• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to More Fun #73?

194 posts in this topic

There appears to be a Green Arrow movie called Super Max, directed by David S. Goyer in the works:

Super Max

This will most likely drive sales back up.

Plot:

Oliver Queen, a.k.a the arrow-wielding super-hero Green Arrow, is framed for a crime he didn't commit and subsequently sent to a special maximum security prison. Inside, he has to work with some of his nemeses in order to escape and clear his name.

Super Max has been in development for 7 years. Here's the latest info that I could find...

With no real news on Super Max in the past year, many wondered if the film had quietly been canned. The Hollywood Reporter later confirmed the movie is still in development, but it was not among the active projects listed by the studio in their recent announcement of the formation of DC Entertainment. Interestingly, it sounds as if Warners is also planning a separate Green Arrow origin movie. Whether the origin movie will take precedence over Super Max remains to be seen.

doh! Wow, I had no idea.

If Metro is picking it up for that kind of price, then they must be hoping to sell it off at an even higher price.

Wonder how long it's going to take for them to be able to find the right buyer or the right market conditions to do this. Probably similar to the Action 1 that they picked up for $3.2 million dollars.

It's a good thing that they are the kind of dealer that have deep enough pockets to incorporate this strategy as part of their business model. (thumbs u

The tough part for me is evaluating books (such as this one) that are now being judged based on a whole new set of criteria. Historically, books have been evaluated solely based on their significance/importance WITHIN THE HOBBY. In recent years, this is now also largely being determined by appearances in movies, TV, etc. So...in many ways, these new criteria are counter-intuitive to everything I learned as a collector over the last 30 years. For that reason, it's very difficult to accept market changes based on these criteria, where minor keys can suddenly become much more desirable simply because a movie has been announced, etc.

I guess my main question is this: Who is buying these books now at the inflated prices...? Is there a new generation of comic collectors that place such an emphasis on movies / TV / etc, or is this simply speculation from long-time collectors that are now playing the game based on short-term hype, etc...?

If there are new collectors entering the hobby that are much more accepting of the new criteria for "key" status, then the price corrections may become more permanent. On the other hand, if it's primarily the result of speculation, then it feels a lot more like a game of musical chairs, and I would expect the bottom to fall out once the characters are no longer "in favor" because of upcoming movies, etc.

I suspect the answer lies somewhere in the middle...and I am trying not to let my own long-held personal biases to drive the ship. That being said, increased interest in Wonder Woman (and female characters in general) makes a lot more sense to me than increased interest in Aquaman / Green Arrow. Aquaman and Green Arrow have just been third-tier characters for too long for me to care too much about them personally. Meanwhile, WW (and to a lesser extent, Zatanna / Huntress / Power Girl / Black Canary / etc) have all been top tier characters that simply weren't getting as much respect as they have deserved.

Some great questions and speculation here.

That was a good looking 6.0 though. I almost bought it before Vinny scooped it up.

Yes. I did not mean to imply that they bought it from their own auction. The book was publically available 2 months ago.

Joe v had for sale at nycc

Well, if Vinny and the boys had gotten the book from Joe V, then they most likely made some pretty good money on the book. hm

From my previous dealings with Joe V, I found him to be a real stand up guy and went beyond fair and reasonable in terms of pricing. (thumbs u

Of course, I was only a small time collector, so the situation may not have been the same with Vinny since he is a big time dealer.

That was a good looking 6.0 though. I almost bought it before Vinny scooped it up.

Yes. I did not mean to imply that they bought it from their own auction. The book was publically available 2 months ago.

Joe v had for sale at nycc

Well, if Vinny and the boys had gotten the book from Joe V, then they most likely made some pretty good money on the book. hm

From my previous dealings with Joe V, I found him to be a real stand up guy and went beyond fair and reasonable in terms of pricing. (thumbs u

Of course, I was only a small time collector, so the situation may not have been the same with Vinny since he is a big time dealer.

the book was priced relative to fmv. 'Twas no bargain but certainly a fair price.

What your looking at is almost the perfect storm for numerical data only, there are no sales after the first few months of the TV show being out and gaining public knowledge of this relatively unknown "superhero" until 18 months later. After 18 months speculation on movies and tv became huge, we saw big increases in several books:

Action 1 goes for 3.2

Hulk 1 in high grade goes bonkers causing a full price swing

Marvel's Avengers 1 rockets the movie world

Marvel announces a whack of other movies

DC does the same.

MFC in a 3.5 DESTROYS all logic in price and now the market says holy and a bunch more come to market and we now see the down swing of it.

Finally...who has been the butt of all DC jokes as the lamest "main" superhero for years? He pees where he lives. I wish we knew who bought all the MFC's over the past few years as I would make a good wager they bought it for the first Arrow over first Aquaman.

I can appreciate both Green Arrow and Aquaman. Having said that, Aquaman was the reason that I recently purchased my copy.