• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the Whiz #1 coming up in HA the prettiest 3.0 ?

51 posts in this topic

I believe that is the copy earl shaw found. Will be mine bwaaawaawaaa

you%20will%20lose_zpse7mcrsof.jpg

nope. I'm committed ;)

I don't win a lot

bateman's timing was perfect on that line.

I knew you would get the source of that line. Been waiting for the right place to post it.

With so many great books in the auction, it would be hard to strategize on winning the Whiz #1 because it is towards the end of the auction where it sells. Do you put all your eggs in one basket hoping your max bid could win even if you have interest in other book(s) that would sell earlier? Or do you try and win the other book(s) and whatever is remaining, put it towards the Whiz #1? Of course this doesn't apply if the Whiz #1 is all you want and nothing else. But good luck to all bidders!

Its funny but after reading the posts ( again I am new here, but not to this hobby) I can't help but wonder if there is a pre game bidding strategy going on? Is Gator posting that he wants the book because there is always the chance that it makes some board members back off as he is known to be a force to be reconed with in this hobby? Or is he just saying" look I want the book & I am going big time for it" no strategy I just want the book & I am letting you guys know. I think it quite smart for any board members to let other members know when your HOT on a book as it seems to make the sorta maybe bidders drop & the board tends to be very cool with letting another member get a book they re HOT on. But then there is always the non board members to remember but you have to deal with them anyway. I would be very suprised if the book hit the high 80s & that post could just be another strategic move to point out a very high number to make real bidders back off and question there intended bid. But stranger things have happened and this copy just presents so well for the grade. Again all this is IMO and this post has been fun. Can't wait to see who really throws down on it and what the final bid is, again just a great looking copy!

The great thing about our boards is that there are friendships and sense of community amongst many. Most of the posts are just posturing and poking and good natured fun

There is no nefarious "strategy " necessarily. But we have recently seen some rediculous prices paid for books that many don't believe warrant those prices (mf73 for example) and there is a chance that someone (boardie or non boardie) will say overpay just to have a copy of some book they want.

Outside of centaurs, whiz 2 (1) is my number 1 desired book...that's no secret. . I spoke to earl shaw a half dozen times during his obtaining this copy, trying to secure it . Ultimately the family decided to auction. I'm fine with that. I certainly would /plan to win it, but there is a price even I won't pay....

But I'm prepared to overpay (I once owned the other 3.0) , would prefer if I don't have to, but such is life. If it were to boil down to boardies going after, sure I'd prefer not battling and sending the book to stratosphere pricing, but it is, what it is ...

That said, no one really reveals , publicly their strategy , so maybe I have no interest in this copy at all hm

gentlemen, start your engines.

I'm not taking any chances. The teenagers are going up for sale next week so that I can build my war chest. :insane:

Got anything younger? My 7-year-old wants a little brother.

:idea:

I'm not taking any chances. The teenagers are going up for sale next week so that I can build my war chest. :insane:

Got anything younger? My 7-year-old wants a little brother.

"how much for the women? how much for the little girl?"