• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody think there is a Mile High Church like collection still out there?

130 posts in this topic

The Chuck explains his Mile High pricing thread got me thinking that it`s been awhile since a big collection has been discovered. hm

Is this it?

Are all the good collections accounted for?

The Mile High Collection was discovered about 40 years ago.

There has to be a collection of that magnitude sitting somewhere to be discovered, right?

A few years ago they thought certain silent films were lost forever, but they were found.

Lost films discovered.

This leads me to think that there has to be at least one super collection still out there undiscovered.

I don't think there are any more collections out there that can match both the sheer size and breadth of books the church collection represents. I do however know there are several major original owner collections out there that are amazing collections that are just passing from father to son etc and not being broken up. As others have said, much of the church collection was "drek" that very few people collected. The value of it now is that its part of the church collection. I think to have a collection like that takes very special circumstances

I am not sure whether this is a urban legend, but I recall I read somewhere about the existence of semi-abandoned warehouses used by printing companies and publishers to store magazines, comics, etc. and that they could still contain plenty of unsold material.

I am not sure whether this is a urban legend, but I recall I read somewhere about the existence of semi-abandoned warehouses used by printing companies and publishers to store magazines, comics, etc. and that they could still contain plenty of unsold material.

There have been many warehouse find including the Mile High 2 collection. By now I would suspect that all the prospectors have visited those mines and have collected all that's worth anything. From time to time here on the boards some boardies have sold wrapped bundles that have never see the light of day as individual books.

There have been many warehouse find including the Mile High 2 collection. By now I would suspect that all the prospectors have visited those mines and have collected all that's worth anything. From time to time here on the boards some boardies have sold wrapped bundles that have never see the light of day as individual books.

:(

The Church collection was put together by someone who bought those comics at newsstand. I don't think there are other similar collections out there. But I believe that there still will be treasures found: current collectors may die with no heirs or may die without their heirs understanding the value of their collection.

I wouldn't be shocked if there are several more collections out there. I doubt they will be in the same condition as Church's, who kept them in unread condition, but it's possible a kid who was 10 years old in 1938 and started collecting then would be in his upper 80's today.

There is an entire generation of collectors, alive for the dawn of the Golden Age, that will be passing in the next decade. I think then we will see if there are more collections to come.

What will happen over the next few years will be high grade Silver/Bronze age collections such as those that have come to light in the last few years. Golden Age original owner collections will be a rarity if we see any at all. Speculating about GA OO collections reminds me of those Big Foot shows - they spend 59 1/2 minutes talking about how it could be possible and end the last 30 seconds saying, "the tenacious hunters continue to scour the earth but have not found any."

There's a pretty strong ripple effect every time one of these attic/basement finds hits the news.

By that I mean, once it becomes public that someone found a comic/card/doodad worth $10,000 sitting in and old shoe box in their home and it gets 30 seconds on the news, it spurs people all over the country to give a call to Aunt Edna "Just to say hi" and maybe to see if they can stop over and visit....

So I think most of the big stuff from the OO perspective has got to be smoked out by now.

I suppose that people are still hoping there are some big storage lockers that will be unearthed at some point, but that seems HIGHLY doubtful from what we know about how shady that whole industry is.

Another issue about Church level collections is the amount of sheer space they take up. For there to be one that has been overlooked is unlikely. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I wonder what percentage of his paycheck Edgar was spending each week on comics ? Pay was not that high in those days..... it wouldn't surprise me if he dropped at least a full weeks pay each month..... this couldn't have been something that endeared him to Mrs. Church...... boats, vacations, cars, appliances, etc..... that weren't pursued.

It's been stated before that the family was resentful of the collection, yeah. I don't recall the specifics.

I'm sure there will be other OO GA collections in the next ten years and some of them will be great, but expect finds like Billy Wright not Edgar. That being said after this next ten years we are basically done.

Don't all of us somehow hope we will become Edgar Church once we die? Whenever I think about my comics collection, I always enjoy the idea that when I will be gone, someone will come and find my treasure (which is, right now, more of a piggybank treasure than a real treasure).

Maybe nothing like the MH collection but I can say first hand there are still some nice Golden Age OO collections being found out there. I've found a couple in the last few years and I know there's another recent find that was found a few hours away from me.

There's also a lot of old school collectors who don't collect much anymore but still have a huge collection of Gold Silver and Bronze stashed away. I'm sure over the next few years there will be some sweet new collections coming to market.

Don't all of us somehow hope we will become Edgar Church once we die? Whenever I think about my comics collection, I always enjoy the idea that when I will be gone, someone will come and find my treasure (which is, right now, more of a piggybank treasure than a real treasure).

I am hoping I am Edgar Church BEFORE I die.....like Mark Hamill's character in Amazing Stories.... "Gather Ye Acorns"

For the impatient, jump to 22:00 and watch from there....

It's still out there.

There are plenty of people who live alone and like being left alone (relatively speaking)...and don't like talking about what they own.

There are also plenty of people who don't care about the dollar value of their collection and do it for pure enjoyment.

It's a big world with a lot of people. It would be foolish to think such a collection is no longer possible.

Finding it is the hard part.