• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck explains his Mile High pricing

906 posts in this topic

I think Chuck's business model works because the hobby is filled with people who are ignorant about pricing and who value convenience over price accuracy. And his is the most well-known store in the business - or was, not sure if that is still the case with the coming of the Internets.

His best business decision was to take out a two-page centerfold ad in every Marvel comic published in the 1980s. Really got the word out there about his shop to the people who are now in a position to use discretionary income on funnybooks

And I think people get angry with - and hurl insults at - Chuck because they believe that he must know his pricing is out of whack with reality, but still he continues to use every snake oil technique known to man to get people to pay his prices out of sympathy or pity.

I personally bailed on his newsletters after he responded to the Mound City auction with an announcement that he was obviously pricing his slabs too low based on that auction's results and so would be putting a new pricing model into effect. This came at a time when a mid-grade, mid-run SA DC slab would be priced around 25x of guide. It felt very disingenuous and predatory to me, and so I can understand the vitriol if not actually succumbing to those feelings myself

Did anyone notice what he said about paying a markup at the local hardware store because, in his heart, that's the kind of place he wanted to support? So if you folks had a heart and cared about comics, you'd be shopping with Mile High. Because you know, hearts.

Maybe Chuck needs to start selling hammers and band saws.

I feel pretty bad for bad mouthing a fellow colorado native in a prior post.

Its just hard for me to shop for comics when I go back home for the holidays and such because I'm so used to dealing with guys like Frank form metropolis, and Hunter from NDC, Dale Roberts etc.. guys from garden of earthly delight in philly etc.. that pretty much hook a brother up

Ive had so many unfriendly experiences last few years at comic shops in Colorado and midwest.

All of a sudden they are worried about resellers and what not making smart comments to me but when I was in the shops years ago buying their NM 98 for $5 they laughed at me. They laughed at me while I was buying Starlin Warlock and Thanos for a buck each..

Now whos laughing>>??

so it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth when I hear about youtube kids getting scolded and berrated by comic book shop owners for trying to get a Avengers annual 7 for a buck. its no coincidence this happens mostly in midwest and fly over states.

Thing is Colorado is a destination spot, not a fly over, so the comic shops there need to be more careful of the hobby as a whole.

Mile high guy is driving folks away with high prices, and the back issue scene on the front range is dead except for steals at Grand slam in loveland because those guys are super old school about it.

A destination state should have more to offer for comics. And colorado currently sucks.

so basically the only major US comic destination spots to go digging through warehouses are basically the big west coast flea markets and the northeast mega dealers like Todd Mcdevitt.

Mile guy has a chance to make colorado a place to go for comics but isnt.

I think you need to give some other shops in Colorado a chance. I've had great dealings with both Shawn at Aamazing Fantasy comics in Littleton (and yes, that's how he spells it!) and Time Warp in Boulder. There's also a new shop in Littleton, 5280, that's got some good stuff. I only shop Mile High in bouts of severe desperation, which fortunately don't happen often, if at all.

I heard once he ate a live baby.

I think it's been said a lot but, if you don't like his prices don't buy from him. Having Mile High around is good for those of us that end up selling books, his prices add to the idea these books are worth something.

Plus I think he routinely comes out with 50% sales and the like, could he do that if everything was priced at market to begin with? Same thing happens at other businesses, ever go to Staples - everything is more expensive unless you use their points and coupons that they email you. Just a different way of doing business, its well known some people respond to the words "sale" and "discount". He's got the market cornered on that kind of customer, and he seems to be doing well.

I have never bought a comic from Mile High.

Every time we talk about Chucky, I check his website for a book I need, and the pricing is ridiculous. This time it was the last Suicide Squad issue I need, #61 for $50 in "NM". Even if it's the last book I need, I'm not paying that.

Does anyone know what his mail order business on new books looks like? If he's not selling back issues, that's has to be the only thing keeping him afloat. I don't believe he's paying what he says he's paying on warehouse space, though... no one's that stupid.

so it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth when I hear about youtube kids getting scolded and berrated by comic book shop owners for trying to get a Avengers annual 7 for a buck. its no coincidence this happens mostly in midwest and fly over states.

Off-topic, but that guy was full of it.

I think it's been said a lot but, if you don't like his prices don't buy from him. Having Mile High around is good for those of us that end up selling books, his prices add to the idea these books are worth something.

+1. I've never bought from him either, probably never will. But check out the video of his primary warehouse and his "reserve" warehouse. Putting price models aside, these warehouses are pretty impressive, and the overhead (huge warehouse + employees) I think would be pretty impressive too, which might factor into his pricing.

and

While he may have gotten lucky with the Church collection, his financing of the MH2 collection was pure genius and something 99.9% of the people here would never have even thought of.He is also one of the pioneers of the early direct distribution system, and even today is a steady source of income for hundreds of small shops- many who would not exist without him.

But its much easier to take shots in ignorance than to learn.

I am fine with Chuck pricing his books how ever he wants; it is his business to do what ever he wants with his business. What I can not stand for is his lack of business morals when it comes to the "pitch" in order to get you to buy something. Every other month he is going to go out of business if he doesn't sell "x" number, when ever there is a tragedy he is there to swoop in. The Hurricane Sandy hucksterism was the big and most recent one everyone will probably remember but he has done the exact same thing countless times.

Someones house was destroyed and they will not be able to buy comics from me, so I might go out of business unless you buy from me. A teenager died in a car accident outside out building, it is very sad..... want to buy some comics!

It is this disingenuous snake oil salesman approach that eventually turns repeat buyers away.

Full disclosure, I have purchased from MHC in the past and continue to do so (or try to). Every time he posts a 60% off code I try to bulk purchase NM copies of random books (quasar #1, Wonder man #1, Ninja High School #38, etc). I fine this very amusing as they usually cancel the order and unlist the issue completely, it is my little way of trolling them into thinking they are about to be taken advantage of.

If you have to explain your pricing...well you're doing something wrong....

Does he explain why his listings refer to his items as "comics book" instead of "comic book"?

I find that tedious

Yeah, but I like when he does that. It makes it easier for me so skip over his auctions. I wish David TA would do that as well. I can usually tell their auctions when page after page on fleabay they have huge numbers for crappy books. I usually just shut it down and go do something else...

I think you need to give some other shops in Colorado a chance. I've had great dealings with both Shawn at Aamazing Fantasy comics in Littleton (and yes, that's how he spells it!) and Time Warp in Boulder. There's also a new shop in Littleton, 5280, that's got some good stuff. I only shop Mile High in bouts of severe desperation, which fortunately don't happen often, if at all.

will do man, Im all for trying out new places.

Time Warp is decent, used to shop there when i worked at Naropa and volunteered at Radio 1190.

I'll have to try Aamazing Fantasy, thanks for the heads up!

I am fine with Chuck pricing his books how ever he wants; it is his business to do what ever he wants with his business. What I can not stand for is his lack of business morals when it comes to the "pitch" in order to get you to buy something. Every other month he is going to go out of business if he doesn't sell "x" number, when ever there is a tragedy he is there to swoop in. The Hurricane Sandy hucksterism was the big and most recent one everyone will probably remember but he has done the exact same thing countless times.

Someones house was destroyed and they will not be able to buy comics from me, so I might go out of business unless you buy from me. A teenager died in a car accident outside out building, it is very sad..... want to buy some comics!

It is this disingenuous snake oil salesman approach that eventually turns repeat buyers away.

Full disclosure, I have purchased from MHC in the past and continue to do so (or try to). Every time he posts a 60% off code I try to bulk purchase NM copies of random books (quasar #1, Wonder man #1, Ninja High School #38, etc). I fine this very amusing as they usually cancel the order and unlist the issue completely, it is my little way of trolling them into thinking they are about to be taken advantage of.

I know, right? That just happened a few weeks ago, she crashed into the back dock of HIS building...and the next day he talked about it in his newsletter and was hawking comics in the next paragraph! "We're all really sad here... meanwhile the code word sale is still on!"