• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 silver age keys in 2015

260 posts in this topic

RMA, please keep your arguing and wall of text in CG. We don't need this here in SA.

:(

Don't you guys think you might be taking this a tad too far,RMA is just trying to make a point in an otherwise flawed assumption.If you guys didn't post s tupid sh-t maybe he wouldn't have to post a wall of text.! :boo:

Cmon Oak, are you really defending RMA?

The guy can turn anything into an argument and into a 50 page thread all about him.

Sorry but I stay in these other forums to avoid it. :wishluck:

I like you all brother. Just seems crazy to add fuel to a fire, when you want to put it out.

RMA, please keep your arguing and wall of text in CG. We don't need this here in SA.

Don't you guys think you might be taking this a tad too far,RMA is just trying to make a point in an otherwise flawed assumption.If you guys didn't post s tupid sh-t maybe he wouldn't have to post a wall of text.! :boo:

The guy can turn anything into an argument and into a 50 page thread all about him.

Yes, good move. I'll just stop replying to him and his little helper Misterio. And I certainly don't want to be the one attracting his (or their) antics to the SA board. He'll probably declare victory, but so be it.

The reason Hulk shot up so much is demand versus supply. There is more demand for the book than there is supply.

It is really simple economics.

Yeah, it's pretty simple...more than twice as many certified copies of FF 45 are reported in GPA as having sold in the last 12 months as Hulk 1. I can only imagine the ratio for raw copies, but it's safe to assume the discrepancy is much, much greater than 2:1.

The reason Hulk shot up so much is demand versus supply. There is more demand for the book than there is supply.

It is really simple economics.

Yeah, it's pretty simple...more than twice as many certified copies of FF 45 are reported in GPA as having sold in the last 12 months as Hulk 1. I can only imagine the ratio for raw copies, but it's safe to assume the discrepancy is much, much greater than 2:1.

Of course. The importance and scarcity of those two books cannot even be compared. There is plenty of reasons why IH1 is higher valued than FF45. I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.

Someone mentioned FF45 as another book that had grown strongly... due to movienews. Which is a known reason.. we know how that works.

The comparison with IH1 was only that no such news came for Hulk really.. Hulk already had his breakthrough in big time movies some years ago. So it must be something else. And it could be many things.

I'm sure we can all agree, Hulk 1 has outperformed just about every other SA mega key on the planet over the last 6-12 months (although AF 15 and SC 4 are putting up a fight). The question is, and also what I believe to be the initial intent of this thread, is whether or not we believe it will continue to surge throughout the 2nd half of 2015? Is the Hulk 1 still the book to own or would speculative Silver Age comic money be better off in greener (no pun intended) pastures?

Mark1...please keep your personal comments to yourself. You don't speak for anyone but you, and it is presumptuous to think you know "what we don't need" in SA. If you have a problem with how people post, take it up with the moderators. If they think there's a problem, they will address it.

What you call an "argument", other people call a discussion. What you call "walls of text" wouldn't fill a single newspaper article 99.9% of the time.

You complain, Mark1, that I make a "50 page thread all about me", but you don't recognize that it was, in fact, you who just did that.

I'm sure that point is lost on you.

I don't comment about how you post, and you frequently post things that I think are unnecessary and inappropriate. If it is too inappropriate, I take it to the mods (which is very rare.) I don't sit and comment about how you post....it is incredibly presumptuous.

Now...are we done making this "about me"?

RMA - Mark1 speaks for many of us and he speaks for the trees.

People can and will take issue publicly with the way you post. Why? Because what you do isn't against the rules, it just makes you an insufferable, pompous, self-righteous waste of space. The moderators don't get involved because this isn't an issue with board rules, it is an issue with you.

Learn to deal with it, because just like your posting style, there isn't anything anyone can do about it.

:shrug: You are too nice and reasonable to get caught up in this! No need to defend RMA, he is perfectly capable of posting large walls of text in a language I can only assume is English (hard to tell sometimes, I fall asleep half-way through most his posts while I am checking the "non-sense to English" dictionary) to defend himself.

Regardless, people feel the way they do for a reason. I wouldn't dismiss it because you are close with RMA or like his POV.

:foryou:

Am I the only one who sees the irony in a complaint about a wall of text that one is too lazy to read from someone who has a quote like "do not write to be understood, write so you can't be misunderstood" in their sig line?

:shrug: Irony is fun?

FYI - writing a wall of text doesn't ensure you won't be misunderstood. If anything, the key to clear communication is brevity.

If the key to clear communication is brevity, why do we have lawyers...?

:popcorn:

(The answer is because the key to clear communication is clear communication, no matter how many words it takes, and it frequently takes a lot, not brevity for the sake of brevity.)

:shrug: You are too nice and reasonable to get caught up in this! No need to defend RMA, he is perfectly capable of posting large walls of text in a language I can only assume is English (hard to tell sometimes, I fall asleep half-way through most his posts while I am checking the "non-sense to English" dictionary) to defend himself.

Regardless, people feel the way they do for a reason. I wouldn't dismiss it because you are close with RMA or like his POV.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in a complaint about a wall of text that one is too lazy to read from someone who has a quote like "do not write to be understood, write so you can't be misunderstood" in their sig line?

FYI - writing a wall of text doesn't ensure you won't be misunderstood. If anything, the key to clear communication is brevity.

(The answer is because the key to clear communication is clear communication, no matter how many words it takes, and it frequently takes a lot, not brevity for the sake of brevity.)

:blahblah: still talking. You are so full of spoon.

Are you really going to waste another thread by filling it with pages and pages of your drivel?

Wait, stupid question. Of course you are, you can't help yourself. doh!

RMA - Mark1 speaks for many of us and he speaks for the trees.

People can and will take issue publicly with the way you post. Why? Because what you do isn't against the rules, it just makes you an insufferable, pompous, self-righteous waste of space. The moderators don't get involved because this isn't an issue with board rules, it is an issue with you.

Learn to deal with it, because just like your posting style, there isn't anything anyone can do about it.

Amazing.

Are you really going to waste another thread by filling it with pages and pages of your drivel?

Because getting involved in yet another attempt to defend myself from your inability to control your emotions will just result in the "pages and pages of drivel" you complain about, I will continue to take this wildly inappropriate commentary to the mods...hopefully, they will do something about it. The irony of you, rfoiii, complaining about anyone else "wasting another thread with pages and pages of drivel", when you are the one who thinks it's appropriate to persistently make discussions personal, is incredible.

Enough already.

To Mark1, Alexander, and anyone else who has a problem with how people post, and don't like someone challenging what they say: make better arguments. Don't get mad because someone disagrees with you...make your case...and if you can't or won't make your case, acknowledge that, if only to yourself, and move on.

The minute...the second...you make it personal, you have defeated yourself. You have allowed your emotions to rule your reason, and that is always a losing proposition.

I won't make it personal. You shouldn't, either. This is not "condescending" or "talking down" or "self-righteous." This is reality, this is reason, this is how it is supposed to work.

Don't be ruled by your emotions, and don't be angry because someone told you not to be ruled by your emotions.

I find it surprising that TTA 27 or TTA 35 aren't heating up as much but there just aren't that many copies around.

TTA 35 happens to have almost as little copies above 9.2 (Hulk has 4 9.2 and TTA 35 has 7 and 1 9.6).

With the movie coming out do we feel TTA 27 or 35 are heating up at all? According to the few GPA sales in 2015 all are moving up.

I find it surprising that TTA 27 or TTA 35 aren't heating up as much but there just aren't that many copies around.

TTA 35 happens to have almost as little copies above 9.2 (Hulk has 4 9.2 and TTA 35 has 7 and 1 9.6).

With the movie coming out do we feel TTA 27 or 35 are heating up at all? According to the few GPA sales in 2015 all are moving up.

The public has never really caught on with Ant-Man, movie notwithstanding.

The movie would have to be a monster success for Ant-Man to overcome 50+ years of general antipathy regarding the character itself. That, and the fact that there have been several Ant-Men, rather than "Peter Parker", "Reed Richards", "Logan", etc, has contributed to this general lack of demand for the character.

Not that several different people carrying the same character name is necessarily a problem...but of the "core" Marvel characters, 1961-1964 creations, the personal identities of these characters has remained pretty consistent.

When we start to see Ant-Man lunch boxes, binders, and underoos, that might be the sign of a change.

Because getting involved in yet another attempt to defend myself from your inability to control your emotions will just result in the "pages and pages of drivel" you complain about, I will continue to take this wildly inappropriate comments to the mods...hopefully, they will do something about it. The irony of you, rfoiii, complaining about anyone else "wasting another thread with pages and pages of drivel", when you are the one who thinks it's appropriate to persistently make discussions personal, is incredible.

Enough already.

To Mark1, Alexander, and anyone else who has a problem with how people post, and don't like someone challenging what they say: make better arguments. Don't get mad because someone disagrees with you...make your case...and if you can't or won't make your case, acknowledge that, if only to yourself, and move on.

The minute...the second...you make it personal, you have defeated yourself. You have allowed your emotions to rule your reason, and that is always a losing proposition.

I won't make it personal. You shouldn't, either. This is not "condescending" or "talking down" or "self-righteous." This is reality, this is reason, this is how it is supposed to work.

Don't be ruled by your emotions, and don't be angry because someone told you not to be ruled by your emotions.

Can't help yourself. Please continue to tell us "how things are supposed to work."

Do you even read what you write? Do you really talk like this in real life? Do you spend all your time going around correcting people on everything and how things should go? If you do, I suspect you are a very lonely person.

Get over yourself.

The movie would have to be a monster success for Ant-Man to overcome 50+ years of general antipathy regarding the character itself. That, and the fact that there have been several Ant-Men, rather than "Peter Parker", "Reed Richards", "Logan", etc, has contributed to this general lack of demand for the character.

Not that several different people carrying the same character name is necessarily a problem...but of the "core" Marvel characters, 1961-1964 creations, the personal identities of these characters has remained pretty consistent.

When we start to see Ant-Man lunch boxes, binders, and underoos, that might be the sign of a change.

How about some undershirts and blankets?

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Dog-Womens-Robot-Tshirt-SkyBlue/dp/B00XH3J6WA/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1432573872&sr=8-15&keywords=ant-man+underwear

http://www.amazon.com/TGRJ-Mens-Tees-Geek-Black/dp/B00X7VRRLO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1432573930&sr=8-7&keywords=ant-man+underwear

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Ant-Costume-T-shirt-Large/dp/B00X689ILU/ref=sr_fsl_cat_softlines_brand_0_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1432574014&sr=1-1-fed_softlines_strip_1&keywords=ant-man

How about a phone cover?

http://www.amazon.com/UniqueBox-Customized-Marvel-iPhone-Rubber/dp/B00VJ93HTM/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1432574090&sr=1-3&keywords=ant-man

This, plus I have always questioned how much movie hype really plays into books that are already four figures. If anything, other lower-profile books becoming more expensive does tend to make the true keys look cheap by comparison which may spur some buying. But I don't know how someone who wasn't previously interested in owning a TTA #27 suddenly decided to go spend $4000 on a copy, or how someone would reasonably play the speculative market with that kind of coin. Maybe it is just me.

I'm sure we can all agree, Hulk 1 has outperformed just about every other SA mega key on the planet over the last 6-12 months (although AF 15 and SC 4 are putting up a fight). The question is, and also what I believe to be the initial intent of this thread, is whether or not we believe it will continue to surge throughout the 2nd half of 2015? Is the Hulk 1 still the book to own or would speculative Silver Age comic money be better off in greener (no pun intended) pastures?

My opinion is it won't drop in price...may stay stagnant a year or two and then it will jump again.

Other keys like TOS 39 and JIM 83 need to follow suit but they just aren't as rare.

I'm constantly amazed at how I frequently pass on selling a key, to then find out its heating up or has jumped significantly.

I almost sold my 3.0 AF 15 for $7500 last year. Good luck at that price now.

I bought my Hulk 1 fairly recently and hit the perfect storm where its worth 2-3x in under a year.

I've sold many key and semi keys on the boards only to never find them again near the price I sold at. I have yet to sell a key and pick it up when it "slows".

The only real times I've seen significant price depreciation is in higher grade CGC's as more become abundant in grade.

If you love funny books, dropping thousands on a key doesn't seem too crazy for about anyone. Dropping tens or hundreds of thousands might seem crazy but its really just an economic line of capacity.

As far as movie heat goes, I don't really care if books like TOS JIM and TTA continue to heat up or just carry the historic trends. I like my copies and want to replace those I've sold.

Mark1 has a good point on general scarcity of certain Marvel Age Keys like Hulk 1, and TTA 13, 27,35. Just not many around in better than 9.0 and when you want to play in the top 10 copies, it gets pricey. And all it takes is more collectors/dealers/investors chasing fewer high grade to watch the historic rise.