• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stop Marvel From Replacing X-Men With Inhumans!

246 posts in this topic

Well if Cap is a mutant then yes

But technically a mutant is a zygote with changes to the DNA which then replicates to every cell in the body that forms-the odds of every single cell getting the same DNA change would be astronomical.

I'm just teasing.

As I get older I get less attached to the past and more attached to what is good.

I would love the X-men to continue but after overusing them for decades and flooding the market with multiple franchises, they've lived 20 lives that any other character franchise may have lived. You can only pump out so much from one franchise.

I'd never thought of it the way F_T explained it but maybe he's right.

And for those who don't know their history...

For reason of sales, Marvel took new X-Men stories off the shelves in March 1970.

They hadn't got the sales numbers through for the Thomas/Adams run when they did so, but the reason was truly god-awful stories and terrible readership preceding that.

They are pretty much at the same point now, so given what they were able to achieve when they brought them back in 1975, I'm all for it.

Bin the lot of them, bin the convoluted history, bin the millions of characters and almost as many timelines...

Then spend a few years figuring out how to bring them back properly in a way that actually matters.

'Cause what used to be my favourite book...by a million miles..is now utter junk and needs killing off. (thumbs u

But do you want a Marvel Comics Universe with no mutants running around? No Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Colossus, and on and on?

Man, I don't...

Has everyone already forgotten what mutant even means in the MU already? Its not a Captain America serum, its not a terragin mist that pre-disposed select Kree experimentation ala Inhumans. No sadly mutants are human beings with a x gene that evolves from birth as they get older usually during puberty that changes a part of them into a "mutant""

The problem with the current X-men in the comic books isn't their fault, its the fault of shabby writing and ho hum art that is making them stale. I'm in a minority and the x-men completely adhered to my childhood and early adolescence. To say its cool and promotes diversity to let them be chased out of Marvel's future plans based on a hatred for the Fox movie contracts they willingly signed years ago is not the X-men's fault at all its the fault of Marvel. The characters are not flawed Marvel is. X-men thrived and can again. They don't have to be wiped out for that to happen.

is it fair to say that there is more than enough back issue material to keep any new fan saturated with stories to read?

If I were just starting to read comics today and had an interest in X-Men, I would just buy the TPBs and maybe what I could afford of back issues.

If I were Marvel, I would focus on this revenue stream and possibly kill the rest of the X-Men line save the best sellers.

How many X-Men related comics books total are there? I missed the 1990s so I have no idea just how crazy that number might be.

How would you get interested int them. I'm in a major city and I can count only 2 shops that have any back issues anymore to buy and 1 of those is only a small amount of the past 2-4 months. No toys, no press, no cross promotions in media, no cartoons or animated specials. In the past I would agree with you but in today's society if something isn't out there currently it'll go by the way side. 2c

Black Bolts son is taken back in time by Kang after Terrigenessis, and is rumored to be the father of a race of Inhumans (Mutants) that require no Mist or cocoon to activate their gifts, just happens at puberty or high stress situations.

I'm still not following your logic... Are you trying to claim a kid goes to buy X-Men comics and only X-Men comics and he can't find them. Then he just turns around and leaves... Is that your point?

You honestly think a kid would watch DOFP and then go pick up an X-Men book and actually enjoy it? I don't think, with the current X-Men books, that would happen. By far, X-Men is one of the most confusing books in relation to continuity. There are so many characters and back stories to keep straight- it is a mess.

At least with Avengers, a kid would know the back stories and origin. There is still a small resemblance between the books and the films. I don't think that is true with X-Men.

Heck, even as a Marvel reader for 20+ years, I've always been confused with X-Men books.

I think the X-Men movies are closer to the comics than the Avengers are.

How is the back story for the Avengers in the movies anything like the comics? (shrug) I don't remember SHIELD having anything to do with forming the "Avengers Initiative" or any of that nonsense that has been tacked on for the movies.

And for those who don't know their history...

For reason of sales, Marvel took new X-Men stories off the shelves in March 1970.

They hadn't got the sales numbers through for the Thomas/Adams run when they did so, but the reason was truly god-awful stories and terrible readership preceding that.

They are pretty much at the same point now, so given what they were able to achieve when they brought them back in 1975, I'm all for it.

Bin the lot of them, bin the convoluted history, bin the millions of characters and almost as many timelines...

Then spend a few years figuring out how to bring them back properly in a way that actually matters.

'Cause what used to be my favourite book...by a million miles..is now utter junk and needs killing off. (thumbs u

So, because you don't like it, they should just stop publishing those comics. The X-Men titles are still some of the highest selling titles. Deadpool is one of Marvel's hottest properties. Wolverine is still a fan favorite. But hey, if you don't like them, they have to go. :baiting:

I'm in a minority and the x-men completely adhered to my childhood and early adolescence.

I don't think you're in a minority. When I joined this place I was putting a run of high grade X-men together. I still own most of the books. One of the earliest books that I remember buying off the stands and engulfing myself in was X-men #118.

X-men is probably one of the most popular comic franchises of the last 30 years.

I'm in a minority and the x-men completely adhered to my childhood and early adolescence.

I don't think you're in a minority. When I joined this place I was putting a run of high grade X-men together. I still own most of the books. One of the earliest books that I remember buying off the stands and engulfing myself in was X-men #118.

X-men is probably one of the most popular comic franchises of the last 30 years.

No I'm actually consider to be in a minority (disabled from birth) maybe that is why the X-men attached so heavily for me. Professor Xavier and the teams he would create to stomp out Magneto and extended cast of villains are a iconic part of the MU.

No I'm actually consider to be in a minority (disabled from birth) maybe that is why the X-men attached so heavily for me. Professor Xavier and the teams he would create to stomp out Magneto and extended cast of villains are a iconic part of the MU.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

I was bullied as a kid so that might be why they stuck out to me too.

Certainly Stan was great at touching people's humanity through his ideas and writing.

Marvel was great for kids got bullied most they character had been bully then kids read and feel they similar the characters. Dc no bully happen.

I liked it when it was just Uncanny-X-Men, New Mutants and X-Factor, then they got greedy.

Same thing with Spider-Man.

I could accept Amazing Spider-Man, Marvel Team-up and Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-Man

They just got greedy, and diluted their product.

You forgot Classic X-Men.

Also, Web of Spider-Man started before X-Factor.

I don't think the problem is diluting product through publishing multiple titles. The problem is diluting product by not publishing good stories.

Do comic books affect today's movie ticket buyers? Maybe some but more than likely no. Do movies boost comic book sales? Absolutely which is why Marvel's current tactic against fox is so dumb IMO. Ok so they can't do anything about the movies but they could at least be seeing some movie (which don't have to regurgitate the movie plots) boosting profits on their comic book lines. . (shrug)

Do comic books affect today's movie ticket buyers? Maybe some but more than likely no. Do movies boost comic book sales? Absolutely which is why Marvel's current tactic against fox is so dumb IMO. Ok so they can't do anything about the movies but they could at least be seeing some movie (which don't have to regurgitate the movie plots) boosting profits on their comic book lines. . (shrug)

Why would any company want to work with a company that acts like Marvel is now acting towards Fox Studios and Sony Entertainment? Marvel needed those studio deals to survive. Nobody would even care about superhero movies today if the Spider-Man and X-Men movies didn't do well. Marvel was in no position at the time to make their own movies.

The alternative was much worse for Marvel. They would do well to remember that, because it won't always be roses for them like it is now.

Im guessing this is Disney's influence more than it is Marvels.

When you are as big as Disney (remember, they bought Marvel) you basically do ehat you want.

Marvel as a smaller company woukd be forced ti work with other movie studios. Disney is their own studio. They have enough FU money to baically do what they want.

Why would any company want to work with a company that acts like Marvel is now acting towards Fox Studios and Sony Entertainment? Marvel needed those studio deals to survive. Nobody would even care about superhero movies today if the Spider-Man and X-Men movies didn't do well. Marvel was in no position at the time to make their own movies.

The alternative was much worse for Marvel. They would do well to remember that, because it won't always be roses for them like it is now.

+1 I can only think some of this is hey lets back these really cool movies from Marvel/Diseny is because a decent amount of new fans weren't around during the horrible times. During the 90's the comic genre went through some really bad times but since they were not alive its not really relevant to them. If those deals wouldn't have been made at the time Marvel would have filed from bankruptcy and their properties would have been divided up among tons of companies out there. Flash forward to today and hardly any of these films would have been made.

It is ironic back then Marvel needed money or else so Fox & Sony were helpful cause they had the funds to do so. Now its middle finger to these very studios that saved them back then.

I'm sure Fox and Sony did not make the deals because they were nice guys. They were out to make a buck like anybody else. They profited from the deals. Do not look at it as being altruistic. They wouldn't give money to Marvel if they thought they couldn't profit from the deals. Business is business. They all play hardball.

I pulled up monthly sales figures on Comicchron of X titles in March 1995 -- 20 years ago. There were seven -- yes, seven -- X titles in the top 10 alone back then, each selling at least 200K copies or so each. Flash forward to March 2015 sales data, and there are no X titles at all in the top 10, and the highest-placed X title is 19th pulling about 60K in sales. It's fair to say that the X-Men had their time in the sun. I say let Marvel focus in making the Inhumans cool to new readers.

For those of you that think the inhuman comic book is a better financial play here lets take a looks at

Feb 2015 numbers shall we.

comichron

18 All New X-Men 38 $3.99 Marvel 58,037

86 Inhuman 12 $3.99 Marvel 24,689

Yes folks at least one X title is still in the top 20 while the new replacements (Inhumans MCU) is down into the mid 80 ranks. In fact Nightcrawler was around 20 k or so when the decision to pull it was made.