• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck explains his Mile High pricing

906 posts in this topic

In one video he says he's more collector than seller, when looking over his trades I believe.

He really must be joking on this count.

It's beyond me how anybody could believe this.

Bragging for decades about how you are the "largest comic retailer" in the world - oh, excuse me- universe - is simply not consistent with being primarily a collector.

His store.

His comics.

His prices.

In one video he says he's more collector than seller, when looking over his trades I believe.

That explains a lot more to the story, if people would listen to what he's saying

It doesn't explain anything. He blatantly states he charges higher prices to feed the ego driven monster store.

Pretending it is for the purposes of meeting a collecting need or otherwise is just him thinking he is smarter than everyone.

"His comics and his prices" doesn't change the conversation or the frustration people have with the damage he is doing to the hobby.

If you read the thread versus listening to his fairytale...

Serious question, what is "the damage he is doing to the hobby"?

+1

I'd like to know this too

Simple, collecting is a hobby that people manage out of their own personal disposable income. When an unsuspecting buyer is "sold" something by MHC they are paying a huge premium over FMV - in many cases double the value. Call these buyers: naive, inexperienced, too trusting, overly-excited, whatever. They have now purchased something that is not worth what they paid for it. This causes frustration and dissatisfaction and without an outlet (like the boards-which I have been reminded is a very small group of very opinionated people), many people quit collecting as a result. This isn't even to mention that the book(s) is/are likely over-graded and therefore this person is now in a potentially exponentially worse position.

In a microcosm no big deal. However when you are a huge dealer and advertise that you are the "World's Largest Comic Dealer" in an attempt to cater to thousands of people, you are now potentially discouraged thousands of new collectors from continuing in the market.

5-10% mark-up, no big deal. "Chuck's Pricing" at 50% or more over FMV (not to mention significantly over-graded as well), big deal.

We want, we need people to become collectors. Not only to ensure the hobby lives on, but also for anything you own to be worth anything when you sell it. Whatever your motivation, collectors needs collectors. Chuck makes collecting unattractive.

His store.

His comics.

His prices.

That explains a lot more to the story, if people would listen to what he's saying

It doesn't explain anything. He blatantly states he charges higher prices to feed the ego driven monster store.

Pretending it is for the purposes of meeting a collecting need or otherwise is just him thinking he is smarter than everyone.

"His comics and his prices" doesn't change the conversation or the frustration people have with the damage he is doing to the hobby.

+1

Simple, collecting is a hobby that people manage out of their own personal disposable income. When an unsuspecting buyer is "sold" something by MHC they are paying a huge premium over FMV - in many cases double the value. Call these buyers: naive, inexperienced, too trusting, overly-excited, whatever. They have now purchased something that is not worth what they paid for it. This causes frustration and dissatisfaction and without an outlet (like the boards-which I have been reminded is a very small group of very opinionated people), many people quit collecting as a result. This isn't even to mention that the book(s) is/are likely over-graded and therefore this person is now in a potentially exponentially worse position.

In a microcosm no big deal. However when you are a huge dealer and advertise that you are the "World's Largest Comic Dealer" in an attempt to cater to thousands of people, you are now potentially discouraged thousands of new collectors from continuing in the market.

5-10% mark-up, no big deal. "Chuck's Pricing" at 50% or more over FMV (not to mention significantly over-graded as well), big deal.

We want, we need people to become collectors. Not only to ensure the hobby lives on, but also for anything you own to be worth anything when you sell it. Whatever your motivation, collectors needs collectors. Chuck makes collecting unattractive.

...this is well stated. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The thing that made the least sense to me in the video is his apparent desire to want to stock every comic in at least 5 grades.

I'm sorry, but there's no need to stock VG or Fine books if the cost of a NM one is under $6 (or should be, at market).

Stocking Marvel Silver or Bronze Age keys? I understand wanting to have ASM 121 or 129 in grades from 2.0 to 9.6, but not for Amazing Adventures 12 or whatever example it was he gave.

If you order any book that is under 10 dollars from mile high the grade attached to it is meaningless. You'll order a NM copy and get a VG copy. You'll order a FN copy and get a VF+.

I've never bothered with buying anything expensive from them so I can't attest to the accuracy of their grading on that front. But cheap books, anything you are only paying a few dollars for to fill runs, they don't even bother attempting to ballpark the grade.

Normally this wouldn't be a huge deal, people buy cheap books at local shops and cons all the time that appear to be VF/NM or better only to take the book out of the bag/board when they get home to find out its a Fine or whatever. But this is unacceptable in accordance with how Chuck markets his business, especially the online store, where he makes the effort to break up individual issues into grading tiers and prices them differently as a result.

His store.

His comics.

His prices.

+1

...this is well stated. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

+1 (thumbs u

I feel that, as a businessperson, the minute you have to take time out to explain why everything is so overpriced, you've probably already lost far too many customers. Of course, if we were talking rare, one-of-a-kind items that would be one thing, but when ebay and other retailers can easily trump your pricing then you have an issue you probably should be addressing beyond giving "economics" lessons.

You pro Chuck/Mile high guys have changed my mind,he must be one helluva guy for you to want to buy his over graded,over priced comics. I am now PRO Chuck,yay! :banana:

Just want to make clear, I don't believe I am PRO Chuck, just not anti-Chuck. I haven't bought anything from Mile High in years, perhaps decades, largely due to what is acknowledged by (almost?) everyone, the high prices (over-grading, not so much, but I don't buy high grade stuff so I don't know; my experience when I did buy from them is the opposite - I've bought many MH books graded at Good or Good+ that I thought were in much better condition than that).

Eloquently stated.

His store.

His comics.

His prices.

+1

I would agree with Jimbo that this is well-written, I'm just not sure it is well reasoned. If selling over-priced, over-graded comics is "damage to the hobby", given my experience over the years with numerous local comic shops, the entire hobby should have completely died off years ago.

Another serious question, given what you've answered above - just how many of these new collectors that Chuck is driving/has driven off do you imagine exists?

I mean, think about it, which is more likely for someone like that, that they are walking down the street and see one of the numerous over-priced, over-graded LCSs and go in, or happen across the Mile High website? First off, I'd guess that most people interested in buying comics online and not knowing where to look at likely to do one of two things - check out eBay (makes Chuck look like a piker when it comes to over-priced/over-graded comics), or the old stand-by, Google It. Mile High is the 9th link on the search I just did on "comic books for sale", with MCS, Westfield, eBay, Newkadia, and Atomic Avenue coming up higher.

I suspect these poor unfortunate folks are highly unlikely to stumble upon MH and get fleeced. It just doesn't seem that likely.

His store.

His comics.

His prices.

+1

I would agree with Jimbo that this is well-written, I'm just not sure it is well reasoned. If selling over-priced, over-graded comics is "damage to the hobby", given my experience over the years with numerous local comic shops, the entire hobby should have completely died off years ago.

Another serious question, given what you've answered above - just how many of these new collectors that Chuck is driving/has driven off do you imagine exists?

I mean, think about it, which is more likely for someone like that, that they are walking down the street and see one of the numerous over-priced, over-graded LCSs and go in, or happen across the Mile High website? First off, I'd guess that most people interested in buying comics online and not knowing where to look at likely to do one of two things - check out eBay (makes Chuck look like a piker when it comes to over-priced/over-graded comics), or the old stand-by, Google It. Mile High is the 9th link on the search I just did on "comic books for sale", with MCS, Westfield, eBay, Newkadia, and Atomic Avenue coming up higher.

I suspect these poor unfortunate folks are highly unlikely to stumble upon MH and get fleeced. It just doesn't seem that likely.

I suppose I cannot quantify how many people will or will not go to MHC. To your point it is in the first 10 Google searches for "buy comics online" but it isn't the top for sure.

I guess I was speaking of the relative risk of a person shopping at MHC versus their LCS. I won't elaborate on comparisons to eBay because that is a spoon shoot. However, I do think the average person has different expectations with eBay versus a comic shop "expert...." but that could just be my interpretation.

Is this an epidemic? Perhaps not overnight, but effects are cumulative and his business model is to expand that poor influence aggressively.

Either way I maintain Chuck is bad for the hobby, whether it is 1 person at a time or 1 million a year.

Their warehouse is INCREDIBLE!

It makes you think that you want to support this thing.

I know what you mean. I'd love to just spend a day wandering around in there seeing what neat books I could find.

His store.

His comics.

His prices.

+1

I suppose I cannot quantify how many people will or will not go to MHC. To your point it is in the first 10 Google searches for "buy comics online" but it isn't the top for sure.

I guess I was speaking of the relative risk of a person shopping at MHC versus their LCS. I won't elaborate on comparisons to eBay because that is a spoon shoot. However, I do think the average person has different expectations with eBay versus a comic shop "expert...." but that could just be my interpretation.

Is this an epidemic? Perhaps not overnight, but effects are cumulative and his business model is to expand that poor influence aggressively.

Either way I maintain Chuck is bad for the hobby, whether it is 1 person at a time or 1 million a year.

What have you done for the hobby?

His store.

His comics.

His prices.

Who cares if his entire business model relies on ripping off less educated consumers?

just for fun, I checked out their website for a few books I am on the prowl for currently. Wow is all I can say. Those prices are beyond crazy.

Whether or not he is a collector, at those prices he can keep all his books as far as I am concerned. They are not even close to resembling FMV- even if the grading were 100% accurate.

That doesn't mean I hate the guy either-- just that he is nuts if he thinks anyone with a lick of sense will be buying anything other than the hardest to find titles-- and even that would be a stretch.

I don't hate him, but I think he's shady as hell, and I think just about every defense of his I've read has been pretty ridiculous. I don't think we need to go burn his warehouse down like angry villagers, but we can call him out on his wildly_fanciful_statement for sure. And we definitely don't need to "respect what he's done for the hobby" or find his business savvy all that impressive. Maybe if his pricing explanation were "They're my comics, I can price them however I like!" I'd have a little more respect for him.

His store.

His comics.

His prices.

+1

Seriously though, what does that have to do with anything? The discussion is about Chuck and his Mile High Pricing. Are you arguing he is doing good for the hobby?

Chuck only does what is good for Chuck. Anyone can see he is an egotistical self-serving spoon.

Their warehouse is INCREDIBLE!

It makes you think that you want to support this thing.

He has to pay the warehouse rental. It looks like that warehouse is about 15,000 square foot. I could find the average price per foot is about $6.00 in Denver area.

That would be about $90,000 a month. I used to work for Japanese company that sells bearing things. They rented 33,000 square foot warehouse. That was $115,000 a month.

Seeing what is in that video, there are alot of craps. Many beat up and worn out boxes are in present. Junk pile-up. Many are unsold and unwanted. I went to the flea market place at old Menard's and saw the guy who has over 9,000 worthless modern comic books in his booth. He has to pay $300 a month for that crabby 36" x 12" space. Unfortunately for him, that place opens on the weekends only.

Buddy Sanders is smart enough to close most places to sell them online. Chuck should have learned from him soon. Maybe he is trapped with debts, leases or whatever. I think he is losing his ground at this point.