• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody think there is a Mile High Church like collection still out there?

130 posts in this topic

People wacky enough to make bomb shelters weren't stocking them with comics-which would be worthless after the apocalypse-they were stocking them with food.

As for the ten boxes of GA I would need more info-these guys would have to be wealthy-and very old- to not be interested in selling. And they were avid collectors but no one's heard of them-it sounds apocryphal to me

He's in his 90s. He doesn't need the money. He loves the books and he they are a connection to his brother who has died. He doesn't use the internet. This collection exists and is very valuable. If it exists I'd suspect there are a few more out there.

Tie your friend to a chair. Use hot pokers to extract this guy's whereabouts. We'll pay him a visit posing as termite inspectors. You keep him busy while I see to the collection.

Dave I've heard the story from your buddy as well and I absolutely believe him too, but FYI I think I recall him saying the collection he was viewing was about a dozen boxes or something? Key books and probably wonderful grades, but we are talking about a collection probably 10% as broad as Church on a good day. Now, the 10% that guy seems to have is the "good" 10% but still. These kinds of collections are out there in a significant number I bet (thumbs u

Tie your friend to a chair. Use hot pokers to extract this guy's whereabouts. We'll pay him a visit posing as termite inspectors. You keep him busy while I see to the collection.

Tempting but can't do.

Point is that I know of a undiscovered, wonderful OO collection. It's real and it's likely there are still a few more out in the wild.

Dave I've heard the story from your buddy as well and I absolutely believe him too, but FYI I think I recall him saying the collection he was viewing was about a dozen boxes or something? Key books and probably wonderful grades, but we are talking about a collection probably 10% as broad as Church on a good day. Now, the 10% that guy seems to have is the "good" 10% but still. These kinds of collections are out there in a significant number I bet (thumbs u

Agreed Dan, this isn't equal to the Mile High in size or value.

In all of this we have to keep in mind how impossibly broad the church collection was. More or less every comic printed from the 30s to the early 50s? Totally insane. Before you even consider condition.

Agreed Dan, this isn't equal to the Mile High in size or value.

I'll take it though!! :cloud9:

Guy amasses a Church collection. Keeps it safe in file cabinets in attic. His son gets the house when he dies, he's a hoarder-the collection is effectively entombed in stuff. It sits there....waiting.....

I have been in a comic store were the owner offered buttons for the collections or to break up the set only for the person to walk out with "junk in tow". I have followed these people out and have made offers but they were so annoyed at the way they were treated that they told me they were junking as soon as they got home. This has even happened to me then I tried to sell back for credit or such "rubbish" was the very loud remark I got for my items. I closed all my standing and collectable orders that day, even though there is only one store near me.

People wacky enough to make bomb shelters weren't stocking them with comics-which would be worthless after the apocalypse-they were stocking them with food.

Oh, they might have stocked them with comics and newspapers all right.... but probably not, uh, for reading material. I'm not sure any of us wants to own these "collections' today, however...

;)

Those old coots are still collecting and hoarding as well, age is no barrier when you have that itch. Collecting right up until they fall over.

And that's the way it should be. Enjoy your hobbies to the end, as you can't take it with you.