of this years credit card sales. Not quite that simple, but that's the gist of it. If last year you did $100,000 in credit card sales, they will advance you up to $90,000 and then take the next $100,000 in sales.

His store.

His comics.

His prices.

In one video he says he's more collector than seller, when looking over his trades I believe.

That explains a lot more to the story, if people would listen to what he's saying

It doesn't explain anything. He blatantly states he charges higher prices to feed the ego driven monster store.

Pretending it is for the purposes of meeting a collecting need or otherwise is just him thinking he is smarter than everyone.

"His comics and his prices" doesn't change the conversation or the frustration people have with the damage he is doing to the hobby.

If you read the thread versus listening to his fairytale...

The thing that made the least sense to me in the video is his apparent desire to want to stock every comic in at least 5 grades.

I'm sorry, but there's no need to stock VG or Fine books if the cost of a NM one is under $6 (or should be, at market).

Stocking Marvel Silver or Bronze Age keys? I understand wanting to have ASM 121 or 129 in grades from 2.0 to 9.6, but not for Amazing Adventures 12 or whatever example it was he gave.

His store.

His comics.

His prices.

In one video he says he's more collector than seller, when looking over his trades I believe.

That explains a lot more to the story, if people would listen to what he's saying

It doesn't explain anything. He blatantly states he charges higher prices to feed the ego driven monster store.

Pretending it is for the purposes of meeting a collecting need or otherwise is just him thinking he is smarter than everyone.

"His comics and his prices" doesn't change the conversation or the frustration people have with the damage he is doing to the hobby.

To you, it's a hobby. For him, it's a business.

His store.

His comics.

His prices.

Serious question, what is "the damage he is doing to the hobby"?

His store.

His comics.

His prices.

Serious question, what is "the damage he is doing to the hobby"?

+1

I'd like to know this too

I feel any time you need to explain your pricing and it's anything but better customer service, more convenience, local option/instant gratification, or better product you're doing it wrong. Mile High does not have better customer service (their website is awful), isn't local to me, and offers the same product I see elsewhere (for what I'm looking for). If he gets his prices, more power to him, but I am not about to shop there.

EDIT: Also the hardware store comparison rings false. I'm willing to bet you pay a 10-20% premium for whatever they have, not twice retail.