• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody think there is a Mile High Church like collection still out there?

130 posts in this topic

It is kind of morbid, but a lot of great collections will not come to light until the owners kick the bucket. It's not inconceivable that a lot of great collections exist under the radar, but it's hard to imagine a collection equal to or greater than than the Church Collection.

Can someone surmise for me what the Mile High and Church collections were actually sold for, if anyone knows?

Legend has it that the Church family had a price in mind and that was $2,000 which represented Edgar's approximate all in cost. The story, as I was told it, was that Chuck didn't have the $2,000 so he had to get an advance along with some pre-orders from the likes of Maurice Carter (the dad of Gary Carter, of AACC and Comic Book Marketplace fame). Supposedly Chuck took some pride in making LESS than a million dollars in total revenue from the collection. That's all I know.

Fellow readers: if you see something wrong in what I have posted, please point it out. Thx

While the condition may not be Church/Mile High quality, there are still plenty of undiscovered GA collections out there.

There are supposed to be two large OO collections here in town with GA DC and Timely books from the late 30s up into the 50s or later (one is confirmed, the other is what I view as the Kayser Soze collection that two dealers have apparently seen that has low grade Action #1, Tec #27 - one of the dealers supposedly purchased a Marvel Comics #1 missing the back cover from the son of the OO) .

My wife's girlfriend has a co-worker I have talked to as well that told me about his dad's collection that includes most Marvel and DC titles from when he started collecting in the 60s that spans the SA he grew up with (bought of the stand) and worked back to early GA (bought second hand).

I just need to figure out a way to land one of them. lol

Like I said...the conditions for a CHURCH collection to be found no longer exist. What was possible 40 years ago, 30 years ago, 20 years ago, is now no longer possible.

"Original owners" are now approaching their 90's. Action Comics #1 is 77 years old. An original owner, who managed to save his/her copy since 1938 would have to be around at least 87. Anything much younger, and it's not really likely they would have been able to save them.

And an owner old enough to have saved the books AND kept them in excellent condition, would have to be a minimum of 95 years old.

The window, sadly, is just about closed, if not already gone. Similar condition, but much smaller? Yes, for now. Similar scope, put together after the fact? Yes, absolutely. Similar condition and similar scope...? Not possible anymore, if it ever existed outside of Church.

And....the window for original owner GA collections of *any* condition is closing quickly, as well.

Time and tide wait for no man.

I don't know about a large comprehensive golden age original owner collection, but I bet there's still a box or two out there with ultra high grade GA keys.

Also, what's really interesting to me is how many collections out there may have some of the really cool self published stuff from the 80's/90's in it. Like Angry Youth Comix #1? It's not exactly Action Comics, and I could easily see the few copies that exist winding up in the trash because whoever stumbles upon it thinks it's junk. It's not a million dollar comic, but it is a comic rarity that could probably fetch some money in the right auction. I say "probably" because it's never happened that I know of.

I have been thinking that it could be possible for another collection or so to exist, my reasoning is comic prices. In what year did GA comics become valuable, I don't mean thousands of dollars for one but maybe $50. That would be the year I would expect to find a collection from in the future.

Just moved to my current address and there's an attic I haven't explored yet. Mainly because I tried going up the ladder and it seemed unstable...lol

I asked my teenaged kids and all three were like "forget that". lol

Still unsure. Anyone wanna come take a gander? I'll provided a flashlight and a free boost...

I have been thinking that it could be possible for another collection or so to exist, my reasoning is comic prices. In what year did GA comics become valuable, I don't mean thousands of dollars for one but maybe $50. That would be the year I would expect to find a collection from in the future.
Yeah, but odds are it would be a crispy brittle poorly kept collection in a barn somewhere. Still a cool find, but not quite the same.

Just moved to my current address and there's an attic I haven't explored yet. Mainly because I tried going up the ladder and it seemed unstable...lol

I asked my teenaged kids and all three were like "forget that". lol

Still unsure. Anyone wanna come take a gander? I'll provided a flashlight and a free boost...

I'd be up there in a jiffy nevermind the risk

Pretty good odds its got batman 1-100 unread