• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA MAY 28-30 SIGNATURE AUCTION

744 posts in this topic

The turtle on the right is telling a fib. His Nedors are really nice.

It is no a question of when to buy....it is where to buy that is the issue...it appears the best chance to get a really good price is gonna be at the major comic book shows on the last days of each...with table prices so high for dealers ....it just you and him...not the whole planet...if it is on ha.com.

Still ha does sell 1730 plus lots over three days so there still should be some kind of good deals left. The ec file copys had top quality issues to chose from... and with good material as said in Field of Dreams: they will come

Majic collection has hit HA.com big time...30 plus books added today....

including Torchy #1 9.0 highest graded copy and "if the devil may care" an insane 9.8 grade...there are several books I have never seen before and you can see them on the Ha.com sign august auction

Majic collection has hit HA.com big time...30 plus books added today....

including Torchy #1 9.0 highest graded copy and "if the devil may care" an insane 9.8 grade...there are several books I have never seen before and you can see them on the Ha.com sign august auction

Mine used to be the highest graded.

lf-1.jpeg

aardvark88 knows the collection better than I do, but expect a tremendous Richie Rich 1 at some point. Very nice B&B 28, all the marvel keys, etc.

Not sure if he's selling those or not, but if he's selling the suspense and harvey hits 3 I'd guess so. Aardvark would know

I have never seen the Showgirls atlas # 1 before wither

And we'll probably never see one sell for more...... that title goes crazy at auction. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

But I am left asking: Who has this kind of money to throw around so recklessly? How are entire auctions worth of Gaines File copies suddenly worth 2X what they were two years ago, or even a year ago? How does a relatively obscure Four Color book go for 3X guide?

Not trying to be snarky, but the simple answer is...collectors like you.

If you had not thrown out that 3X bid someone else would have won it for 2.5X. That person is probably asking himself what "what crazy person bid $650 on a Davy Crockett?"

Yeah that crazy person would be me. But, I'm OK buying it, especially knowing I bought it in an auction scenario. After all it’s one of only about 6-7 books I need in higher grade for the FC run. So I am entitled to be a bit insane in my bidding on occasion.

HA is not especially good in the sense that you can't see if it was a two man bidding war or multiple. I would like to be able to see the bids and who owns them by separate (anonymous) identity. Even on ComicLink you can see bid history after the auction is over.

In May, June July 2013 there was a bidder buying anything, via HA, in a large Four Color run at whatever price it took to win. A lot of that same stuff was sold about a year later on HA often for about half or less of what was originally paid for it. While that artificially inflated the market at the time, this seems different.

The scarcity per the census is a bit of a giveaway of the true scarcity, but having looked for the book for about ten years I know the real scarcity and it’s probably even scarcer than the census would have you believe. The one 9.4 is in an original, old style CGC holder. So you know it was graded over 10 years ago. For nothing else to surface in that time is pretty remarkable.

The guy/gal that could have paid 2 ½ times guide…will never see this book again in his/her lifetime.

But I am left asking: Who has this kind of money to throw around so recklessly? How are entire auctions worth of Gaines File copies suddenly worth 2X what they were two years ago, or even a year ago? How does a relatively obscure Four Color book go for 3X guide?

If you had not thrown out that 3X bid someone else would have won it for 2.5X. That person is probably asking himself what "what crazy person bid $650 on a Davy Crockett?"

Yeah that crazy person would be me. But, I'm OK buying it, especially knowing I bought it in an auction scenario. After all it’s one of only about 6-7 books I need in higher grade for the FC run. So I am entitled to be a bit insane in my bidding on occasion.

HA is not especially good in the sense that you can't see if it was a two man bidding war or multiple. I would like to be able to see the bids and who owns them by separate (anonymous) identity. Even on ComicLink you can see bid history after the auction is over.

In May, June July 2013 there was a bidder buying anything, via HA, in a large Four Color run at whatever price it took to win. A lot of that same stuff was sold about a year later on HA often for about half or less of what was originally paid for it. While that artificially inflated the market at the time, this seems different.

The scarcity per the census is a bit of a giveaway of the true scarcity, but having looked for the book for about ten years I know the real scarcity and it’s probably even scarcer than the census would have you believe. The one 9.4 is in an original, old style CGC holder. So you know it was graded over 10 years ago. For nothing else to surface in that time is pretty remarkable.

The guy/gal that could have paid 2 ½ times guide…will never see this book again in his/her lifetime.

Auction prices are what the real savvy buyers look at anyway...you set a floor price with your purchase at 9.4....I think you will be just fine.....rare and top grade is a great combo...

I would place more confidence in your decade long search for this book than I would the census. Given the low dollar Guide value and lack of information about above Guide sales, I don't think that the census is a reliable indicator of scarcity.

A $250 book is often not worth slabbing. If a dealer has it, they can often get close to full value quickly by selling it raw rather than paying the grading fee and waiting weeks/months for the book to be graded. If a collector owns it, they are unlikely to be very motivated to sell a book that will net them less than $200 after all fees are subtracted, especially when the book is not known to be a high demand, quick-sell issue. The higher the value of a book and the hotter it is, the more likely it is that the census will be correct.

There currently is a raw If the Devil Would Talk for sale on ebay. It isn't colored like the pictured copy. Any thoughts?

According to Overstreet, there was a smaller b&w edition. Whether this is authentically one of them, I don't know.

It will be interesting to see what material ha brings to the table in the "magic" collection if the suspense 3 is any indication ... Look for record breaking prices in this next ha siginture auction.
I think he has more hg silver than gold...9.6 ss ff48 among others

Yes, but the Silver won't be hitting the market until next year.

From my conversations with him last summer and again this year, it looks like he is sticking to his original plan of Gold for this August, with the Silver runs to come next year, and then to be followed up by the Bronze.

Don't believe he actually has that much Gold from a quantity point of view.

Anyone's orders shipped yet? Payed Saturday morning via ACH so they should have had my money Monday morning lol. None of my orders have shipped yet. Curious if anyone is seeing shipments yet.

Anyone's orders shipped yet? Payed Saturday morning via ACH so they should have had my money Monday morning lol. None of my orders have shipped yet. Curious if anyone is seeing shipments yet.

Nope, but I don't expect my order to ship for a while. They can be pretty slow after one of these quarterly auctions.

At least to the likes of you and me. G.A.tor probably had his by Sunday morning! :D