• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collection Age and Collector Age - Any Correlation?

Collection Age and Collector Age  

351 members have voted

1. 1. Collection Age and Collector Age

33 posts in this topic

Reminds me of when I started collecting in 1978 at age 12. One of my first Silver Age books was JLA #76 from 1968. I thought it was so old at the time... I wonder if today's 12 year old collectors view a book from 2000 as old?

BTW, I often think about some of my first visits to a Comic Shop back in the late 70's and imagine "what if" I had the money I spend on back issues now at that time? Where's that time travel machine?

This is me.

When I first started reading comics in the mid 60's the big 2 were both providing reprints of their material that went back almost to their start..... and I still have books on my wish list from the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's...... so yes(kind of).... I focus on what I was exposed to. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Born in 1983...my collection contains books from all ages but my main and only focus right now is rarities from the GA especially the classic covers...somewhat of a challenge...historically significant...great art IMO..hard to top...plus the people in the GA section are so interesting and passionate about the hobby...very knowledgeable and fun to interact with...I may have been born in the wrong time I'm somewhat of an old soul...I do appreciate everyone's collector focus...whatever brings them joy!!

Gino and I are on the same page.

I collect coins too and to say that the coins I owned from change or the proof sets I owned in the 70's have nostalgic memories today is hogwash, same with the comics I bought off the spinner racks in the 70's I want neither of them back , I want the stuff much older than that,

stuff I could only dream about back then,

1968 Generation X

Collected mostly bronze when I was a kid.

My dad collected Stamps and coins.

He would always stop off at this one antique store that carried stamps, coins, and war antiques on our way to the family cottage.

The owner of this stores son had collected comics and sold them out of his father's antique store.

I remember him selling 1970 and on books at cover price i.e 15c,20c etc.

All the books from the 1960's he called "collector comics" and they were $1.00

each.

In 1974 this was a lot of money, but my dad would let be buy a pile of the 15 cent books and allow me one "collector comic" per visit.

This is how I was exposed to silver age books.

As I got older I would always go to downtown Toronto on Queen Street where there were 3 back issue stores.

The one in the Beaches area closest to where I had lived was Queen's Comics, and the others were on Queen Street west , one was Dragon Lady and the other which is still around today, but in a different location is The Silver Snail.

From these 3 stores I collected my back issues until I quit during my University years.

When I came back to collecting back issues wasn't that easy anymore because all the stores had disappeared.

The new stores carried these things called "variants" and I knew I was on the outside looking in doh!

Long story short I buy anything I like...but mostly silver and bronze (thumbs u

Late Gen X, born in 1977, Silver.

I had some late Bronze/Copper when I was a kid, ASMs, Secret Wars, Cap, Marvel Team Up, etc, but most of my reading wen I was a kid were reprints, for whatever reason. Marvel's Greatest Comics, Marvel Triple Action, Marvel Tales, etc. For whatever reason, the art and storytelling of the Silver Age was what I gravitated to. My LCS as a kid was pretty nice to me, and would give me literally stacks of Marvel reprint books for something crazy like .20 each, which seemed awesome at the time. I loved coming home with 30-50 banged up Marvel Tales.

That's what hooked me.

Born in 1983...my collection contains books from all ages but my main and only focus right now is rarities from the GA especially the classic covers...somewhat of a challenge...historically significant...great art IMO..hard to top...plus the people in the GA section are so interesting and passionate about the hobby...very knowledgeable and fun to interact with...I may have been born in the wrong time I'm somewhat of an old soul...I do appreciate everyone's collector focus...whatever brings them joy!!

You know you are awesome – a friend of mine whose father was born in 1900 but married quite at an advanced age (he was born in 1957) always said he was like he was born in 1923… He is a big pre-war/1940s italian books collector, and wrote several essays.

Good stuff Claudio and as are you!! Awesome that is!! :grin:

Gino and I are on the same page.

exactly The same Red!! We even seem to go after the same grades and keep our eyes peeled for well presenting copies givin their low grade status...and how can I forget we both have Action 23s :cloud9: fun stuff!!

1984 - Grew up on Marvel Trading cards, clone sagas, symbiotes, Spider-man and Batman Animated series.

I used to by foil and holograms as a kid. I always admired high dollar books. The only "key" I ever had was Sleepwalker 1.

When I got back into collecting about 5 years ago. I started picking up books I always wanted, but could never afford (as a kkd). Modern Spidey keys like ASM 238, 252, 298-300, 361. Wolverine 1-4. Copper/Modern keys.

Got into slabbing. Decided to sell off books and start going for Marvel silver age keys.

Now I look for high grade raw books to slab and sell in order to buy silver age keys.