• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman (1939) 1 question

42 posts in this topic

A friend has the possibility to buy a Superman 1. It has had some restoration done to it:

Upper spine split that went through the first few wraps.

Small amount of color touch.

He has it graded at a 6.0/6.5.

What would be a ballpark price for a that book?

You mean it would only bring half of the OPG good price? Kind of hard to imagine paying $80k for a 2.0 and only $30 or $40k because a spine split was repaired and color touched otherwise a 6.0 to 6.5.

To be honest, $30-40k would be a decent bump up from previous restored 6.0ish sales.

So who's got one for sale? I've got $25 to $40k to spend for a Supey #1.

Every year i went to Wonder con 1997 in SF I saw more than 1 copy at 6.0 to 6.5 for 25gs or best offer. :headbang: Restored copys they went up a little.

I am not new to restored comics. Been collecting books for over 40 years. I was around some 20 years ago making the show circuit and we had a restoration guy traveling with us and I used to sit up late at night in hotel rooms watching the guy perform his artistic skills on many a golden-age book. Back then a restored comic with an appearance of 6.0 or better would fetch the vg price any day.

I know this is probably like kicking a dead horse and it's a long time often debated issue on paper conservation/restoration techniques and how it affects the grade and value...and everyone has and is entitled to their own subjective opinion.

I just find it crazy that people will pay $50k to $80k for a 1.8 to 2.0 Superman #1 that is not very pleasing to the eye. And a book that has had a spine split sealed and color touched a bit that is otherwise a 6.0 or better copy is valued at half or less of the good price? I'm talking about light restoration / more like conservation here. No pieces added...nothing really there that is not original except for a minor touch of color. I do understand the concern where the 2 or 3 outerwraps were also sealed at the point. But theres no brittlness or anything...has supple nice off-whitish pages.

Now as for extensively restored...many pieces added...cover cleaned...reglossed..etc. I can see where it may would bring a good 2.0 price if it is 6.0 or higher in appearance. But minor restoration..tear seals, minor color touch...seems to me should fetch a vg 4.0 type value. Still way less than a 6.0 value unrestored. This is just my opinion...I feel that people should consider what they are buying. You want to spend $80k on a strictly good copy...but not the same amount on a copy that is otherwise fine or better in appearance that has wonderful eye appeal and just has a spine repair without piece replacement. I just do not understand that..just as you guys do not seem to understand how I feel.

However...if the consensus is that a minor restored book is only worth half the good price and it appears to be a 6.0 or better? Than please someone offer to sell me one for $30 to $40k. Because I dare not pay more for I'd certainly lose more than my shirt trying to resell it up the road.

I am serious...I would like to purchase one. The one that is being offered to me the person wants the price of a vg-. But after seeing what I've read here today I know that most everyone must feel that is way too high. ANd I do appreciate the input. The ones currently at Ebay slabbed for $59k extensively restored. I know better.

But no one it seems wants to distinguish a difference in value from minor restoration to extensively Frankensteined back together. There is a difference.

For instance...A beautiful Superboy #1 with blazing yellow cover that is vf or better...and someone accidently dropped some green paint on it it gets graded as a fine- or something. But let the paint spill be yellow...it's been restored..it's only worth a vg price or less. I just can't agree with this. The same for tape. A vf comic that has tape on the spine. It gets sold as a vg/f..but if it's glued back together. it's been restored..it's only worth a vg or less value.

Come on...be real..would you rather have a beautiful book that was neatly glued at a tear or spine split or one that has freaking yellowed scotch tape over the tear? I know which I would choose hands down.

Anyhow...this is just my opinion.

The market is wacked on the retro issue, I think a lot of collectors feel the same way, its as if resto is a bad word in our hobby. I will never never understand why conservation is looked at the way it is? deacidification is a GOOD thing cgc! ( not sure on the spelling lol) & sould be a plus not a negative!

Its just crazy that a 1.0 ugly non resto book that looks like a truck ran over it is worth 2/3x what a nice solid looking mod resto 7.0 will fetch. But lets be honest 30 yrs ago if I said someday we will all seal comic books in plastic cases so you can NEVER read them again you would have said I was nuts! Because of this books like ACTION #2 ( a very rare book and a good example) are worth half of what they should be or how about this sickness,,,,,,,,,,,, that beautiful stunning 1969 rs/ss 396 Camaro will arrive at a car show on a trailer and never be driven again " but the vin numbers on the shifter are correct dude!" ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

When any hobby gets people who come to the hobby for future value of said product, not the love of said product this is where we end up IMO.

I want to be clear here I am not throwing stones I am just sayin. Anyone want a few cgc 9.9 Clock & Dagger #1 or Dazzler # 1 ? Because I put a few away back in the day lol. Well got a go look at my covers in my sealed plastic cases.

Well said indeed sir :golfclap: - this is exactly what has me so ticked off lately.

When a much younger customer comes in and announces that he is only looking for books that will maximize his profit margins , it seriously makes me wonder about the sustainability of this wonderful hobby that I have loved for 50 years now.

The market is wacked on the retro issue, I think a lot of collectors feel the same way, its as if resto is a bad word in our hobby. I will never never understand why conservation is looked at the way it is? deacidification is a GOOD thing cgc! ( not sure on the spelling lol) sould be a plus!

Its just crazy that a 1,0 ugly non resto book that looks like a truck ran over it is worth 2/3 x a nice solid looking 7.0. But lets be honest 30 yrs ago if I said someday we will all seal comic books in plastic cases so you can NEVER read them again you would have said I was nuts and because of this ACTION #2 ( a very rare book and a good example) will be worth half of what it should be or how about this,,,,,,,,,,,, that beautiful stunning 1969 rs/ss 396 Camaro will arrive at a car show on a trailer and never be driven again " but the vin numbers on the shifter are correct dude!" ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Well got a go look at my covers in my sealed plastic cases.

When any hobby gets people who come to the hobby for future value of said product, not the love of said product this is where we end up IMO I want to be clear here I like many an old comic guy am guilty of this. I am not throwing stones I am just sayin. Anyone want one want a cgc 9.9 Clock & Dagger #1 or Dazler #1 I admit I put a few away back in the day lol

Bolded section makes me want to cry :cry:

Thanks guys...Glad to see I'm not alone with my thoughts on the resto biz...but unfortunately a victim of the times and non sympathetic vulture investors.

A local friend/collector of mine (same age as myself basically) has the passion and love for the comics as we. Gets his son involved..and all he cares to see are the most expensive books...not the beauty, art, stories, characters...but what are the most valuable books. If that's where its headed...Our hobby is doomed.

I am not new to restored comics. Been collecting books for over 40 years. I was around some 20 years ago making the show circuit and we had a restoration guy traveling with us and I used to sit up late at night in hotel rooms watching the guy perform his artistic skills on many a golden-age book. Back then a restored comic with an appearance of 6.0 or better would fetch the vg price any day.

I know this is probably like kicking a dead horse and it's a long time often debated issue on paper conservation/restoration techniques and how it affects the grade and value...and everyone has and is entitled to their own subjective opinion.

I just find it crazy that people will pay $50k to $80k for a 1.8 to 2.0 Superman #1 that is not very pleasing to the eye. And a book that has had a spine split sealed and color touched a bit that is otherwise a 6.0 or better copy is valued at half or less of the good price? I'm talking about light restoration / more like conservation here. No pieces added...nothing really there that is not original except for a minor touch of color. I do understand the concern where the 2 or 3 outerwraps were also sealed at the point. But theres no brittlness or anything...has supple nice off-whitish pages.

Now as for extensively restored...many pieces added...cover cleaned...reglossed..etc. I can see where it may would bring a good 2.0 price if it is 6.0 or higher in appearance. But minor restoration..tear seals, minor color touch...seems to me should fetch a vg 4.0 type value. Still way less than a 6.0 value unrestored. This is just my opinion...I feel that people should consider what they are buying. You want to spend $80k on a strictly good copy...but not the same amount on a copy that is otherwise fine or better in appearance that has wonderful eye appeal and just has a spine repair without piece replacement. I just do not understand that..just as you guys do not seem to understand how I feel.

However...if the consensus is that a minor restored book is only worth half the good price and it appears to be a 6.0 or better? Than please someone offer to sell me one for $30 to $40k. Because I dare not pay more for I'd certainly lose more than my shirt trying to resell it up the road.

I am serious...I would like to purchase one. The one that is being offered to me the person wants the price of a vg-. But after seeing what I've read here today I know that most everyone must feel that is way too high. ANd I do appreciate the input. The ones currently at Ebay slabbed for $59k extensively restored. I know better.

But no one it seems wants to distinguish a difference in value from minor restoration to extensively Frankensteined back together. There is a difference.

For instance...A beautiful Superboy #1 with blazing yellow cover that is vf or better...and someone accidently dropped some green paint on it it gets graded as a fine- or something. But let the paint spill be yellow...it's been restored..it's only worth a vg price or less. I just can't agree with this. The same for tape. A vf comic that has tape on the spine. It gets sold as a vg/f..but if it's glued back together. it's been restored..it's only worth a vg or less value.

Come on...be real..would you rather have a beautiful book that was neatly glued at a tear or spine split or one that has freaking yellowed scotch tape over the tear? I know which I would choose hands down.

Anyhow...this is just my opinion.

Today most new collectors dont see past the PURPLE LABEL

Today most new collectors dont see past the PURPLE LABEL

I used to be that way until I looked into it a little. If the "restoration" is a conserving method for the book, I see it as getting a deal with the PLOD. I don't buy books to sell them, I buy them because they make me happy.

I will say I one of the newer collectors, and I prefer my books deacidified. I am young enough I will have them for quite some time (hopefully) and I do not wish to see them deteriorate for the sake of market value.

I will say as one of the newer collectors, and I prefer my books deacidified. I am young enough I will have them for quite some time (hopefully) and I do not wish to see them deteriorate for the sake of market value.

I feel exactly the same way. Newsprint wasn't made to last and eventually even all those old books in Blue labels are going to need to be deacidfied. Either that or turn to dust in a plastic tomb.

I will say as one of the newer collectors, and I prefer my books deacidified. I am young enough I will have them for quite some time (hopefully) and I do not wish to see them deteriorate for the sake of market value.

I feel exactly the same way. Newsprint wasn't made to last and eventually even all those old books in Blue labels are going to need to be deacidfied. Either that or turn to dust in a plastic tomb.

The big question is when? If properly stored I don't think we will need to worry about the dust scenario anytime in the next 100+ years.

Also, the market has drastically changed for restored books. Look back even 10 years ago at how cheap a restored book was. In 2004 a Batman 1 in 8.5 with slight restoration sold for $13,800. In 2014, a 7.0 with slight restoration sold for $38,837.50. Personally I think restored books are priced exactly where they should be priced given many sell on the open market where the price is dictated by what two people are willing to pay.