• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody think there is a Mile High Church like collection still out there?

130 posts in this topic

If it happened once, it can happens again.

but possibility does not = probability. And I think the OP's original post was about whether we thought another such collection was probable.

Right; its also fully possible that there is a full pallet of action 1 in someone's warehouse from the buyout of stock of a news distributor that went bankrupt in June, 1938 or something. But the possibility is so remote that its not even worth talking about.

but possibility does not = probability. And I think the OP's original post was about whether we thought another such collection was probable.

Right; its also fully possible that there is a full pallet of action 1 in someone's warehouse from the buyout of stock of a news distributor that went bankrupt in June, 1938 or something. But the possibility is so remote that its not even worth talking about.

I have a pallet full of Turok #1. Is that the same thing...?

hm

I have a pallet full of Turok #1. Is that the same thing...?

hm

Yes. :whee:

I have been in a comic store were the owner offered buttons for the collections or to break up the set only for the person to walk out with "junk in tow". I have followed these people out and have made offers but they were so annoyed at the way they were treated that they told me they were junking as soon as they got home. This has even happened to me then I tried to sell back for credit or such "rubbish" was the very loud remark I got for my items. I closed all my standing and collectable orders that day, even though there is only one store near me.

My LCS guy is very polite when this happens-he's smart enough to know it would be stupid business to mock a customer or potential customer. His store does very well BTW.

My buddy had a practice studio and he came over asking to borrow my bokken. Apparently his band was practicing when a couple bats flew out of the wall-he immediately packed up his guitar to leave. The other band members didn't think it was a big deal but just as he was exiting the room filled with bats. He used my bokken to kill bats-there was a full trash bag of bats the next day.

By now, however, any such collections...indeed, if they ever existed...would be in the hands of someone beyond the ability to care for it (in their 100s), or in the hands of their heirs, who may likely not have cared for it, or long since quietly (and anonymously) dispersed, or thrown out.

Imagine what might have happened had Edgar Church or his family just decided to get rid of them before anyone could come along? Ouch. We'd probably be talking about some other lesser collection right now. It pains me to think that another collection like his or better may have existed once but was just dumped out with the trash...and...there probably were.

What is not only possible, but certainly DOES exist are 2nd and 3rd (and 4th and so on) generation collectors, who assembled fabulous collections 10-20-30-40 years after the fact, and have, themselves, maintained them, and are now in their 60's-80's. Those collections DO exist, and are out there, and they are wonderful...many of whom contain many books from the Church collection itself. We will see dazzling, amazing collections come to market within out lifetimes, that contain complete runs of most GA material, all well preserved and breathtaking in their scope.

Not that mine will come close to a Church collection but before I die if no one in my family has shown interest, maybe I'll just buy a small old house somewhere where the climate is arid and dry and leave my entire collection in paper bags in tall stacks on tables in the basement. Even the slabbed ones.

If found 50 years later I wonder if anyone will even care about the stacks of modern drek that'll make up half the collection. meh, It'll probably just get thrown out. (shrug)

Imagine what might have happened had Edgar Church or his family just decided to get rid of them before anyone could come along? Ouch. We'd probably be talking about some other lesser collection right now.

Well we already are. If I remember correctly chuckles got there after all the pulps were thrown out, and its thought that he got there after the family threw all the funny animal stuff out.

I did not mean he had love for the comics but the art, also what makes a comic different from a novel of course it has to be the art maybe that's why he might not have read them. I love art in all its forms it is the visual that appeals to me and I can appreciate the thought and imagination that went into the finished product.

Every time I drive by what is obviously an old house, I wonder what might be hidden in the attic or basement.

(thumbs u

never say never,

there could be the next Church collection, in the old house you drove by yesterday,

I think there are more out there, some never to see the light of day,

B

I still have the small coin collection put together by my great-great grandfather, who owned a saloon until prohibition put him out of business. Whenever someone paid for a drink with an old or foreign coin, he'd set it aside. (None of them turned out to be particularly valuable, unfortunately.)

There must be some comic book collections that have stayed in the family—maybe even some large ones—but it seems unlikely that the nearly-perfect storage conditions that led to the Church collection's freshness would be duplicated anywhere.

as ruler of this forum, I pronounce this thread dead.

:applause:If that's the case then we should thank ComicConniseur for posting another interesting question as I believe he started this thread. :applause:

as ruler of this forum, I pronounce this thread dead.

:applause:If that's the case then we should thank ComicConniseur for posting another interesting question as I believe he started this thread. :applause:

Thank you kind sir. :)

I think there are still a few big undiscovered collections out there.

Some will be discovered when the old retiring collectors want them to be discovered, while a few might be those kind that accidentally get discovered.

Only time will tell.

Until then let`s keep searching! :cloud9:

I have a great-uncle who is now in his 80s, he owns almost EVERYTHING he ever bought. From what I understand, he has his first car, torn down into parts but still "whole," in his posession.

It's kind of morbid, but I hope I get to see his house & storage after he passes. IDK if he ever read comics, but if he did, I am sure he still has them.

-slym